Alaska on Star-questions

sailsalot

Hi!

I'm thinking of taking an Alaskan Glacier Bay cruise with a group in July on the Star, and have a few questions. Some seem stupid, but bear with me!

1. I've never sailed with NCL before, and I can't figure out the freestyle cruising concept. What's a simple explanation of it? How do they figure out where people are going to eat and avoid waits? Do you have to make a reservation wherever you choose to eat each night?

2. Are there alot of flies in Alaska in the summer, or is that just a big rumor?

3. What are examples of excursions at the ports?

Any other info for a NCL newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

A simple explanation of Freestyle:

1. Eat when you want, where you want and with who you want.

2. Dress is resort casual in the dining rooms.

3. There is a formal night that is optional, resort casual this night is still acceptable.

4. Tipping is charged to your account $10 pp, per day. If you want to tip more you can. This avoids the last night run around with envelopes.

5. You can make a standing reservation if you prefer.

6. We love it.

You will hear of some people that have experienced waits. We have not had that problem, we were a group of six. The first time on the Star we had a standing reservation. The second time, we just went when we felt like it and never had a problem, although others have experienced otherwise. Let me know if I can help further.

We went last summer on the Sun to Alaska. IMO, freestyle dining works GREAT for Alaska. If you are in the middle of beautiful scenery, and don't want to leave your view, you don't have to, in order to make your traditional assigned seating time.

Our family of 4 never had a wait. You can make reservations at the specialty restaurants, or just go to the dining room of your choice. We tended to go fairly early, in order to make the 1st show each night, and did notice small crowds waiting by 6:30 or 7:00.

We do have friends who prefer the more traditional dining experience of the other lines, but they just make a standing reservation and get the same table and waiter nightly, but they have normally had to schedule it for 5:30 when the dining room opens if they want that option.

According to my daily newspaper, most of the non-reservation restaurants on the Sun opened at 5:30. Some of the reservation ones were 5:30, while others were 6:00. The closing hours varied, with some of them saying "close", some at midnight, and one each at 10:00 and 11:00.

If you're interested, I can email you a scanned copy of the freestyle daily from the Sun. In my limited experience, it doesn't vary greatly from ship to ship, and would give you a basic idea of the activities as well as the restaurant hours.

We sailed the Star last year and loved the ship. Unless you are in a suite, you can only make reservations for all (fee or no fee) restaurants for that day or the next. The regular dining rooms AquA and Versallis you do not need reservations.

There are so many different kinds of excursions in Aalska. Just about anything you like to do you can including snorkeling! If you look on NCL's website, they will probably have some listed. As it gets closer to sailing, you may prereserve them on this site. Also, if you go to cruise critics port of call forum and click on Alaska you can learn a lot and ask questions. There are excursions you can do with other companies besisdes the ship's excursion. These private companies are very careful baout getting you back to the ship on time. Hope you first trip tpo Alaska is wonderful. It is beautiful. You will enjoy it. Bon Yoyage!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. You're really selling me on this cruise! :)

Ute-fan, I'd love to see a daily activity sheet. You can email me at xrayjon@yahoo.com. Thanks!!

Doesn't anyone want to answer my question about flies in Alaska in the summer? I know it sounds silly, but I'm trying to persuade a friend to go with me, and she's convinced there are swarms of flies up there during the summer. Help--I need the truth!! :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. You're really selling me on this cruise! :)

Ute-fan, I'd love to see a daily activity sheet. You can email me at xrayjon@yahoo.com. Thanks!!

Doesn't anyone want to answer my question about flies in Alaska in the summer? I know it sounds silly, but I'm trying to persuade a friend to go with me, and she's convinced there are swarms of flies up there during the summer. Help--I need the truth!! :)

We've cruised to Alaska twice - September 2003 and July 2004 - we never saw even one fly - even when we ate outside at a salmon barbecue in Juneau, there were no bothersome insects. I'd tell your friend not to worry!

Wow! I see you booked a cruise BEFORE the one we'll both be on cruising to Alaska! Lucky you! Where will you be going?

By the way, we might take Amtrak to Seattle (over 24 hours in coach(. Can't afford a sleeper! :( Or we might fly to there and take the train home. That sounds like it will be the most feasible.

A simple explanation of Freestyle:

1. Eat when you want, where you want and with who you want.

2. Dress is resort casual in the dining rooms.

3. There is a formal night that is optional, resort casual this night is still acceptable.

4. Tipping is charged to your account $10 pp, per day. If you want to tip more you can. This avoids the last night run around with envelopes.

5. You can make a standing reservation if you prefer.

6. We love it.

You will hear of some people that have experienced waits. We have not had that problem, we were a group of six. The first time on the Star we had a standing reservation. The second time, we just went when we felt like it and never had a problem, although others have experienced otherwise. Let me know if I can help further.

