Roll Call: May 11th AMA Blue Danube Discovery

doreen22

Hi Kathy & Cliff,

Hope all goes well with your flights and that you have a great time this week.

See you on board, and you never know we may bump into you at the Intercontinental.

Your signature is the same as mine:)...which is sort of right as our AMA trip starts on the 11th:rolleyes:.

Anyhow, again, safe travels and see you soon:D. I can't wait!

Susan

Safe travels, Kathy & Cliff.

We'll see you soon. Turns out the Intercontinental is around the corner from the Sofitel, so we'll probably see you out and about! Enjoy London & Paris.

Susan, if you don't mind sending me your e-mail, I'd like to contact you.

fwgrande(at)hotmail(dot)com

Wendy

Hi Kathy & Cliff,

Hope all goes well with your flights and that you have a great time this week.

See you on board, and you never know we may bump into you at the Intercontinental.

Your signature is the same as mine:)...which is sort of right as our AMA trip starts on the 11th:rolleyes:.

Anyhow, again, safe travels and see you soon:D. I can't wait!

Susan

Hey, Susan and Wendy,

We made it! Some of the airports in Wales and Ireland closed because of ash. We upgraded for a larger seat (in between class), but it was sooo cold. The meal was yummy, and the crew was awesome. I didn't sleep as well as my husband, but our drinks were different.

When we arrived we had trouble with the ATM at the airport and everywhere else. We did tour around a bit and learn about the tube, see Piccadilly Square, but although we had notified Chase and another bank of our travel plans, both cards were declined. Most of our half day has been spent going from place to place trying to place a long distance collect call without a credit card. I finally to Chase but was disconnected when speaking with the 3rd person.

I am hoping to be able to use the ATM tomorrow. I have sent an eml to my travel insurance company to ask for help.

I would suggest that others consider bringing extra ATM cards. This wastes precious time.

So glad to hear you made it to London! Sorry to hear about your ATM troubles. It is frustrating to waste your precious holiday time.:(

We weren't able to get Hungarian Forints around here so I am counting on the ATM when we arrive at Budapest....hope you can get yours working tomorrow!

Great to hear from you:).

Susan

Yikes! I called our credit union and they suggested two cards each, just in case our debit cards get declined. Your experience backs up their theory. Hopefully you will be able to get it straightened out tomorrow. What a shame you have to was precious time searching for cash. Good Luck. Thanks for taking the time to update us.

We weren't able to get Forints either. We're taking Euros so we can convert them at an exchange booth, just in case the debit cards don't work.

Thank you, all for the tips about the Danube cruise. We are leaving next week and we will be doing Prague first (on our own) and ending with Budapest. We've been to Budapest before, but will try new things this time.

Carol, thank you for the 2 restaurants you recommended. We will try both in Budapest and Prague.

Any and all suggestions are truly appreciated. We are still not sure if we want to go to Saltzburg for the day. I have to find out what we would do if we declined the side trip to "Sound of Music" area. Thanks, all:o

Thank you, all for the tips about the Danube cruise. We are leaving next week and we will be doing Prague first (on our own) and ending with Budapest. We've been to Budapest before, but will try new things this time.

Carol, thank you for the 2 restaurants you recommended. We will try both in Budapest and Prague.

Any and all suggestions are truly appreciated. We are still not sure if we want to go to Saltzburg for the day. I have to find out what we would do if we declined the side trip to "Sound of Music" area. Thanks, all:o

If you can visit the Old Church in Regensburg, don't miss it. One of the most beautiful churches I have ever been in. Here is a pic from our review.

Dan_IMG_9817.jpg

Hi Wendy,

I am trying not to stress about the volcano situation, but I am sure crossing my fingers & toes:rolleyes:.

I am not looking forward to a flight of several hours longer but as long as I actually land in Budapest I will be ecstatic:D.

Susan

Hi Wendy,

I am trying not to stress about the volcano situation, but I am sure crossing my fingers & toes:rolleyes:.

I am not looking forward to a flight of several hours longer but as long as I actually land in Budapest I will be ecstatic:D.

Susan

It's a little nerve wracking, isn't it? Between the volcano on the way there, and British Airways threatening strike on the way home, this could be one doozy of a vacation.:p

Do you fly Monday? We don't leave until Tuesday evening.

I hope Kathy got her ATM problems sorted. :confused:

Wendy

Hope everyone makes it!

Don't forget to let us know how it all turns out along with any new recommendations. We be following you on the same itinerary in about a month.

Jerry

We hope we make it too!!:rolleyes:

I hope to write a review when we return, just not sure how quick I'll get to it.

Wendy

:DWe "hopefully" fly out Monday evening , 2 hour layover in Amsterdam, then on to Budapest. If our flight is delayed we will likely miss our connection, but I am not even worried about that at this point.

We are flying KLM....at the moment it is looking ok I think...here is what KLM says...

"Flights to other (Southern) European airports may become affected as well. Please check this page regularly for an update of the situation.

The main part of the cloud continues to be positioned over the Atlantic Ocean. As a result, our flights to/from North Atlantic and Carribean destinations currently experience delays of up to serveral hours, due to the fact that the aircraft have to be rerouted."

Oh well, at least we are not going to Greece!

We will be sure to post reviews on our return:D.

