Cash for tips? How much?

lovetotravel10

I know I'll need to bring along extra cash for when we're in port. However, how much cash should I need for tipping on the ship? Do you leave cash for your room steward if you want to leave him/her extra? What about extra tips for wait-staff, maitre 'd? Do we need cash for tips at the bar - or do they automatically add that on. I want to make sure we bring enough actual cash, so we aren't stuck somewhere and don't have access to an ATM. This is our first cruise, so I'm a tad clueless about this stuff. We're sailing in just a few weeks and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row! Thanks!

I know I'll need to bring along extra cash for when we're in port. However, how much cash should I need for tipping on the ship? Do you leave cash for your room steward if you want to leave him/her extra? What about extra tips for wait-staff, maitre 'd? Do we need cash for tips at the bar - or do they automatically add that on. I want to make sure we bring enough actual cash, so we aren't stuck somewhere and don't have access to an ATM. This is our first cruise, so I'm a tad clueless about this stuff. We're sailing in just a few weeks and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row! Thanks!

Tips are automatically added to your sail in sign; I bring small bills for add'l tips if I feel they are earned...

tips are automatically added to drinks @ bars on board

For in port, It depends on how many ports you are going to. I bring about $75 per port (on average) just for me, but it all depends on if you plan on paying cash for an excursion of some sort locally, and what you plan on doing at that port. I leave extra cash in my safe in my cabin...

When in doubt bring a little more than you may need, and deposit extra back to your bank account when you get home...

or if you have extra cash at the end of the cruise and you want to pay it toward your sail and sign so less gets charged to your card on file, you can do that as well

I do about like Firefly does.

I prepay my gratuities. I take lots of ones, some fives. I leave the cabin steward a coupla bucks and a mini pack of M&Ms every day when I leave the cabin; just something I've always done.

Other extra tips whenever warranted, on ship as well as in ports.

Some people just leave the auto-tip in place and that's it. Personally, we like to take care of the people who take care of us. My attitude is I would tip 20% in a restaurant, so I'm accustomed to tipping for service.

When boarding, I give $5 per bag to the luggage porter at the dock.

I give the room steward $20 on the first day, the head waiter $20 and the assistant waiter $10. Bar staff gets $1 per drink above what they add in. I've never met a maitre'd so I never had a reason to tip one.

During the week, I'll usually give the room steward and dining room staff another $10 each, and on the last night, I'll do that again.

I've always had excellent service. I don't know if that's because of the extra cash tips or because I've been lucky. Either way, I'm happy giving the gratuities.

I'll usually throw $5 in the piano player's tip glass if we sit in there for more than a song or two.

I tried giving 2 bits to the Captain at the past guest's party, but I couldn't find any loose change:D

For tips on the ship you might want to tip the MD. Some people do we do not, unless he has done something for us.

My wife has some serious food allergies and she will usually preorder dinner with the social host or asst MD and we will always tip them nicely.

Few bucks for the piano bar guy if you spend time there.

Give the room service person a dollar or two for deliveries.

If you want to ad to the automatic tips just adjust it on the your sign and sail card.

I do about like Firefly does.

I prepay my gratuities. I take lots of ones, some fives. I leave the cabin steward a coupla bucks and a mini pack of M&Ms every day when I leave the cabin; just something I've always done.

Other extra tips whenever warranted, on ship as well as in ports.

WOW== its Cotton- Havent seen you in forever. Hope everything is good.

Archived