cruise time?

jojogana

when it talks "cruise time", what does that mean? is there a time difference between "cruise time" and iowa time? and does it interfere with air times? thought i should know before i book my fights.

Also, any recomendations on when i should book my flight to and from miami from moline illinois, or chicago ill? traveling SAME day as cruise because of work therefore dont have a choice but to travel same day as departure and arrival.

if i pack soda for the cruise in my checked luggage, will the airport screeners remove it or can i do that?

what other things can i bring? i know alcohol is a big nono so i am not even going to try it...whats the point. but can we bring water, snacks, or anything like this with me without cruise lines or air ports taking them?

thanks

jodi

Cruise time is the ship time or miami time which is eastern time. I have booked airfare with airtran from moline on the same day that I have cruised but was held up in Atlanta and almost didn't make it to the ship on time. I think we got there at 3:30 pm and almost missed the ship. We also had the taxi stop at a convenience store for pop and water. I didn't try to fly with that. I guess what I am saying is it is possible but atlanta gets congested and is a big risk. Good Luck. What time of the year are you going and what ship. I think I would at least book the 5:30 am flight.

I live in Indiana and with our weather in Jan I would personally try to find a way to fly in the day before. I flew in the same day on my first cruise and since then I fly in a day before. It just makes for a more relaxing trip.

I would just be worried about the weather in Jan - you never know.

1 I would never fly out of the Quad Cities in the middle of winter on the same day and expect to be there on time.

2 If it is not possible to fly in a day earlier make sure you get good insurance as you have a higher than likely possibility of not making it.

I was on the GLory 5 years ago. Great Ship!!! You will have a blast. I love the Atrium on the Glory. Make sure you eat at the Steakhouse it was fantastic.

If you can get an earlier flight out of ORD that is what I would do. Nonstop is your best choice. I don't know when you can get off work but maybe a red eye would be better. I have done that before and parked at a hotel near the airport for a moderate price. I think Airtran is you cheapest flight from Moline but you are really cutting it close. Good Luck

I am really excited for you. Wait until you get off the ship, you will be looking to book another and then your addicted. :D

If you can, I would book the red eye flight the day before the cruise or the first one available after you get off work because you don't want to take a chance with your kind of winters. You can always sleep after you are on the ship.

I would fly which ever one offers the most flights to wherever you are cruising out of. That way if you happen to miss one you can get the next one out. Also I would make sure I had a passport so if for any reason you miss the ship you can fly to the next port of call and meet the ship there.

If you have read any horror stories at all here on cc you will try your darndest to get there the day before. What about flying in the evening before? It is soooo worth the piece of mind to be in the same town on the morning of sailing. AND you are rested and ready to go. January is a scary travel month from the mid-west. Just look at the bad storm in the southern states this week. Glad I took my cruise before that hit.

I would buy soft drinks etc before you get on the ship. TOO heavy carrying them around. Airline baggage handlers look like they are handling precious china compared with the way the luggage is handled at the docks and on the ship. They pile luggage into huge cages that are about a six by six by six foot cube. I have seen my luggage on the very bottom of that pile. I wouldn't want a 12 pack of Coke in there.

Good luck. You have a long time to worry and fret about all this stuff. I sympathize with you. I do the same. Worry about every detail.

we are going january 11, 2011, with the glory. we are first time cruisers and dont want to miss a thing! especialy the cruise lol

Jojo, I mean no offense here really but I think you're nuts to try it.

Have you read these boards at all?

You are traveling from Iowa, which gets TONS of ice/snow/cold in January, I'm betting not a direct flight to Orlando and then to top it off it's at least 45 minutes from the actual cruise port. Glory is in Cape Canaveral, not Orlando, it's 125.00 cab fare from the airport.

You will make your cruise IF 1) the weather AND mechanics allow your flight to leave on time 2) weather or mechanics allow your connecting flight to meet you on time and 3) if you get to the cruiseport on time.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much strese and what if's for me.

I've cruised on Glory twice. I'm from Omaha, Ne so I totally understand your weather in Iowa. I feel my vacations, and cruises in particular are too precious to chance not making it. I'd suck it up and take an extra day off and spend the night in Cocoa Beach.

BTW good hint is go a day ahead, rent a car from Orlando airport, drive to cocoa beach and return car to the port keosk they will shuttle you to the port. No stress, great time. Raddison hotel is within sight of port.

Good Luck however it goes,

Carole

I know American Airlines has a flight from Ohare at 7 pm or around that time and is non stop but it usually runs about 300 pp. You would arrive in Miami about 11:30 pm. But since flights only go out about 9 or 10 months who knows what they will do next year. Airtran from moline will probably be around 200 if you could possibly fly in the day before you could save some cash. In Jan 2008 my son was lucky enough to have to spend the night in Atlanta airport on a hard bench.:eek: (no hotels available) We drove and made it home before he did. That goodness it all happened post cruise.

thanks all, wonder if too late to change dates.....it is our 10th anniversary, never went on honeymoon kinda thing. oh well. honestly never thought of the winter weather when we booked, just too excited and wanted to do something for our achievement.

thanks again

Who did you book with. You can change dates prior to final payment which is usually 70 or 75 days prior to sail date but carnival will charge you a $50 pp administrative fee. or if you booked with a Travel agent they may not charge you. ALso if you booked early saver remember to watch for price drops every day so if you find a cheaper rate you can get on board credit. I have always gotten rate drops:D I think my streak is going to be broken on the Dream in august though because I booked eons ago and the price just keeps going up:eek:

we actually got it oked by employer to leave day earlier, GOD BLESS PERSONAL DAYS!!!! also situated with our baby sitter so we are going to book flight early sat. morning, the day BEFOR our cruise just in case of any delays.

thanks to everyone who posted!!

glad i asked this question!

about the early saver, we did this choice and if the price does drop befor cruise, who do i contact? we booked through the carnival on the internet.

thanks!

If you are forced to fly same day in winter it is best to book a non-stop flight. Changing planes can only add complications and possible delays. If you cannot fly non-stop from the Quad cities you should consider Chicago or St. Louis.

Jojo,

When we do the winter thing we always make sure our plane changes take place in warm places. We can't get direct to nearly anywhere from Omaha, but we make sure we change in DFW, ATL and never in Chicago or Denver (NEVER change in Denver if you can avoid it:eek:)

Just my 2cents

Jojo,

When we do the winter thing we always make sure our plane changes take place in warm places. We can't get direct to nearly anywhere from Omaha, but we make sure we change in DFW, ATL and never in Chicago or Denver (NEVER change in Denver if you can avoid it:eek:)

Just my 2cents

Agreed- and I fly out of Denver. Great that you arranged to leave the day before. Keep track of the fares but otherwise try hard to forget about the cruise for about 8 months or you will truly drive yourself nuts. THEN begin to get excited.

Archived