Holiday Inn Express Hollywood Walk of Fame or go with Priceline

cotton93

Hope someone can help with this one. We will be staying in LA September 26 - 28, after cruise on Carnival Splendor and before heading up to Vancouver.

We have never been to LA before and want to stay somewhere central to get around without a car and to the touristy stuff (maybe pick up a tour) any tour company suggestions ?

Searching on various sites have come up with Holiday Inn Express Hollywood Walk of Fame, gets pretty good reviews and is reasonably priced, then was thinking maybe give Priceline a go with their name your own price for a 4* (haven't used them before), which would be the best way to go?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

My Dad stays at the HI Express Hollywood Walk of Fame and he is very pleased with it.

Jen in SoCal

Hope someone can help with this one. We will be staying in LA September 26 - 28, after cruise on Carnival Splendor and before heading up to Vancouver.

We have never been to LA before and want to stay somewhere central to get around without a car and to the touristy stuff (maybe pick up a tour) any tour company suggestions ?

Searching on various sites have come up with Holiday Inn Express Hollywood Walk of Fame, gets pretty good reviews and is reasonably priced, then was thinking maybe give Priceline a go with their name your own price for a 4* (haven't used them before), which would be the best way to go?

cotton93!

Please don't do Priceline for this one!

Without a car, for what you want to do - you could end up in the boonies and end up having to spend so much more in time, effort, and money that you would if you just choose the right hotel in the right place for you...

So...

Holiday Inn Express there, is definitely not my favorite for what you could get in comparable pricing.

What is your budget range?

I can help you out with specifics if I know that.

There are other hotels that can get you what you need, in a little bit nicer areas with equal or better tour or public transportation.

You've got to get the right place though.

LA is not as easy as any other city.

Let me know your budget range, and ideals, and I can help you get to the best for what you need.:cool:

Side Note to Jen in SoCal:

Jen!

We need to say "Hi" in person or something, as I think you're pretty close to "The TMZ"!

Face to the name and all that...:)

My Dad stays at the HI Express Hollywood Walk of Fame and he is very pleased with it.

Jen in SoCal

Let me know the next time your dad needs some hotel hookups here - I'm sure that we can figure out something that he would like even better than the HI Express there...:cool:

I'm more than happy to help.:D

cotton93!

Please don't do Priceline for this one!

Without a car, for what you want to do - you could end up in the boonies and end up having to spend so much more in time, effort, and money that you would if you just choose the right hotel in the right place for you...

So...

Holiday Inn Express there, is definitely not my favorite for what you could get in comparable pricing.

What is your budget range?

I can help you out with specifics if I know that.

There are other hotels that can get you what you need, in a little bit nicer areas with equal or better tour or public transportation.

You've got to get the right place though.

LA is not as easy as any other city.

Let me know your budget range, and ideals, and I can help you get to the best for what you need.:cool:

Hi Curt,

We are hoping to pick up accommodation for no more than $175 per night, it doesn't have to be Hollywood, just somewhere in good area that would have easy access to eating out but nothing fancy.

We will be coming to LA from Long Beach after the cruise so unsure as to what time we'll get there, next day will be the only full day there as we have a flight out of LAX at 8.30am next morning to Vancouver (maybe factor that in, for getting out to the airport early in the morning).

Will more than likely do a full day tour on the 2nd day, thinking this would be a best way of seeing the sights rather than trying to do it ourselves with limited time.

We are an active 60 yr old couple.:)

Many thanks

Merrilyn

Hello Curt,

Hope your still reading this thread and if you are I would like to ask a question. My wife and I and are coming into LAX early Saturday,8:30AM, for a cruise on Sunday out of San Pedro. We already have the Crowne Plaza booked for Saturday night. I have a car rented from LAX returning it in San Pedro on Sunday morning. We were planning on going to Santa Monica Saturday morning and having lunch there. The question is would we have time to drive from Santa Monica to Hollywood and have a look around or do you think I would be pushing it? Also, do you think I would have time to park in Hollywood(where to park?) and just walk around a little. We are in no big hurry to get to San Pedro to check in. Although, we will probably eat dinner there unless you would have other recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide or other recommendations.

Jeff

Hi, I actually mentioned to him the Sportsmen's Lodge that you like. He goes to the Hollywood Bowl a lot and that is when he stays at the HI I believe. Is there something better that is walkable to the Hollywood Bowl and places to eat? He stays in the LA area a lot for different musical events because he no longer likes to drive home late at night and the train does not run back to Orange County late enough most of the time.

Jen in SoCal

Side Note to Jen in SoCal:

Jen!

We need to say "Hi" in person or something, as I think you're pretty close to "The TMZ"!

Face to the name and all that...:)

Let me know the next time your dad needs some hotel hookups here - I'm sure that we can figure out something that he would like even better than the HI Express there...:cool:

I'm more than happy to help.:D

I am not Curt but I will chime in! You will have time to drive to Hollywood. I like parking at the Hollywood and Highland complex. You come right out at the Chinese theater. There are lots of restaurants if you want to have dinner before heading to the hotel. There is a photo opp spot of the Hollywood sign. You can check out the walk of fame as well. You can get your parking validated at the complex and pay less for parking (not free).

Jen in SoCal

Hello Curt,

Hope your still reading this thread and if you are I would like to ask a question. My wife and I and are coming into LAX early Saturday,8:30AM, for a cruise on Sunday out of San Pedro. We already have the Crowne Plaza booked for Saturday night. I have a car rented from LAX returning it in San Pedro on Sunday morning. We were planning on going to Santa Monica Saturday morning and having lunch there. The question is would we have time to drive from Santa Monica to Hollywood and have a look around or do you think I would be pushing it? Also, do you think I would have time to park in Hollywood(where to park?) and just walk around a little. We are in no big hurry to get to San Pedro to check in. Although, we will probably eat dinner there unless you would have other recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide or other recommendations.

Jeff

Jen,

Thanks so much for the great info. Is the Hollywood and Highland Complex a shopping area or where the two streets come together?

I like the idea of eating dinner down there instead of waiting until we get to San Pedro. Would you have any recommendation for a restaurant? Any kind of food is fine with us.

Jeff

It is a shopping and eating complex where the two streets meet. There is a California Pizza Kitchen and a Johnny Rockets, we like both. There are a lot of choices though.

Jen in SoCal

Jen,

Thanks so much for the great info. Is the Hollywood and Highland Complex a shopping area or where the two streets come together?

I like the idea of eating dinner down there instead of waiting until we get to San Pedro. Would you have any recommendation for a restaurant? Any kind of food is fine with us.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Jen on parking at Holywood and highland. ANd Curt is dead on when he says, hotel and location is important. There is so much and it is so spread out, I cant imagine trying to do it without a car. I suggest getting on Google maps, typing in Hollywood, CA for the address and do a virtual tour of the city to see what and where everything is.

Archived