no cruise for our little family this year!

portia1780

Just got done with our travel agent. We were looking at Princess this time since it is our 5th anniversary and were hoping to go more upscale (I know, I know), until our travel agent informed us that our infant son (who will be 10 months at the time of projected cruise) will be charged as a full 3rd person. She said the same was true on Carnival, though the 3rd person rate was lower. OMG! $531 (CCL) or $936 (PC) for a 10 month old?!!! Really???!!! That's all our excursion money for the week!!!

Just got done with our travel agent. We were looking at Princess this time since it is our 5th anniversary and were hoping to go more upscale (I know, I know), until our travel agent informed us that our infant son (who will be 10 months at the time of projected cruise) will be charged as a full 3rd person. She said the same was true on Carnival, though the 3rd person rate was lower. OMG! $531 (CCL) or $936 (PC) for a 10 month old?!!! Really???!!! That's all our excursion money for the week!!!

THATS absurd!!!!!

Perhaps it's for the best? How many excursions can you do when you have a 10 month old?

Plenty.. My gf has been cruising every year since her son was 6 months old.. they always have a great time and do an excursion per port... even snorkeling, its usally about 40 min in the water, so she jumps in first while hubby stays on the boat, and then she gets in and hubby goes for a snorkel...

what about disney??? i saw they are offering a kids sail free promo for 2010

Disney may still come out to be a lot of $$$$, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

Perhaps it's for the best? How many excursions can you do when you have a 10 month old?

We were going to go eastern and do beach days... with SPF 2000 and umbrellas. :)

It is because they are charging you with he assumption you will be taking advantage of the kid's program...

DH and I mentioned that and understand. However, there is no program for kids under 2... so what are they charging for?

im looking at the prices for MSC ...caribbean cruises they arent bad and like i said kids cruise free... cant hurt to check it out..ive never cruised with them, but ive heard good things

DH and I mentioned that and understand. However, there is no program for kids under 2... so what are they charging for?

They are probably charging for the Food,drinks, and service for the child. When my son was 9 months old, he ate their food, drank the milk and juice and the waiter/room steward waited on him and cleaned up after him in the room. So I have no problem paying the 3rd person rate..

The Disney is so expensive anyway, that even with a child free it will probably be more than Carnival..

??? Because they don't want children that young sailing? I don't mean that as my belief. I brought my 11 month old on a cruise. If you understand that the child comes first, even on a cruise, then it is perfectly fine to take them. Some people seem to think, when they take a young child, "i paid this money, so I am going to make little jimmy sit through a 2 hour meal in the dining room, screaming and crying, because I don't want to miss out on it"

Like I said, I don't have a problem with taking young children, but I have found that most parents that take YOUNG children on their cruise vacations seem to think it is also a vacation from parenting properly...

??? Because they don't want children that young sailing? I don't mean that as my belief. I brought my 11 month old on a cruise. If you understand that the child comes first, even on a cruise, then it is perfectly fine to take them. Some people seem to think, when they take a young child, "i paid this money, so I am going to make little jimmy sit through a 2 hour meal in the dining room, screaming and crying, because I don't want to miss out on it"

Like I said, I don't have a problem with taking young children, but I have found that most parents that take YOUNG children on their cruise vacations seem to think it is also a vacation from parenting properly...

It's certainly deterred us. Thing is, we wouldn't be considering this if we thought that LO would be a disruption to other ppl. He sleeps through the night, doesn't cry, is very social and happy, etc. And certainly, his father would be mortified if he were acting up in a public place and would return to our room to calm him down.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen many under 2 children on my cruises... this explains it...

The general consensus is that the baby will not be a revenue generating passenger like an adult or older child.

Think about missed opportunity on drinks, gambling, sodas, excursions etc.

Adding on to that point, the baby takes up a spot on the manifest just the same as an adult. Say max capacity is 2500, that's 2500 bodies, regardless of age. If there are 200 babies for instance vs 2 babies(extreme I know) there could be a large discrepnancy in profits that particular cruise would make.

There is very little motivation for a cruiseline to discount for infants.

Archived