$48.50 for a 7 day soda card? No thanks.

So when you eat at the buffet or in the MDR if you buy one soda do they do free refills or do they charge you per glass filled? So if I can put down 3 or 4 sodas in a meal would they charge me 2 or 6-8?

I drink a lot of sodas at meals but water the rest of the day and just booked our first cruise on the Voyager and if the answer is free refills while sitting at dinner I'll probably not get the soda card.

So when you eat at the buffet or in the MDR if you buy one soda do they do free refills or do they charge you per glass filled? So if I can put down 3 or 4 sodas in a meal would they charge me 2 or 6-8?

I drink a lot of sodas at meals but water the rest of the day and just booked our first cruise on the Voyager and if the answer is free refills while sitting at dinner I'll probably not get the soda card.

If you have the soda card, you can get as many refills as desired. If you order soda and pay the tip separately, you will get a can of the desired beverage, and certainly they will not refill that!:)

To each their own.

I probably drink 7-8 Diet Coke's a day including 2 at dinner. For me the soda card is one of the best values on the ship.

The first thing I look for when I get on board is the desk selling the cards and giving out the mugs.

I am debating. I don't usually have more than a couple Diet Cokes a day (most often just one), but I might want to have more on a cruise, if I get the card.

For the PP who mentioned that if you prepay for the package, the logo is preprinted on your Seapass - Can you still get an insulated mug when you arrive to the ship by showing your card? I wouldn't use the mug all the time, but I like them (my DD had the package on our last cruise, and I use the mug at home all the time...drinking water from it right now, in fact!).

And I think this might have already been covered, but I love a bourbon and Diet Coke now and then. If I have the soda package, is it cheaper to ask for a shot of bourbon separately, then add it to my "free" Diet Coke? Or is a shot the same price as a bourbon and diet?

Thanks

Sue

wait - is it a travel mug type cup? with a top? insulated? I thought it was just an open plastic cup/tumbler. I was thinking of not getting the card but I was going to buy a travel mug to bring..if this is included, maybe I'll get the mug. Could hot liquids go in it as well?

Yep, hot and cold, it's very well insulated:

100_5025.jpg

100_5026.jpg

Just one warning, though, on our first cruise in 05 they were out of the mugs, so the kids just had to always get sodas in cups from the bars. On Liberty in 08 they had the mugs, I think three different colors/patterns.

The Soda Card was SOOOOO worth it for me on our family Cruise on the Mariner of the Seas for my 2 Sons ages 17 and 12. Yes, you get a very nice insulated RCCL mug with the purchase. The boys didn't use them on the ship, they would just get glasses of soda from the closest bar whenever they wanted and I didn't have to stress out about whether or not they actually drank it. You know kids...

We took the mugs home and I have been using one of them for my daily Coffee. It keeps it nice and hot!

Thank you! That makes it more worth it to me... Now I have 2 more questions -- I have already searched but didn't see answers anywhere:

How do drinks at the buffet work? Does a server bring drinks or are they self serve? (if self serve, how do they check for the pass?)

Also, can you order fountain soda (i.e. seltzer) without the card, or only cans? I keep seeing that you can buy a can for $2.25 or so, but what abotu fountain drinks? I am a big seltzer drinker..

Thanks again!

I had my first cruise on RCCL last week. 7 Days on Mariner. Overall a great experience (well, maybe not the food - but I can write about that some other time). One thing that did surprise me however, was the cost of the soda card. $48.50. That seemed excessive to me, considering the same thing on Princess last March was $25 plus tip.

Im not sure if Princess raised their prices recently, but has RCCL always charged that much? I know multiple people probably use one card but not in my group of two. We ended up just buying what we needed which wasn't much.

And they call the Carn*&% Walmart cruises

if you preorder your soda package ,it is printed on your seapass card , if you wait till your on the ship ,you get the sticker --

Crewchief, if you preorder, can you still get the insulated mug onboard?

From your signature, it looks as if you like the Bermuda 5-day - any quick pointers before we take it in June?

Thanks

Sue

I don't get these "the price is too high" threads. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Every time I shop I see something with a price I am not willing to pay. Is a cruise supposed to be differnet?

Wow...I thought my parents were the only ones that did not buy soda (once in a blue moon) and no sugar cereals, no sugar crap. I didn't know what a twinkie was until I was a senior in high school.

We just drink them in port and bring a 12 pack on board with us.BTW some ports have cokes made with real sugar like it was made way back when

:cj

Just curious...does the real sugar version taste different??

Thanks

I am debating. I don't usually have more than a couple Diet Cokes a day (most often just one), but I might want to have more on a cruise, if I get the card.

