Dining Room Entertainment: Does this still occur?

Sailfish

We have a cruise on the Splendor coming up in a few weeks and I was wondering if the waiters still sing and dance in the dining room? I find this practice a little annoying and not very entertaining, so I was wondering if it also occurs in the ANY TIME dining room?

This is one aspect of a Carnival Cruise I do not enjoy, but have come to accept it. It's been a while since our last cruise on Carnival, so I was wondering if it's still done.

Thanks.

They do it one hour and 15 minutes past the start of each traditional seating time. This was on the Spirit. We had an aft cabin and could hear the mic being used.

If you have Your Time and are at your table when they do it, you'll see it.

To be honest, I always feel so embarassed for the men/women doing this (especially our head and team waiters because we have gotten to know them by this point), that I start singing and/or dancing along. On our first cruise I actually joined in the conga line for Hot Hot Hot (much to my DH and FIL's embarassment, but my MIL joined in). I am neither small nor coordinated...it would probably be best for everyone if I just avoided it. We have Your Time Dining on our upcoming cruise, so maybe everyone won't be subjected to my, um, talents.

We were on the Liberty last Oct. We had Anytime Dining. The waiter shows went on each evening, but NOT in the upstairs section of the dining room where we were (Golden Olympian, I think it was). They only did it downstairs. We actually like the shows, and felt a little left out, up there. So we requested a table by the railing every night, so we could look down on the fun.

The final night song is so sad when they go into "you're leaving on a jet plane" and wave goodbye. The whole thing is goofy and corny but I think I would miss it a lot. It is a Fun Ship staple.

oohh I love it when they dance to "Low". Now that's entertainment! :D:p

Haha, as in "Apple Bottom jeans and the boots with the fur..."? I wonder how that translates to different cultures...I'm just thinking of my sister's answer to her rhetorical question "How white am I?".

The answer was "So white that before I moved to Detroit I thought Apple Bottom Jeans were jeans with little apples on the bottom of the legs".

Oh I so hope they do that one on my next sailing.

I am platinum on Carnival, but took my sister on her first Carnival cruise in October...The TA on the Dream. None of our previous cruises together had any dining room entertainment. (But of course, I knew what was coming). She loved it! But then, we had Ken to sing to us...EM

We were on the Splendor last year and we were ready to endure :confused: the dancing waiters once more, however, these guy were really good! Most of them looked like they were really enjoying it and man, some of them could really bust a move! Dancing to "Low" was obviously their favorite and ours too. :cool: We enjoyed their performances because they looked like they were enjoying the moment. Kudos to the choreographer for letting everyone have a little fun!

Haha, as in "Apple Bottom jeans and the boots with the fur..."? I wonder how that translates to different cultures...I'm just thinking of my sister's answer to her rhetorical question "How white am I?".

The answer was "So white that before I moved to Detroit I thought Apple Bottom Jeans were jeans with little apples on the bottom of the legs".

Oh I so hope they do that one on my next sailing.

Yep, that's the song! "Them baggy sweat pants and the Reeboks with the strap...she turned around and gave that big bootie a slap" LOL

It DID look like they waiters were enjoying themselves dancing to it and yes they were REALLY good! That's my favorite song that they dance to. I think it's because it is so unexpected that they would choose this song.

I hope they do it on your sailing too...its quite entertaining. :D

We do not cruise often with Carnival, and though all our past cruises have been enjoyable, the singling and dancing in the dining room does get old after the first couple of cruises! On other lines, it's either not done or done infrequently, so when it does occur on the last night, it's not such a big deal. But every night!

I guess the key is to finish dinner before the entertainment starts. We have late reserved dining - I am wondering if My Time Dining (or what ever it's called) might be a better choice for us.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Suzi

We love it.

And love it more since traveling with our child.

Brings back a smile if we catch one of the tunes when we are landlocked.

HEY BABY!

When we have had the opportunity to cruise on Carnival with someone new to cruising, they too absolutely loved the dining room entertainment. But after experiencing it numerous times, it tends to get old.

Archived