Livorno to Pisa transfer question

jimlssi

Will be in Livorno 12 Nov on Prinsendam. Would like to do JUST Pisa (no Lucca, been there,done that) independently. Trains from Livorno to Pisa look convenient and timely. Questions: Is it easy to get a taxi from Livorno port to central train station; from Pisa train station to Pisa center city; and most importantly, the reverse route for this trip? I understand the taxis are metered, so no arguments over fares - correct? Thanks.

In March of 2009 there were lots of cabs at the ship to take you to the train station. We took the train past Pisa to Florence so can't help with your questions about Pisa specifically. Returning to the station from Florence, we caught a cab to the ship. We had a New York couple with us who grabbed the first cab outside the station. A battle ensued! Apparently, there is a captain who dispatches the cabs in order. Voice levels escalated and there was a lot of arm waving between two taxi drivers and the captain. I finally commented in a normal tone that I didn't care who took us but that we had a ship to catch PRONTO! I was told "madam,please be quiet":p:p:rolleyes:. But we finally did jump into the cab and were delivered to the ship on time. The advice we were given about taking trains was - whatever train you think you need to catch to be on time, take the one that leaves just before it! Good advice that worked for us. Have fun.

In May 2008, we were on the NOORDAM and stopped for the day at Livorno. At the pier, we could have taken a taxi directly to the Livorno train station; but we chose to go on the shuttle bus from the pier to the main square downtown. Once there, we walked past a tobacco shop and, inside, we bought both bus tickets for the city bus and one-day return train tickets Livorno/Pisa. The shop owner spoke English easily.

From the main square, we took a city bus to the train station and then a local train to Pisa. It is a short train ride, less than 30 minutes.

We had travelled in Italy at other times, including train travel, and we are comfortable reading the train schedule board at the station. Don't forget to date/time punch your ticket(s) at the yellow stamping machine on the concourse.

Previously, at home, I had done some homework on the internet and found local bus and train maps & schedules for Livorno and Pisa, which helped when doing the actual trip.

At Pisa, we intended to take a taxi from the train station to the Leaning Tower; however, it was raining heavily and taxis were in high demand. A local lady who could sense that we weren't local offered to let us share her taxi most of the way to the Tower. This helped and, by the time we got to the Tower, the rain had stopped.

For the return, another tobacco shop near the tower for bus tickets and we got confirmation of which bus to take and from where. We returned to the train station, got a train back to Livorno, bus to the square, shuttle to the ship and.... we had accompished our adventure to Pisa with a minimum of fuss.

If you enjoy walking and have enough time, take the scenic route through Pisa on foot. On a recent two-day stop there, we did this twice, including once in the rain.

You'll cross the Arno at one of two or three bridges, and enjoy the view there, then it's another 20 minutes or so to the Tower. Lots of great Italian atmosphere along the way, including a university famous for its science and engineering ("the MIT of Italy"). You can go a great walking tour including the river, the cathedral and tower, and a stop for lunch in four to six hours from and back to the train station. The six-hour version allows you to do a little shopping here and there too. Pisa is more than just the Tower!

Will be in Livorno 12 Nov on Prinsendam. Would like to do JUST Pisa (no Lucca, been there,done that) independently. Trains from Livorno to Pisa look convenient and timely. Questions: Is it easy to get a taxi from Livorno port to central train station; from Pisa train station to Pisa center city; and most importantly, the reverse route for this trip? I understand the taxis are metered, so no arguments over fares - correct? Thanks.

Rather than taking the train or shuttle, I suggest you hire a taxi. When the ship arrives in Livorno, there will be taxi's line up just outside the dock area. They are all for hire private tours. All very organized with ring binders of photos and tour prices. I did this a couple years ago and was absolutely thrilled. The driver took us to Pisa and because it's a taxi it could be driven directly into the walled area of Pisa. We were dropped off right infront of the stone rope barricard to the Leaning Tower. The train and tour bus parking are all a lengthy walk to the major sites. After leaving Pisa he drove us throughout the tuscan country side and stopped in other little towns of intereset along the way . We tailor the tour to want we wanted to see . The driver was very accomodating to ou wanting to stop suddenly and tour an area. Before returning to the ship we toured Livorno . One of the best tour days I ever had.

Good morning, another option...last time in Livorno on the AZ Journey, a local rep was on board that morning and told us about a bus tour that goes from the town square to Pisa. It was easily walkable to get to the area where the bus left from without the hassle of getting to the train station (which we've also done, but as with you we'd already done Florence, Lucca, etc). This bus dropped us just outside of the Pisa attractions and we had been given a couple departure times for return to the ship. I'm sorry I don't have the name of the bus company, but googling Livorno might get you the information.

Archived