Buying under age child alcohol

lcmc

Please no negative responses... haha not on this board... there is always one or two who HAVE to be nasty/negative etc...

So, with that being said... I have purchased/signed for drinks when my daughter was 17-18 and 19 yrs old and never had a problem. But, I will also say, that she was always with me when she was had the drink, never wandering around the ship on her own. And, NO, whether it is allowed or not, we have never allowed/ordered her a drink anywheres else but on a cruise....

I too have been told that I better be careful, they're going to throw us off the ship, are you trying to teach your daughter that breaking the rules is ok, are you trying to turn her into an alcoholic etc but only you know your child and I know that my daughter is not going to break the rules because I allowed her 2 or 3 drinks on a cruise over a weeks period, I know she knows right from wrong about breaking the rules etc and I truly believe that my daughter is not going to turn into an alcoholic!!!

Enjoy, have a good time, and ignore those that can't just answer your question directly..

I believe the laws of the drinking ages should be lowered.. I believe that we as parents should teach our children to drink responsibly just like we teach them to drive responsibly and be a respectable person. I believe all the problems out there with under age drinking stems from being FORBIDDEN to drink. College parties, binge drinking... grad parties... if we taught our kids and didn't make it forbidden until they were 21.. think about it.. think about what could change... In my honest Opinion.. And this means by NO means I am wanting my kids to be alcoholics. In Europe the age is MUCH lower.......

If you don't want opinions- don't post on a web board...:rolleyes:

Even if an 18 year old is allowed to drink in Ohio with parental consent, you still can't buy him or her a drink at a restaurant, can still be charged with public intoxication, drunk & disorderly conduct ect...

And, Carnival rules state the drinking age is 21 & up....On RCCL it used to be 18 & up with parent's signature, but that was for beer & wine only...

I DO know what I am talking about- I live in Cincinnati and I am 25- hasn't been that long since it was an issue I had an interest in. The person who is DRINKING the beverage is the one carded. Buy a drink for your son in a bar and see how quickly it becomes a problem. Of course, that's if you are caught. And, if you buy two drinks, they are going to card two people...

My fiance and i went out a couple months ago and the server thought he was using a fake ID (he looks nothing like his 5 year old photo- no facial hair, no glasses and 75 lbs lighter) and not only would they not serve him, they refused to serve me because they didn't want me to supply to him. And he's 26!

I even went on carnival's website (just like you could have done yourself) and answered your question- not my fault if you don't like the answer. :rolleyes:

http://www.clermontsheriff.org/UnderAgeAlcoholFAQ.aspx

Answer from Clermont County Sheriff's department-

If I am out at a restaurant with my son/daughter who is under 21 years old, can I legally order alcohol for them to drink?

ANSWER: Legally, yes if you are physically present with them when they are drinking, BUT most restaurants will not allow underage patrons to have/drink alcohol on their premises as a matter of policy.

My whole point was the establishment...but you are right- the law says you can, but of course, the establishment has the right to refuse service to whoever they want...and, most places will b/c they care less about your 18 y/o son's right to drink than they do about keeping their liquor license. And, they aren't going to trust you to just "say" you're his parent...his spouse ect. Sorry I didn't spell it out better...

Honestly, I could care less about you providing your son with alcohol- how it reflects on you as a parent is your problem. And, how delinquent he becomes with it is his- after all he is 18 now.

Maybe Carnival (the establishment in question) will be lax, but what their policy states doesn't include anything about parents supplying to their minor children...

So even after what you posted as fact was wrong, instead of leaving it there you go to the bad parent card? Too funny. :D

I believe the laws of the drinking ages should be lowered.. I believe that we as parents should teach our children to drink responsibly just like we teach them to drive responsibly and be a respectable person. I believe all the problems out there with under age drinking stems from being FORBIDDEN to drink. College parties, binge drinking... grad parties... if we taught our kids and didn't make it forbidden until they were 21.. think about it.. think about what could change... In my honest Opinion.. And this means by NO means I am wanting my kids to be alcoholics. In Europe the age is MUCH lower.......

Canada too. Actually pretty much the rest of the world. :p

In Germany the drinking age is 14. When I lived in Germany as a kid - even under 14 we sometimes had a small amount of wine with dinner. Most european countries are similar to the german age.

One could also say our policies are draconian and overly conservative. Sure if our drinking age changed today there would be a rash of teen drunkeness, but if they grow up consuming then one could say it won't happen that much.

When I was a kid (I grew up in the US), my dad enjoyed a glass of wine with the home cooked dinner my mom made for us every night.

On a special occasion, my sister and I were allowed to have a small amount too. On New Years, my family and I celebrated together at home. My mom would make a nice spread of eats and my sister and I again were allowed to have a small amount of champagne at midnight.

We did not turn out to be delinquent.

I think that when parents don't treat alcohol as taboo, but rather enjoy it responsibly, they may very well be setting an important example for children.

That's how it was for me.

I am not advocating lowering the drinking age.

When I was a kid (I grew up in the US), my dad enjoyed a glass of wine with the home cooked dinner my mom made for us every night.

On a special occasion, my sister and I were allowed to have a small amount too. On New Years, my family and I celebrated together at home. My mom would make a nice spread of eats and my sister and I again were allowed to have a small amount of champagne at midnight.

I think that when parents don't treat alcohol as taboo, but rather enjoy it responsibly, they may very well be setting an important example for children.

Stop making sense. :D

I was born and raised in Ohio ... that's why I expressed surprise when people kept posting you could drink with a adult legally. I went to BGSU for BS and MBA and we used to drive to Michigan to get beer and wine. At the time Michigan would sell them if you were over 18. Im betting no more.