We will be on the Star for the July 17th Glacier Bay cruise. We just got off the Star this past Sunday from a Mexico Riviera cruise. It was GREAT and this ship is wonderful! I am really looking forward to our Alaska cruise now that I have been on this ship! Marilyn

We will be on the Star for the July 17th Glacier Bay cruise. We just got off the Star this past Sunday from a Mexico Riviera cruise. It was GREAT and this ship is wonderful! I am really looking forward to our Alaska cruise now that I have been on this ship! Marilyn

Would love to see any pictures you have of the Star. Have you written a review yet? So glad to hear you had a great time and are returning on the Star - you'll love Alaska!

Wow! I see you booked a cruise BEFORE the one we'll both be on cruising to Alaska! Lucky you! Where will you be going?

By the way, we might take Amtrak to Seattle (over 24 hours in coach(. Can't afford a sleeper! :( Or we might fly to there and take the train home. That sounds like it will be the most feasible.

Hi Sailaway Sailaway, Good to hear from you again. Yes, we did book another trip before Alaska. We got a great price for the Spirit sailing out of Miami so we decided to go ahead. Oh, my dream...two cruises in a year!

Check out the discounted fare for Amtrak when combined with an NCL Cruise. If I remember correctly it is a 15% discount. Or, if you are AAA members, you can receive a discount that way too. Sometimes when we called Amtrak, the person did not know about the NCL discount so push on or hang up and call back later to get someone else. Sometimes Amtrak, about this time of year will offer buy one, get one free (BOGO Sale). Do I remember correctly that you are traveling with another party?

Good Luck.

I have found so many tours, there are so many to see. The problem is they are so expensive and we can't afford much. Here are some ideas of excursions I have researched that are on the cheaper side, but you see the most. The one trip I don't have is whale watching which is what I want to do the most, but we will be on a ship for a week in the ocean won't we see a lot anyway?

Juneau -

Great link for large range of stuff to do in Juneau.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/planner/attractions/index.cfm

Option 1 - (My final choice so far.)

Last Frontiers Tour - 2 1/2 - $30 pp http://www.lastfrontiertours.com/

This goes to the Mendenhall Glacier and more.

Option 2 - You can take a bus ride to the Glacier and tour it on your own for $5 each way, pp.

Skagway -

Great link for large range of stuff to do in Skagway. http://www.skagway.com/activities.html

Option 1 - (My final choice so far.)

Skaguay Tour Company - 2 1/2 hour tour - $35 pp

http://www.skagwaytourco.com/alaska_summit_tour.htm

White Pass Summit and Historical City of Skagway Combined Tour

They also offer a shorter 1 1/2 tour to White Pass only for $25.

Option 2 -Klondike Tour - White Pass Tour - 2 1/2 hrs. $38.85

http://www.klondiketours.com/web_site_klondike_tours_002.htm

Ketchikan -

Great link for a large range of stuff to do in Ketchikan.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/member_services/tours/sightseeing_tours.html

Option 1 - (My final choice so far.) Northern Tours of Alaska - 2 1/2 hrs - $30

http://www.northerntoursofalaska.com/

Totem Bight State Park, Rainforest, City Park, Russian Museum

Option 2 - Amphibious Duck Tours - 1 1/2 hrs - $35

http://www.alaskaamphibioustours.com/home/

This takes you from a land bus city tour, straight into the water, you have to check out the video of this on their website, it's pretty funny.

Option 3 - Sourdough Tours - 2 hrs - $32

http://www.aksourdoughtours.com/tourdescription.htm

Ketchikan City Highlights, Totem Bight State Park/Rain Forest, Russian Museum

Salmon Ladder, Dolly's House/Creek Street, Eagles and Salmon (in season)

Victoria -

Great link for a large range of stuff to do in Victoria.

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/Content/EN/415.asp

I have not decided what we are going to do here yet, we think maybe a carriage ride through town and the historical district. We won't be in Victoria very long and only at night, I also here we could and probably will be late. That day we are there will also be our 1 yr wedding anniversary so we want to plan something special. Here's a link to the carriage tour website, it's pretty expensive though. $40 for 15 mins, $80 for 30 mins., I think that it's Canadian money though so it's $66 for 30 mins and that's for 4 - 6 people I think.

http://www.victoriacarriage.com/

In case while you are searching Victoria site and find they list every thing in Canadian prices, here is a conversion calculator website.

http://www.fieba.net/converter

I couldn't find any info through NCL so I went to www.Cheaptickets.com you can go there, find your specific cruise, when you get the part where they show you itinerary, you can click on the city you want to get info on, another box will pop up with lots of info from stats on the city to the weather, if you click on the tab that says facts and scroll down, if gives you a ton of websites for the city, chamber of commerce, dining and tours. You can do that for every city on your cruise.

Well, that's all I got, sorry it's so long, but I hope it's useful information for you.

Archived