Belize How safe?

gilby

Belize City is certainly not for everyone.

I love Belize the country, but am not hugely fond of Belize City. It's sketchy, there are unsafe areas, and you probably don't want to be walking around after dark. In Belize City.

But the rest of the country? Beautiful, friendly people, lots of things to do from visiting Mayan Ruins, snorkeling or cave tubing- awesome fun! But ya gotta get out of the city to do any of these.

It's unfortunate that many cruisers only get to see Belize City and then their impression of the country is formed based on that- agressive vendors, dirty, yadayada. The rest of the country is not like that- but you need to get out of the city to experience the real Belize.

Book a tour.

If you are going to Lamanai or Xunantunich (farthest away ruins) book a ship's tour. If you are already an independent traveler, book a tour suggested here with positive recommendations.

If you are a worrier book a ship's tour.

If you don't want to sit on a bus/van for an hour + each way, book a snorkel/water tour.

If you are a total do-it-yourselfer/free spirit/experienced backpacker type- go to Caye Caulker on the water taxi, but read Blessedwith12's nightmare first.

If you're still shaking in your shoes and nervous about all this- stay on board and enjoy a quiet day on the ship.

No matter what you do- enjoy- Belize (the country) is beautiful.

I've been to Belize twice and never had an issue-although the first time I didn't leave the port area. The second time several in our group did an excursion with a group called Coral Breeze, whom I highly recommend! We did a Manatee watch, snorkel, and Island break tour which I must say was one of the highlights of my cruise. Didn't see too many Manatees, but it was a relaxing boat trip in the Mangroves. Bannister Island was gorgeous for a beach break, and the snorkeling was great! (Belize has the second largest barrier reef system in the world.) I am not an experienced snorkeler and the people in this group are very patient and made sure I had a great experience. I think you would be doing yourself a big favor to explore this beautiful place. Just make sure you research it well!:)

Last February my cruising group took the Coral Breeze excursion to Banister Island. I have to say the Coral Breeze guys were great and very patient and enjoyable. However, I was disappointed in Bannister Island. The shopping was primitive at best and the deals were not apparent. The good on the island is expensive. The snorkeling and the manatee watch was good...again no manatees..I wonder if they are actually there...but the stingrays were available and we saw and got in the water with them. The reef was excellent but I have heard that it is Roatan island that has the second largest barrier reef...perhaps they are connected to Belize.

So becareful if you want an island experience with good shopping and food don't go to Bannister island...if you want a good snorkeling experience I think Coral Breeze offers a good value for the the money. I haven't checked the prices online yet because I am going back to Belize in June...Anyone else have something to add.?

• 2 months later...

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=16726

"Robbers on High Speed Boat Attack Tourists

posted (April 16, 2010)

Three cruise tourists were mugged on Wednesday in Belize City. It occurred in broad daylight near the Baron bliss Lighthouse at around midday. Apart from the fact that it occurred in broad daylight – what’s shocking is that the attackers pulled up on a boat. It happened near the Radisson Hotel and manager Jim Scott told us more.

Jim Scott, General Manager - Radisson Hotel

“There were some cruise tourists who got off a bus on Cork Street and they were offered a drink at Smoky Mermaid and it appears they didn’t take it or maybe they did but they wanted to walk back to the Tourism Village by way of Animal Park, Baron Bliss and so forth. Apparently there was a boat moored up by the sea wall and there were several assailants that got out and mugged these tourists, beat thet them, took their belongings and then sped off in the boat. They didn’t understand why they were dropped on an empty street in Belize City when they were picked up at the cruise terminal. The other dilemma is that they were so close to the star hotel in the country, they were so close to a national monument, Baron Bliss Site. They were so close the tourism village, and there was no really no one there to give them aid.”

And if you are wondering why cruise passengers were in the area -tomorrow night Jim Scott will tell us why and why he has a problem with it. In addition to yesterday’s incident, Scott says one of his hotel guest was robbed and assaulted in downtown Belize City on Saturday. What’s saddening is that no offered to assist."

Sorry about the incorrect day in my title. This happened on Wednesday not Friday. Yes, I know this can happen anywhere. I just posted the article as info to those who might be interested.

This is no reason to stay inside the gates. yes, the sales people outside push their product hard, but that does not make it unsafe. Belize is as safe as any other big city in the US. Take a few common sense precautions and you will be fine.

I am amazed at how so many people equate a lower standard of living than they are used to seeing with unsafe.

LOL did you see BEliz City??? NO its not safe !!!! we took horse ride tour and I was glad we come back to port!!! Beliz its only for orginazed tours .

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Belize City on Carnival Glory April 21st. After returning from a ship tour, we asked our tour guide if it was safe to go outside of the gates. He said Yes, but not after dark and that there are security guards and plain clothes police everywhere. We walked out of the gates past several people trying to get us to take a tour. We said "No, Thanks" and they left us alone. We talked to the vendors and bought a couple of things and found them to be very pleasant people. We were more worried about getting ran over by cars and horses than being mugged. We saw several security guards along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

On our cruise last year at the Belize City port we went out the gates walked a bit and found a nice cab driver (Eddie), told him what we wanted to see, agreed upon a fair price and went. My husband is a chef so he wanted to see the local street market. Our driver took us, parked and walked us thru the streets. Yes it was dirty. Yes it was foreign. This was of course the point. We bought several things, spices for chicken, and a prepackaged coconut milk (Leche de coco) used to make a rice dish recommended by the driver. We asked about a rum distillery and we went to 1 barrel. After buying some rum only available there (the private selection) we were about to buy some t shirts when our driver came up to me a suggested he could take us where they were cheaper. He took us to a manufacturer outlet where we bought our gifts. He drove us thru both the low and high ends of Belize City. He took us by the Prime Ministers house. We saw much of the city and heard about his way of life. Our agreed upon price was $20.00 we paid him $30.00. Well worth the price. If you are more comfortable with organized tours, go on an organized tour. If you are comfortable on your own, arrange your own. If you are not comfortable with either, stay on the ship and have a massage, or nap, or read a book. So many options. YEA Cruising!

Archived