For the PP who mentioned that if you prepay for the package, the logo is preprinted on your Seapass - Can you still get an insulated mug when you arrive to the ship by showing your card?

Thanks

Sue

Sorry Forgot to incl. that Info.

Your Thermos(es) [insulated mug(s)] will be placed in your Stateroom inside of a plastic sleeve(s) plus there will be a paper indicating how many people in your Stateroom have pre-ordered the Soda package

Thank you! That makes it more worth it to me... Now I have 2 more questions -- I have already searched but didn't see answers anywhere:

How do drinks at the buffet work? Does a server bring drinks or are they self serve? (if self serve, how do they check for the pass?)

Thanks again!

You can go to the stations where they have the OJ, Apple Juice, Ice Tea. A soda dispenser will be near by Show them your card with the Soda package and they will fill your thermos or a glass with your choice.

OR Flag Down a waiter and Show them your card with the Soda package.

On Liberty, Indy and Freedom they is also an area like a bar in Windjammer where you can also oder sodas Hard Stuff.

I had my SeaPass on holder round my neck

On the Liberty last October, I was the only one in my family that purchased the soda card, DH loves the fruit punch so doesn't drink soda all cruise. We were not trying to cheat RCCL out of any money....

BUT...

When going to Johnny Rockets and having burgers, we would both get sodas. If I put the bill on my seapass with the soda card on it, we would not be charged for any of the sodas on that bill, but if my DH put it on his seapass, they would charge for all but mine....

So hint... if only one of you has the soda package, make sure the Johnny Rockets tab goes on your seapass. They cannot charge soda to that account.

On the Liberty last October, I was the only one in my family that purchased the soda card, DH loves the fruit punch so doesn't drink soda all cruise. We were not trying to cheat RCCL out of any money....

BUT...

When going to Johnny Rockets and having burgers, we would both get sodas. If I put the bill on my seapass with the soda card on it, we would not be charged for any of the sodas on that bill, but if my DH put it on his seapass, they would charge for all but mine....

So hint... if only one of you has the soda package, make sure the Johnny Rockets tab goes on your seapass. They cannot charge soda to that account.

Good to know, thank you. Imagine a thread that started out all negative and has become useful. Will miracles never cease?

Sorry Forgot to incl. that Info.

Your Thermos(es) [insulated mug(s)] will be placed in your Stateroom inside of a plastic sleeve(s) plus there will be a paper indicating how many people in your Stateroom have pre-ordered the Soda package

Thank you! Our kids have had the soda package on our previous cruises, but we did not preorder it. I am thinking of doing that this time. This would be easy and convenient, not having to do it after boarding.

Thank you! Our kids have had the soda package on our previous cruises, but we did not preorder it. I am thinking of doing that this time. This would be easy and convenient, not having to do it after boarding.

The amount shown on Royal's website for the pre-order WILL NOT BE the PER/Day rate IT WILL BE the TOTAL AMOUNT for the Soda Package and it will be billed to your Credit Card; It will NOT BE pat of your

On Board Expense Account.

A can of soda is $1.95 p and after taxes $2.15 on AOS.

It is much cheaper to simply bring onboard your own beverage selection (and as someone mention in most ports of Carib - made with real sugar - not the fructose stuff) and bring back onboard. Just pick up a six pack and bring onboard and restock when you need it.

Just off Explorer. A 12 oz can of soda is $1.95 with automatic 15% tip added = $2.24. (No tax was charged, but I only ordered soda while at sea.)

Jane

The amount shown on Royal's website for the pre-order WILL NOT BE the PER/Day rate IT WILL BE the TOTAL AMOUNT for the Soda Package and it will be billed to your Credit Card; It will NOT BE pat of your

Yep, I understand that, but thanks for clarifying. I plan to do a few things preordered, since we will not have any OBC, so it will minimize our bill at the end. (Unless by some miracle there is a price drop between now and then...which I am not expecting since the price has gone UP since we booked, and several categories are sold out or close to it...;))

I was half Expecting the Soda Package amount to be on my OBC it was a pleasant surprise when it was not

Not wanting to sound cheap (okay we are..) but ice water, ice tea, juices, coffee etc. is FREE at the Windjammer Cafe, all day long and well into the evening. The money we would otherwise spent on soda packages, goes towards our daily Martini in the Schooner Bar.. :D:D

Not wanting to sound cheap (okay we are..) but ice water, ice tea, juices, coffee etc. is FREE at the Windjammer Cafe, all day long and well into the evening. The money we would otherwise spent on soda packages, goes towards our daily Martini in the Schooner Bar.. :D:D

And we're more likely to have a Diet Coke (or three) than a martini! I guess it all works out. ;)

Archived