Susan

:DWe "hopefully" fly out Monday evening , 2 hour layover in Amsterdam, then on to Budapest. If our flight is delayed we will likely miss our connection, but I am not even worried about that at this point.

We are flying KLM....at the moment it is looking ok I think...here is what KLM says...

"Flights to other (Southern) European airports may become affected as well. Please check this page regularly for an update of the situation.

The main part of the cloud continues to be positioned over the Atlantic Ocean. As a result, our flights to/from North Atlantic and Carribean destinations currently experience delays of up to serveral hours, due to the fact that the aircraft have to be rerouted."

Oh well, at least we are not going to Greece!

We will be sure to post reviews on our return:D.

Susan

We were in Greece 5 years ago today!! So sad to see what is happening in Athens. Hopefully the islands are o.k. for their tourist trade.

British Airways doesn't have anything on their website about volcano delays. We only have a two hour layover in London, so any delay will have us missing our connection as well.:(

Hopefully we will see you in a few days!!

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Our flight appears to be departing as scheduled, yahoo:D!

I am off to my final 4 hours of work (dh has day off), then nail appt, then to the airport.

Hope all goes smoothly for you and us!

See you in Budapest!

Susan

I just finished looking through your great review of the Danube cruise. We are doing the same cruise (in reverse) this Saturday. I really appreciate all your info and pictures. I hope to try the restaurants you suggested. Thanks, again. :o

I just finished looking through your great review of the Danube cruise. We are doing the same cruise (in reverse) this Saturday. I really appreciate all your info and pictures. I hope to try the restaurants you suggested. Thanks, again. :o

You are most welcome. I hope you have an absolutely wonderful vacation. Enjoy!

Now we are facing the British Airway's strike AND more ash!!! We are flying out of Logan (BA) to Heathrow this Sat night. We are going to be very disappointed if we don't get on the cruise. Good luck to all of us with our upcoming vacations.

Now we are facing the British Airway's strike AND more ash!!! We are flying out of Logan (BA) to Heathrow this Sat night. We are going to be very disappointed if we don't get on the cruise. Good luck to all of us with our upcoming vacations.

We leave tonight on BA out of Toronto. If the ash co-operates we should be in Budapest (after a connection at Heathrow) by noon tomorrow.

Our flight home on the 24th from Prague (also through Heathrow) could be rescheduled due to the strike. We're heading to the airport soon, and are hoping for the best.

It sounds like BA are going to try to operate as many flights as possible, but that's small comfort when a years worth of planning is up in the air.

Safe Travels.

Wendy

The keys on the keyboard are in different places-was worse in Paris though.

Had a great time there. Finally got Chase ATM straightened out in London. We stazed at the Ramada Encore in or near N Acton, and the desk staff were soo helpful.

Very pretty here, but today it is raining. People are so friendlz, and manz speak English. Prettz manz Americans in the Intercontinental. Internet at hotel is slow and hard to use.

Not doing so well at sightseeing. Had hoped to go on a walking tour todaz, but not in the rain.

Susan, unlikelz to see zou at the hotel.

I don't know where the riverboat will be, but I am guessing on the Buda side.

Hope zou have or had a smooth flight. British Air maz go on strike again? Oh, well, tell us more on the ship. (We do have CNN, but it is all about the new PM.) It would be better to wait here than at home missing the boat, at least I hope so if it comes to that.

The keys on the keyboard are in different places-was worse in Paris though.

Had a great time there. Finally got Chase ATM straightened out in London. We stazed at the Ramada Encore in or near N Acton, and the desk staff were soo helpful.

Very pretty here, but today it is raining. People are so friendlz, and manz speak English. Prettz manz Americans in the Intercontinental. Internet at hotel is slow and hard to use.

Not doing so well at sightseeing. Had hoped to go on a walking tour todaz, but not in the rain.

Susan, unlikelz to see zou at the hotel.

I don't know where the riverboat will be, but I am guessing on the Buda side.

Hope zou have or had a smooth flight. British Air maz go on strike again? Oh, well, tell us more on the ship. (We do have CNN, but it is all about the new PM.) It would be better to wait here than at home missing the boat, at least I hope so if it comes to that.

We are staying at the Interc Hotel after our cruise. How is the breakfast buffet? How far away is the ship? Also, do you need a converter and or an adaptor to recharge electronics?

We are staying at the Interc Hotel after our cruise. How is the breakfast buffet? How far away is the ship? Also, do you need a converter and or an adaptor to recharge electronics?

Breakfast buffet is lavish, but we didn't try it.

Coffee in room is instant!

Hotel itself is beautiful and is on the Danube.

Amalegro is parked across the river, so a cab is necessary.

We ate at Cafe Kor, but also loved Menza.

There is shopping near the hotel at Vaci Utca or you can take Tram 2 to the Open Market-go to 3rd floor, 2nd is mostly food.

We also enjoyed the Free Walking Tour, but it was strenuous going uphilll and up lots of stairs.

Not sure about converter-hotel is on Euro electricity. They may have a converter...?

This computer is much better!!

Not sure about converter-hotel is on Euro electricity. They may have a converter...?

This computer is much better!!

Thanks for all your info. We are leaving Sat. night. Have a wonderful cruise:)

Archived