Cruising in March

Cre

My cruise is on March 19th , 2010. Do you think there will be issues with my flight being delayed due to weather? I booked during this week because my daughter is on spring break that week. I have insurance.

Just wanted to know your thoughts.

My cruise is on March 19th , 2010. Do you think there will be issues with my flight being delayed due to weather? I booked during this week because my daughter is on spring break that week. I have insurance.

Just wanted to know your thoughts.

Weather delays can happen on any given travel date....depends where the aircraft is coming from before it gets to you, or what the weather is like at your possible connecting airport or final destination.

Good you have insurance, just make sure it covers everything regarding your travel.

My crystal ball says: DELAYS ARE POSSIBLE ON ANY DAY YOU FLY !

It's not always weather that causes delays....we, too, like to get to the departure port a day ahead....that way, if some of our luggage decides to go somewhere without us, we have time to get it back! That's my major concern! I'd freak if I didn't have my stuff for the whole cruise!

I am trying hard not to be sharp here. We don't even know where you are- you in Florida? Probably not. Minnesota? good possibility. I would think that the probability of major disruption on any single day anyplace you could be is probably low. This probability increases if you are someplace where March snow is common, but still not really high. Go to a weather website and look up the history of weather where ever you are. You will see what usually happens over many years. Then cross your fingers, do a snow-go-away dance, sprinkle cruise dust around, and fly in the day before.

We encountered delays leaving Orlando in Dec (going to Lake Tahoe) because our plane was coming in from Chicago and it was an hour late due to weather in Ill. As a result we missed our connection in Denver and had to stay there overnight.

Coming back we were delayed 2 1/2hours leaving Reno because fog had reduced San Fransisco Airport to one runway; we barely made our flight back to Orlando.

When we missed the flight in Denver we both said how lucky it was we were not going on a cruise as the earliest they could book us out was the next evening. :eek:

Arriving a day earlier is well worth it.

Kathy:)

As others have recommended it is best to fly in a day early - this greatly reduces the chance of a delayed or canceled flight causing one to miss the ship. If you must fly in the day of the cruise, try to get the first available flight that morning that is a non-stop flight. Having to make a connection greatly increases the chances of encountering a delay and an early morning flight affords you more wiggle room. Most cruise lines leaving from U.S. ports require you to be onboard the ship 90 minutes prior to sailing due to Homeland Security rules, so keep that in mind.

It is good you have travel insurance, but did you closely look at what your policy covers in the event of flight delays causing you to miss the ship? Most policies will have a minimum amount of time you are delayed (often which is at least four hours on many policies) before they will pay you anything. So if your flight is delayed 3 & 1/2 hours and you miss the ship, many policies would not cover this. Be sure to research your policy.

There are delays all the time - and it doesn't necessarily matter where you are flying from or your destination. It may be clear and no issues at your home airport, but what about where your plane is coming from before you board? I would absolutely fly in a day early - at the very least! We are also sailing spring break (different week) and are going 2 nights early.

It's not always weather that causes delays....we, too, like to get to the departure port a day ahead....that way, if some of our luggage decides to go somewhere without us, we have time to get it back! That's my major concern! I'd freak if I didn't have my stuff for the whole cruise!
Our daughter's flight from New Orleans was delayed once because there was an alligator on the runway... you never know what can happen. If flying, I would try to get there a day early too.

Archived