Golden with kids?

crzgrl66

We are planning to take our kids 15, 9 & 6 on an Alaskan cruise. We thought we were all set with RCCL's Rhapsody, but the more I read on this board, the more I think we should try Princess instead. Has anyone taken kids on an Alaskan cruise, can you share your experience

Alaska is a great, kid friendly destination. We have been on three Alaska cruises, two with Princess. There is so much for kids to see and do. We have been whale watching, bear watching, hiking, fishing, played with husky puppies, panned for gold, gone to a salmon hatchery, seen eagles everywhere, watched glaciers calving, and learned about native culture just to give you an example of what is available. If you asked my kids, they would tell you Alaska is their favorite destination, even over Hawaii.

The Golden is our favorite Princess ship. It is beautiful and offers a great experience for everyone in the family as they have things that are fun for all ages, some to do together as a family, some to do as individuals. The kids program on Princess is excellent. Our kids are 15 and 10, and they prefer Princess over all the other lines on which we have cruised.

Princess has a full fledged program when there's plenty of kids onboard, which will definitely be the case if you go between mid-June to late August. We were on the Sapphire Princess RT from Seattle in August 2004 when my daughter was 7.

Princess has an arrangement with the California Science Center to provide itinerary-oriented science activities for the kids. One of the favorite activities is the squid dissection.

Your kids will have a great time on this cruise with princess, whether they attend the kids programs or not. This past summer my family went on the Diamond from Vancouver to Whittier with two twin boys (age 14 at the time) in tow. For the first few days they both refused to have anything to do with the teen club, and they still enjoyed themselves. One day they decided to check out the teen activities and they hardly left the teen club for the rest of the voyage. Princess's activities were great for them and they made a lot of new friends. I firmly reccomend the kids activities for your children, since they will have a great time doing them, but there's really no way kids can't have fun on a Princess Alaska cruise :)

• 2 months later...

Great info everybody! I have 4 kids, 9 total with our group sailing to Alaska on the Golden 7-17-10. I was wondering how many kids would be sailing. My oldest who is 12 and she was asking about an arade. Anyone know if there is one? Did anyone participate in the Chefs at Sea program? That looks pretty interesting. Do you think any of the age groups were overcrowded?

Just an FYI........the Golden's kids area is much smaller than the other ships that cruise Alaska. I am not sure if that might be a factor for you.

Jamie,

Thanks for the info. Doesn't much matter since there really is only 2 days at sea. Additionally, aready booked with the whole family!

we have taken our kids with us to Alaska 4 times; 3 times on Golden. They will have a blast. The indoor pool is a real plus for Alaska.

For the person who asked about the Arcade there is a REALLY small one ( maybe 6 games) not worth bothering with according to my kids.

Enjoy your vacation.

we have taken our kids with us to Alaska 4 times; 3 times on Golden. They will have a blast. The indoor pool is a real plus for Alaska.

For the person who asked about the Arcade there is a REALLY small one ( maybe 6 games) not worth bothering with according to my kids.

Enjoy your vacation.

It was me asking about the arcade. Are you saying that there is an INDOOR pool on the Golden that children are allowed to use? I was under the impression that there was an indoor pool, but for adults only.

Cheryl

I have called Princess in the past and they will tell you approx. how many children in each age group. I agree there is plenty to do and we had Libby Riddles come on board for a dogsledding talk and rangers come on board to talk about the glaciers. There is/was a thread on the family board talking about excursions because whale watching, etc. if great but can really add up for a family. There are many suggestions on the other thread on how to make the most of land time without breaking the bank.

It was me asking about the arcade. Are you saying that there is an INDOOR pool on the Golden that children are allowed to use? I was under the impression that there was an indoor pool, but for adults only.

Cheryl

I know that when we were on the Island Princess and the Sapphire the covered pools were for everyone. Seems pretty cruel for a possibly cold weather/rainy type of cruise like the Alaskan ones not to allow the kids in the pool.

Cheryl

Yes there is a lovely covered pool for all to enjoy. The pools are heated too. :)

Archived