There is a difference in what Carnival allows (which Im sure the OP knew) and what people can get by with. Perhaps the OP should just have asked can I do this without getting put off in a port, lol.

It is against the rules, just because your from Ohio doesn't mean the law follows you. I can legally carry a gun, but that doesn't mean I get to on the ship because I do at home. If you plan on not following the rules then plan on paying for it if your caught, is it really worth a beer......

Didn't catch where you are going but alot of the Islands are 18 to drink. My youngest turned 18 just 3 days before we left, here he is having his first 'legal' beer with his Mom, at the swim up bar in Margaritaville, Grand Turk. Generally speaking we don't drink, I haven't had one since before he was born, my wife has a drink occasionally (maybe once a year). He had the one and that was it......didn't ask for another.

jacob18.jpg

Is this law like CA and its marijuana selling. Its legal in CA, but its still against federal laws, so the federal part of the law can still come in and shut you down and arrest you in CA for selling it, even though CA laws say you can sell it and grow it for medical purposes.

I'm just curious. I so have to look up VA's rules. Man if I would have known that at 18.........I'd probably still have to have my brother by my alcohol in college.

Okay, I'm attributing to getting this post off topic and I'm sorry. Here is my experience.

I went on a cruise when I was 17 with friends who were 18 and a friend's parent. Technically I couldn't drink even on the islands that allowed it b/c I was 17, but there are always those willing to bend the rules. When I went to RC's private island I asked a waiter on the beach for a virgin Bahama Mama and he made it perfectly clear (offering 3x's) that he was willing to put alcohol in it even though he KNEW I was under age. Even my friend's parent (when I told her what happened) asked me why I didn't just accept it. I told her that it wasn't right and that my parents would expect me to follow the rules especially in a place I'm not familiar with. See 17 year olds can have good sense, when they are raised with sensible parents.

My parents knew about my brother buying me alcohol (my brother is 7 years older than me) and he even did it in front of them one night when he bought me and my sorority friends a case of beer. But my parents trusted that I would be smart about my drinking. That I would not over indulge enough to get myself in trouble, in a car wreck, kidnapped or raped. They depended on the fact that they raised me in a way that I would be smart about my choices and that if I did make a mistake that I was old enough to deal with the repercussions. I never had to do that thankfully.

The ships follow most land policies in the US about drinking, but as you can see from my story above, so employees don't. I think you just have to make the decision for yourself. Just watch out for the Holy than thou's who think its their business to tattle tell instead of enjoying their vacation.

You probably won't have any problem doing this if you both act discreetly and civil. It's not like employees are walking around trying to find reasons to throw passengers off the ship. However, if your son causes a scene or incident, be prepared for them to look much more closely at what is going on.

There is no law against minor drinking on a cruise ship at sea. The cruise lines set rules governing consumption of alcohol, rules passengers agree to when they book passage.

Other than the United States I know of no nation that allows alcohol sales that has a drinking age as high as 21. The entire Caribbean basin has an 18 drinking age. Even the USA insular territories, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands have an 18 drinking age.

that is how it goes here as well...and everyone is turning out great. It is a pity though when parents supply drinks at 16yo parties...so that their kids are considered the popular ones.

Can I buy beer for my 18 years old son on the ship? I know here in Ohio it is legal for parent, guardian or spouce of legal age to by it for them. Please no negative responses about this being wrong. Please keep opinions to yourself.

On the off chance that they notice you doing so, and the off chance that they actually pursue it, they CAN put you off the ship with no compensation. the drinking age aboard ship is clearly stated as 21. ken

IF your ADULT 18yo is reasonable, does not get drunk and does not "flaunt" it you should have no problem buying him a drink... you should be the same and not buy 2 beers for yourself. Buy one at one bar and another somewhere else... BTW you can legally buy a bottle of liquor for your room from Bon Voyage and it will be in your cabin. Just a comment...

As for the whole 18 thing... it was completely legal when I was that age and if you are an ADULT with the right to die for your country, be charged as an ADULT, then you should be a full fledged ADULT...

Can we cut the Morality Police and Public Policy Police acts?

OP -- As per Carnival's rules, you cannot buy your 18 year old booze. Not to saying it doesn't happen or you can't get away with it, you should or you shouldn't. Just stating Carnival's rules that you can't.

NCL allows you to sign a waiver so your 18 year old can buy beer or wine.

There, now you are informed and free of opinion.

I was born and raised in Ohio ... that's why I expressed surprise when people kept posting you could drink with a adult legally. I went to BGSU for BS and MBA and we used to drive to Michigan to get beer and wine. At the time Michigan would sell them if you were over 18. Im betting no more.

There is a difference in what Carnival allows (which Im sure the OP knew) and what people can get by with. Perhaps the OP should just have asked can I do this without getting put off in a port, lol.

There are several states which have the parental presence exception. Texas is one of them. You can ONLY serve your own child, no one else's.

The restaurants and bars still have the right to refuse service regardless of the exception.

So even after what you posted as fact was wrong, instead of leaving it there you go to the bad parent card? Too funny. :D

LMAO..... Just what I was thinking!

Not here to argue and wont. Not here to justify and wont. BUT Im sure Carnivals rules are in place for a reason. Be it to be consistent through out the cruise and comply with laws in the home port. OR born out of experience of folks under 21 causing problems when drinking. We all know what ever the threshold is..... it will be breeched by some.

I have personally bought drinks for my under 21 children while on a ship and under my supervision. Like during the shows in the theater and on the lido. They are both over 21 now and neither has become an alcoholic. One is out of college, married, and doing well. The younger is in her final year of college and will be a school teacher soon!

Archived