April Diamond Crossing

Phylhering

Yes, I'm on. And this will be hubby's first RSSC cruise. I'm glad he's going to have the opportunity of doing the crossing before she's pulled from service. We're also booked on the fall crossing...but not holding my breath on that one.

This will be my third Diamond crossing, and I can tell you we always have a great time. No distracting ports, no early morning wake up calls, no stress (unless you really, really, really get into the daily trivia contest). The eastbound is usually not very full, but since this is her last spring crossing, we may have a good crowd. I've been on when there were 54 guests and also fully booked and there is no difference in the level of service. Can't wait!!!

Since this is my first crossing. What is the weather like usually. Will it be cool and windy or nice. Should I even bother to pack a bathing suit. Also this is my first cruise without a balcony. Will I miss it or will it be too cold to use. On my Diamond cruise last year, I really did not use it that much. Could have used the extra space inside, since all cabins are the same size with or without the balcony.

How many formal nights will there be.

Thanks for your help.

The weather for the crossings is always unpredictable, but since there are no port days weather is less important. Do pack your bathing suit as there will likely be at least a few days when you can be outside, especially right out of San Juan. On the Voyager spring crossing last year there were a couple of days that were so cold and windy they had to close the deck buffet. Since you will also be staying on for the next leg...think layer, layer, layer! One warm outfit for the worst day...a sweater or light jacket for port days....and shirt sleeves for the balance of the trip should be just about right. A travel umbrella should also be on your packing list.

And then there is the balcony question. It's a tradeoff! You'll have a lot more space in the cabin and that's a real plus! After all, without port days you'll tend to spend more time in the cabin. The big picture window actually makes the cabin look bright and airy. I like having the balcony when I sail solo because I like to keep the door open and hear the ocean sounds. But there is plenty of open space on deck so you may not even miss a balcony.

Joanne - thanks for you insight. I am also bringing a portable DVD player and was thinking about bringing some exercise DVDs and with more interior space, it should be easier to do. I know exercising on a cruise but for 14 days I think I will need to do something besides walking around the deck. I think it is like 9 times (or it could be 12 times) around the Diamond is a mile. After a day or 2, I will go crazy and I HATE the treadmill. I have Walk Away the Pounds DVDs which you can do in very little space but more that the Diamond with a balcony affords.

Did you go with the balcony on this crossing? My friends and I were on Silverseas in December, 2 of had balconies and the others did not and they said that with the big picture window, they did not miss the balcony. I too like to keep the door open but when I was coming out of LA to Mexico in November, the first day out and the last day, it was much to cold to keep it open at night.

On this cruise we were lucky enough to snag a suite. We've been together for a lifetime, but we both know better than to try to share a small cabin. Hubby is always up at sunrise, even on a cruise, and I like to stay up late and sleep in. On the fall crossing, we were couldn't get a suite, so took adjoining cabins. Of course, that's a moot point now.

When I sail single, I have always booked a balcony cabin. Remember, I live in Houston where we are dependent on air conditioning for most of the year. It's a real treat to be able to sit on a balcony and read. If the weather is warm enough, room service lunch on the balcony is an even bigger treat. But as a couple, I think the window staterooms are a good compromise.

I'll really miss this ship! Right now I'm waiting for formal notification of the cancellation of the fall sailing., I'm hoping they'll make some accommodation if we transfer to the Voyager. Plus I'm not sure how they'll handle the onboard booking credit if I don't rebook on RSSC. I don't want to lose the $400, but am not keen on the timing of the Voyager crossing. Just have to wait and see.

Archived