Tulum Mayan Ruins

Kitchenditcher

We went about 1 year ago and really enjoyed this excursion. It takes most of the day, as you have to take a ferry across to Playa del Carmen and then a bus to Tulum. The only part of the tour we didn't enjoy was the box lunch they provided -- if I did it over again, I'd stop in the McDonalds which is right there when you get off the ferry in PdC and buy my own lunch ;) .

The tour at Tulum included a guided tour (our tour guide was great and spoke good English) and then time to wander around on your own. There is a beautiful beach you can get to from Tulum -- I've read suggestions that you can wear your bathing suit under your clothes and hit the beach during your "free time".

On the way back, we had about 1 hour to shop in PdC before catching the ferry back. I enjoyed that much more than the shopping in Cancun -- maybe we were just lucky, but the vendors didn't seem to be the really pushy kind you find in Cancun. By the time we got back to the ship (we were on the Sea), it was dark, and it was neat to see the ship with all the lights on.

On word of warning, it was really windy the day we were there, and quite cool and overcast. For me, it was great for looking around Tulum as I'm not a big fan of hot, humid weather. The downside was that it did make for a very, very bumpy ferry ride. If you are at all prone to motion sickness, make sure you go prepared. It was windy enough coming back on the ferry at night that my sisters were getting pretty queasy. In fact, it was so windy that the Sea was delayed leaving port by about 2 hours -- the wind was blowing the ship back into the pier, and the captain didn't dare leave until the winds died down a little.

Thank you so much for replying. Information was very helpful. I think I can handle McDonald's for one meal during the week! Great suggestion. I think we will also wear suits under our clothes for some beach time. Neither hubby or I get motion sickness so I think we will be okay for any kind of rough ride. Thanks for the thought. And lastly, I'm not sure if I should say this, but.......we are huge BYU fans. Got a daughter going to college there right now!!! Go Cougars!!

Go Cougars??????? Sorry, we're rooting for the Utes BIG time this year. Unfortunately, my daughter keeps hooking up with boyfriends who are BYU fans, so I'm learning to deal with the fact that people actually root for them -- LOL. Hope your daughter is enjoying BYU -- it really is a good school. One of my nephews graduated from the "Y" a few years ago. We just have to keep teasing him that he's the "black sheep" (maybe it should be "blue sheep") of the family.

If you have any more questions about Tulum, please feel free to email me. There were certain cultural and religious aspects to the tour that really hit home. We really enjoyed the experience. If you're interested, my email (drop the extra spaces) is ute_fan_79 @ yahoo.com

That would be SO great! Would really appreciate it. By reading some other threads on Tulum, we hear it takes a while to get there but most people have really enjoyed it once there. If you are a BYU graduate, then I am going to assume that you are LDS. Even though we will be on the tour with the ship I am interested in an LDS guide and am willing to pay extra for one. Last night I received an email from a gentleman that says there are LDS guides at the entrance to Tulum where you get on the tram to go in and their fee was $40 which might be able to be negotiated. I think probably definitely worth it. Just for your information in case you are interested. Have a great time! Can't wait to hear when you get back!

Okay, I admit, I had to look up LDS.

kitchenditcher, I would be very surprised if you could find an LDS guide at Tulum. I don't want you to go with false expectations. May I ask who was the gentleman who told you one would be available?

At the risk of boring everybody else on this board, we were at Tulum last year and some other members of our group were using an LDS tour guide. Don't know how they found her (in this case it was a lady), but I know she has a large family that does tours of Mayan ruin sites. Having heard her personally, I know they are available.

I just happened to run across a website from someone who had visited there and underneath his pictures he commented that there had been an LDS guide while he was there and offered his email address for anyone with questions. So I just emailed him and he answered back. I don't know any names and if there isn't an LDS guide, we will enjoy the ruins just the same. No worries!:)

Hi,

I look forward to a trip to Tulum at the end of this year. I am also of the Jewish faith, and an LDS guide would be of great interest to me. If you would send me the Url, and if you can guides name, I would really appreciate it. My e address is bruso7@comcast.net

Hope you have a great trip, and Thanks.

Best,

Bruce

Hi!

I took this tour on the Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise in mid-December. It was very interesting and there is a beautiful beach below the ruins. By all means, wear your swim suit under you shorts and take a towel. You might not find a more spectacular setting during your entire cruise!

The sack lunch was not much, but then I did not go for the food!

Have a great cruise and enjoy Tulum!

Archived