Caribbean - when to go???

bjkTX

DW and I have decided to do the Western Caribbean out of Galveston as our 3rd Princess cruise. The big question is when? We really don't want to be run over by Spring breakers or hurricane waves. Is there a best time to go based on those limits? :-)

We're getting married on the CP in May! I was starting to think the temp might already be too hot, but we couldn't pull things together for January/February and I know that hurricane season wouldn't fly with my cruise-nervous family, so May seemed great. I am happy to have that confirmed! :-)

Cruising in the spring, may or june, should be fine. The temperatures in the carribean are hot all year round so that is not a factor. One good thing about that time of year is that many, many ships are off to Alaska and the ports that you call at will be less crowded. I usually cruise in december but I have done cruises in the spring and it was amazing to stop at St Thomas and find only 2 ships in port....it was great.;)

If you can't book for this season, Grand Princess will return to Galveston next year. Sailings will take place roughly from October through April. I might suggest that the best times would be between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and during January and February, excluding Presidents' Week. I would avoid the first couple of cruises in October because I think it takes a few weeks for the crew to reacclimatize after repositioning.

I travelled to the Southern Caribbean last May and it rained almost every day. We had 5" of rain the day we got back to San Juan. Will be traveling back to the same area in a couple months and am hoping for better weather.

As an FYI, there are sites on-line that list average rainfall/precepitation by month for every caribbean port. March seemed to be the best over all from what I could tell.......

~Paul

Archived