Wheelchairs on Princess Cays tender

barberesr

On Princess website it says this about Princess Cays:

"The line's own private beach call in the Bahamas, Princess Cays, features ramps for easier access."

Here is the web address - under "On Shore"

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na545&submit=pk

As a side, I'm waiting to hear back from Princess regarding the bungalows and tendering.

• 1 month later...

Had a wonderful time on the Emerald. Princess Cays was a bit cloudy but that didn't stop us from getting into the water.

We had been in contact with the access department at Princess to let them know we wanted to get our daughter to Princess Cays.

Once onboard my DH went to the passenger services desk on deck 6, talked with Kynan, he was very helpful and made sure we had correct and complete information - unlike the tour desk which told us she couldn't get off unless she had a collapsable wheelchair - DD who is confined to a wheelchair was last to board and first off the tenders, not required to get out of her chair. I did see quite a few wheelchairs there and it would be quite easy for wheelchair users using collapsible chairs to get to Princess Cays. All the paths are paved and have easy access. There were a few stairs down to the beach from our bungalow.

Hope it helps.

Robyn

I would suggest not renting one of the clamshells at Princess Cay. All the blue clamshells were located over a bridge with steps at each end. There is plenty of shade without renting a shell and you won't have to cross the bridge. Also there are beach wheelchairs available if you want to cross the sand. However you can't keep the beach w/c. It is just to get you from your chair to a seat on the beach. You then transfer and the chair is used for the next person. When you want to go into the water or to the bar-b-q etc. you have to have someone go and get the beach w/c again.

It must depend on the day. We did keep the beach wheelchair all day. Moved our DD from her chair to the beach w/c after getting off the tender and returned it at the end of the day. We had a bungalow and when it started to rain - everything including Julia's own chair went inside. I don't know anything about the clamshells - didn't even see them.

Thanks - I was looking forward to hearing about your trip and getting around. I rented a scooter for the ship for my father and husband. We will have my fathers wheelchair with us. I have been advised to take the wheelchair and not the transfer wheelchair (lightweight with 4 small wheels). I haven't decided for sure though.

I hope that I can get your info on the St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Grand Turk sites.

Thanks again.

In St. Marteen we rented a van from Budget and did our own tour. Since we travel with DD, ages 10 and 13 (in wheelchair) we went to the Orient beach, Maho beach and did some other sight seeing. It was easy driving. Our van rental was about $150 with gas and we bought the insurance since we didn't want any hassles if there were problems. The first van they brought us was dirty and old and very beat up. When we told them we weren't happy, they quickly changed it out to something nicer. There are several car rental places just off the ship and I'm not sure that we got the best deal by making reservations in advance. They all had vans and we had other family members walk up and rent a van. The problem being, we could only rent a van and did not want to take the chance of not getting one. We were one of several ships in dock, one of them being Oasis of the Seas. If we had to do it again, we'd make the reservation and then do a quick price comparison once we got there and go with the best deal. There is no cancellation policy with Budget- so you could just walk up to the window and cancel your reservation if one of the others gave you a better price.

In St. Thomas we also rented a van and did our own tour, however they do drive on the left side of the road. We drove over to Magen's Bay and did some shopping in Charlotte Amalie. We rented from Budget (budgetstt.com) and they came and picked us up at Crown Bay and took us to the rental. When we returned the car, they ran us back to the ship. Nice and efficient. They are rather poor communicators, but if you stay on top of them they will get around to emailing you back. Princess usually docks at Crown Bay and they were the only car rental that we found that would pick us up and drop us back off. All the others wanted us to grab a taxi to and from their site which I thought was a waste of time. We spent about the same amount of money for this rental also.

Gas was double the price once you get closer to the city, so fill up away from the car rental places.

In Grand Turk we just stayed right there at the beach. You get off the ship, walk through a store and can get to the beach. We toyed with walking over to Governor’s beach, but then decided not to. The girls just wanted to swim.

At all three stops, I'd recommend getting off as soon as possible. We ran out of time on St. Marteen and St. Thomas, but then we did our own thing on our own priority and had the luxury of staying longer on the beach and missing some other things.

I think that I’ve covered everything. But if not, give me a shout.

Thanks Bunches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure appreciate you and your information. I am trying to get the info all taken care of. It is hard to take care of everything.

My 87 year old father is going and my husband that had most of his spine replaced is going. I have had lots of problems with my back, so I need to be ready for as much as possible.

Did you find it hard to drive on St. Thomas? I think that we will be the only ship there, so there won't be a mob of people driving all over the island.

On St. Maarten we will be sharing the Island with Oasis of the Sea. I really don't know what to expect with that.

On Grand Turk, if you had wanted to go over to Governer's Beach, would there have been a problem getting there with the wheelchiar?

Thanks again, Elizabeth

Thanks Bunches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure appreciate you and your information. I am trying to get the info all taken care of. It is hard to take care of everything.

My 87 year old father is going and my husband that had most of his spine replaced is going. I have had lots of problems with my back, so I need to be ready for as much as possible.

Did you find it hard to drive on St. Thomas? I think that we will be the only ship there, so there won't be a mob of people driving all over the island. I took the advise of another CC member and reminded my husband "stay left" as we drove. It was not hard and he is a very good driver. Turning right was the only weird part as you always had to swing wide to stay on the left side of the road. The guy that picked us up just said - follow the driver in front of you and you'll be fine". Great advise that worked. It seemed we always had a driver in front of us.

On St. Maarten we will be sharing the Island with Oasis of the Sea. I really don't know what to expect with that. Oasis was also with us on St. Maarten. She had gotten there earlier than us and so most everyone was off the ship by the time we got there. We pretty much had the car rental windows to ourselves. As a side, it was great seeing the Oasis and impressive to see her leave. There was a man on the bow of the ship playing a bag pipe that we enjoyed as they sailed away.

On Grand Turk, if you had wanted to go over to Governer's Beach, would there have been a problem getting there with the wheelchiar? I think it is walkable. Again, my information is gotten from reading other CC members. I read that you walk along side the road that is flat. Other than traffic, which was minimal it is a 15 minute walk or so.

My husband saw several other people get out of the chairs at the tender and take the few steps onto the tender and down the four stairs. Their chair was then folded and put on the tender. Then the process was reversed once we got to Princess Cays. As you probably know the little wheels really sink into the sand. I would take the regular chair with the bigger wheels in the back onto Princess Cays. Even tho there are paved paths everywhere, the sand could be a problem should you want to get closer to the beach.

Thanks again, Elizabeth

You are most welcome.

Robyn

Archived