Thoughts on 2 Different S. Caribbean Itineraries

hazeleyez3

My husband and I are looking at taking a S. Caribbean cruise Thanksgiving week this year, and I was wondering what some people thought about the different itineraries and ports, why one would be preferred over the other, etc.

As a little background...

We are 32 and 34 with no children and have pretty much exhausted the W. Caribbean, and also done the standard Eastern route. We like the sun, but aren't really into laying on the beach. We do enjoy learning about other cultures, and just strolling towns -- enjoying the sights on our own.

The two that we are looking at are..

Miracle: Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, and Aruba

Freedom: Cozumel, Costa Rica, and Colon

Both leave from Ft Lauderdale, and are 8 days. The cost of the cruise isn't much different, and since they both leave from the same port airfare will be the same. Cozumel is the only port we have been to.

I know the Miracle just hit St. Kitts but by Thanskgiving there will be no worries about it.

Any info would be great.:)

I did the Freedom cruise last year, while the ports were interesting I did not find them to be nearly as nice to walk around in as others that we have been too. There were lots of things to learn about the culture, but the actual ports themselves were not as interesting to us. We choose this cruise, for the number of relaxing sea days, and to see the panama canal (since we could not take the time for a repositioning).

We went to Curacao and Aruba on a RCL cruise and just loved the ports. Aruba was more of a beach stop for us (we have kids) and in Curacao, we went to the Hato caves, saw flamingos in the salt flats, went to the Curacao Liquor factory and hung out in the town. It is a beautiful city! It also has a unique floating bridge. So I would definately recommend this itinerary.

Having said that we are going on the Freedom next month to see Costa Rica and Panama.

So how about both!

I'll give the other side opinion.

We LOVE Costa Rica and we really liked the indian village in Panama.

We did this Itinerary twice with Celebrity because we so liked it. But on Celebrity they had Aruba in there too, which we also adored.

Limon, Costa Rica is beautiful and Okey dokey tours is just a tremendous excursion to showcase the high points of the country. Panama was really dirty and I had no desire to hang out in the towns, but where we ported the indian tribe had a HUGE market of arts and crafts, just some beautiful things that you would pay a mint for here in USA, very cheap there, also they stay in their native dress and do some native music and dance thats very cool. There is also a tour to visit the Indian Village which I didn't do but had friend that did and they said it was awesome.

Cozumel is always a nice beach day.

I guess the biggest question you have to ask yourself is what you are cruising for?

If it's beach days I'd go with the other itinerary hands down. If it's to explore different areas which don't necessarily need to be on beaches then I think you should look at the CR,Panama one, you may be as taken as I was.

Either way you got 8 days on a great ship so it's a win win.

If you do get to Aruba and you have a little time to explore downtown there is a restaurant there called the old fisherman, it has outstanding food and if you drink a beer now and then Balashi beer is OUTSTANDING!!!

Have a great time whatever you choose!!

Carole

I would select the Miracle because there are a few select trips that Carnival will be going to Aruba and Curacao. This is there first year back. Colan, Cozumel and Costa Rica will be there all the time and are normal stops for the Western Caribbean.

BTW, I have selected the Miracle cruise for 3/11/2011.

My husband and I are looking at taking a S. Caribbean cruise Thanksgiving week this year, and I was wondering what some people thought about the different itineraries and ports, why one would be preferred over the other, etc.

Miracle: Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, and Aruba

Freedom: Cozumel, Costa Rica, and Colon

Both leave from Ft Lauderdale, and are 8 days. The cost of the cruise isn't much different, and since they both leave from the same port airfare will be the same. Cozumel is the only port we have been to.

Any info would be great.:)

The Miracle is a smaller ship (although you'd be hard pressed to see that from looking at it) It carries something like 2150 passengers while the Freedom will carries almost 3000 passengers. I think the Miracle may seem a bit less crowded, if that matters to you.

We did Aruba on RC and it was great, but if you aren't that much into beaches, etc. we did the other itineary on Carnival Liberty. My DH wanted to do it so bad, and I was just ok with it. Well, it turned out to be my best cruise ever. Even doing the canal on the ferry excursion was awesome.

We had the best tour & guide in Costa Rica. Loved that place!!

You won't go wrong with either. Haven't been on the Miracle but that ship gets good reviews. Have been on the Freedom and she is a great ship too!!

We booked the Miracle for Feb 2011 because of the wonderful Southern Carribbean ports departing from Ft. Lauderdale. Both Aruba and Curacao are Dutch and brimming with history. We are not beach people either, and choose to sight see wherever we stop. We have been on the Costa Rica and Panama itinerary. It was nice, but had they offered the Miracle's itin back then, we would have jumped on it first....more exotic, less 3rd world.

We, my family and I and our friends, are going on the Miracle!!!! :D

Come on board and join us!!!!;)

There is a thread about the Thanksgiving Miracle! This itinerary is so different!!!!! If you guys love the beach this the one to take!!!!!

Miracle 3 sea days and Freedom 4 sea days that can make your decison just on that! I rather have a port day than and extra sea day!!!!!

Archived