Amtrak to Miami

Twoboyzandadog

No problem, glad to be able to share some of my experiences...

Also, when you board in New York, the conductor on the platform will likely direct you to a specific coach on the train based on your destination. Once you get to your coach, you'll probably be greeted by the coach attendant, who will probably then assign you seats in the coach (I think they do this to save seats that are together for families boarding further down the line). Make sure the attendant knows there are 4 in your party, and that you would like to sit away from the bathrooms; he's the person to talk to.

Hope you have a great trip! Please be sure to post a review for your cruise on CruiseCritic when you get back and mention how the "Trip to the Ship" goes!

By the way, just out of curiosity, is your username derived from the movie "A Boy and His Dog?" I saw that on Netflix a few weeks ago...

LOL, actually, we just based it on our family 2 boys and a dog. Haven't seen that movie. Is it good?

Have done the NY to Florida run (as well as others) quite often. Ditto to all the suggestions...just want to add that as soon as you get on (and I mean before you settle yourself in, train leaves...) try out the outlet by your seats to be sure it is working for your DVD player, which must have headphones (also as said sit 4 across in center - not behind each other), check reading lights, does the footrest work, etc., If not, immediately move & then have someone in your party tell the attendant right away that you changed your seat in that car due to a problem. It is a long ride so be comfortable.

I think the key to traveling by train is you must view it as part of the adventure. If it is strictly a mode of transportation from point A to point B you will get impatient & probably not care for it. Don't count on being on time. Our last trip after this past New Year's from Orlando to NYC was actually 15 min. early...a first in our 27 yrs. of train travel so suffice to say plan on being a couple of hours late. I tell people if they drove a car on a 24-27 hr. trip would you expect to arrive at a given minute. Of course not...so plan on arriving a couple of hours later (night you often lose time to freight trains getting priority)....if you are on time you will be happy.

Food is expensive ($2. for a cup of tea, around same for can of soda, sandwich prob. $6.50 or so in the snack bar). If you want the dining car get reservations early. The car attendant will give out slips but sometimes by the time they get to you all spots gone. Try to go up there earlier & ask when you can reserve. It only has about 8 (maybe 10?? booths) that seat 4 and about 3 different dinner times. The slots go fast. What we do is fill up a small suitcase that has wheels with cookies, nuts, snacks, couple of 2 ltr. bottles of soda, bottle of wine, plastic cups, etc. and put sandwiches, cheese, in ziplock bags with ice in bags in a softsided cooler. We took the afternoon train from Penn & had some nice wine, cheese & crackers around 5:00, then opted for eating our heros for dinner & passing on the dining car (which is not restaurant looking as shown in movies but food generally good - years ago chefs cooked everything fresh on-board - cutbacks now & that is gone). Had our cookies before bed snack & just bought the tea/coffee from snackbar car. Breakfast isn't a bad deal in dining car. The suitcase with snacks was later used for bringing home extra stuff we bought on the cruise & we just stuck the soft-side cooler in there (unless you can hit a store to refill it for trip home...we never have that much time).

OH...one more thing....don't drink the water that is available with the little paper cups at the end of each car nor use the bathroom sink water for brushing your teeth. Bring bottles of water for that. It sits in a holding tank in the train.

Recommend bringing a large Thermos of Bloody Marys.

You're the passenger we now hope to get in our car for train travel! How things changed for us over time....used to hope for families with other little kids....now when we see the strollers coming on board we go.."Yikes!!!"

it's a great trip to do Amtrak even the long distance....I've done long distance Amtrak from Philly that would raise you hair and was fine....with kids....and they say it was some of their best travels....we did the Philly to Orlando (closest to Port Canaveral for the poster who didn't know that station for port) a couple of years ago in a group of 4 adults and 5 children.....we did suggestions already mentioned plus I made unique activity train/curise trip books, kids were never bored nor over stimulated, we packed food/snacks/drinks, just common sense parent stuff too....the kids included an adventure of meeting staff and giving them a thank you departure note....

glad alleghator mentioned that railserve site....better than AAA which I use also....but AAA gives 10% and that cruise/Amtrak code gives 20% off.....works....just got a price today for our fall train to Miami pricing that was 20% off.....have to phone order tickets....not an online code.....so call and get the extra discount:

V334 Norweigian

V423 Carnival

V529 HAL

book by 12/27/2010 travel by the 12/31st 2010

even if you already have your tickets but have not picked the physical ones up you can cancel and rebook for full refund......call to make sure but I've done it more than once.....just make sure the price is the same now as when you bought your tix.....if you have the tix in hand there will be a cancellation fee

for our Philly to Miami fare so far it'll be about $84 each way pp....hard to find airfare for that but would love if that happens too.....for gf traveling with two kids....train fare comes to $64 pp each way average

Thanks for all the helpful hints. However, because of snowmegedon Amtrak has no Silver Service to Miami from NY. We are now driving down and (hopefully) taking Amtrak back. We are driving out Thursday afternoon and hope to make Miami by Friday night. Can't wait to get out of NY!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just got back from a wonderful cruise, but taking Amtrak almost ruined everything. The train was on and train personnel couldn't have been nicer. It was the othe rpassengers who ruined it. We were surrounded by poor mannered children who coughed, sneezed, vomited etc. the entire trip. Maybe if we had sleepers it would have been better.

Well, just got back from a wonderful cruise, but taking Amtrak almost ruined everything. The train was on and train personnel couldn't have been nicer. It was the othe rpassengers who ruined it. We were surrounded by poor mannered children who coughed, sneezed, vomited etc. the entire trip. Maybe if we had sleepers it would have been better.

Definitely NOT what I was hoping to hear!

Maybe we are just not train people. But right now I feel like I have a cold and I think it was from those sick kids.

The good news is that your cruise will be awesome. I posted a pretty comprehensive review on the roll calls for the glory. Our week was 2/14. My kids are so depressed. That could also have added to our misery on the train. We had such a good time on the cruise that a Lear Jet would have sucked.

Good luck. Let me know how you like it - cruise and train.

I just went back and checked you OP. You are doing the right thing by taking Amtrak down and flying back. We drove down and hit a blizzard in SC! Scariest drive in my life. But we didn't care we were going on a cruise! No matter what happens, you will have the cruise to look forward to, so it will be fun and exciting.

Try riding 8 hrs. with a older man talking very loud and phones ringing and children running up and down the aisle. Sleep was impossible. Passengers need to be curtious of others. If it is nighttime or early morning hours,please turn your phone off or to vibrate,control children and speak in low tones. The ride will be more comfortable for everyone.

I just went back and checked you OP. You are doing the right thing by taking Amtrak down and flying back. We drove down and hit a blizzard in SC! Scariest drive in my life. But we didn't care we were going on a cruise! No matter what happens, you will have the cruise to look forward to, so it will be fun and exciting.

I just didn't think we would have the patience to fly back after the trip ;)

Archived