Major snow storm and the Pride!

Ave43

I contacted them to see what the policy would be for the returning passengers- here is their response to me (which, BTW they were very quick to respond. I emailed them at 12:21 and they emailed me back at 12:51...)

Hi Diana,

Thank you for your inquiry. The parking lots and driveways will most certainly be plowed. As for cars of returning passengers, there will be stevedores on hand to assist. However, they will help for slight compensation (tips). In December during the last storm, many people cleaned off their cars without problems.

Please contact me with any further questions.

Thanks!

Bobbie Bardzik

Marketing Associate - Cruise Maryland

Maryland Port Administration

401 E. Pratt Street

19th Floor

Baltimore, MD 21202

Cruise Maryland from the Port of Baltimore

Gateway to Your Getaway!

Ok- help a newbie out here- what is a stevedore? LOL!!!:o

Take care and be safe!,

Diana S.

What happened to global warming?

It is being re-spun as "Climate Change" but that isn't working too well because the Earth has undergone climate change since it's been here... Ice Age comes to mind first...

All I can say is thank God for El Nino!!! The lakes are filling back up in Central Texas, the land of constant drought interrupted by the intermittent flood. :o

Blizzard warnings just went up for Anne Arundel Co. That's just south of the port.

On topic - Friends came back from their Celebrity cruise to the big December snow. There were people to help clear cars in exchange for a nice tip at the port parking lot.

Issued by The National Weather Service

Baltimore/Washington, MD

12:34 pm EST, Fri., Feb. 5, 2010

... RECORD SNOWFALL FORECAST IN THE BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON DC REGION...

... EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS DEVELOPING TONIGHT...

GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH VISIBILITIES FREQUENTLY FALLING BELOW ONE-QUARTER MILE DUE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL DEVELOP TONIGHT TO PRODUCE NEAR-BLIZZARD AND EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING. TRAVEL IS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED TONIGHT AND WILL BE VERY DANGEROUS.

LOOKING BACK AT THE BIGGEST STORM OF RECORD FOR WASHINGTON DC... THE JANUARY 1922 KNICKERBOCKER STORM... 28.0 INCHES OF SNOW WAS PRODUCED FROM 3.02 INCHES OF LIQUID WATER. CURRENT FORECASTS FOR THIS EVENT HAVE TOTAL LIQUID FALLING FROM THIS STORM APPROACHING 3 INCHES... WHICH ACCORDINGLY WOULD CREATE A SNOWFALL THAT WILL RIVAL THE KNICKERBOCKER STORM TOTAL. GENERALLY ACROSS THE REGION... 20 TO 30 INCHES OF SNOW WILL FALL BY SATURDAY EVENING.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Does the Pride have a webcam - it might be interesting to see how much snow piles up on the decks???

The storm will be over by the time she arrives in Baltimore, so there will be no snow to see on her.....

Ave

Hopefully the terminal will be prepared. We had a 5 hour wait in NJ on Jan 14 when Explorer of the Seas was late coming back from drydock in Freeport. RCCL staff was not prepared. We had no food all day except for cookies and juice at the terminal. I couldn't understand why the ship didn't send out the cruise director staff with games, decks of cards, and even trivia to entertain the thousands of people waiting to board.

We had some alcohol in our carryon in the bottom of the bag that I kept thinking about opening up to calm the frustration sitting on a folding chair for 5 hours. Worst of all, the dining room and buffet were closed on schedule so the last groups to board never got a meal. We ended up with room service.

Will look forward to reading about the Pride. Hope everyone has a better experience than ours. At least the ship will sail Sunday. Now I am nervous because we have a flight from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale on Wednesday and it looks like possibly snow or rain in the forecast.

Ski country in NH and Vermont must be disappointed all these winter storms keep going south. The snow gods need a GPS.

Totally off topic but... I've got an extra loaf of bread that I'll let go to the highest bidder. :D

But seriously, I've been thinking about those poor people who will be coming in to Port and finding a ton of snow and those who will be trying to make their cruise.

Safe travels everyone!

We had a storm of the century last month here and I went to the grocery store the afternoon before the storm and a lady in front of me had 9-gallons of milk in her cart along with tons other. The milk shelves were empty. I can't imagine she had a family big enough to drink all that in a few days.

We had a storm of the century last month here and I went to the grocery store the afternoon before the storm and a lady in front of me had 9-gallons of milk in her cart along with tons other. The milk shelves were empty. I can't imagine she had a family big enough to drink all that in a few days.

BUT was she able to get a mani-pedi ? ;):D

They may have to wait in the terminal a day or two. I'm sure that getting cruise passengers on the road is not going to be a top priority in an emergency!

I'd be more concerned with the people trying to get on the ship than with those trying to get off! Lots of people are going to miss their cruise.

At least the ones coming back got to enjoy the cruise, even if the situation back home is bad.

My co-worker who was on the sailing that returned on Sunday, Feb 7, said that they pulled into the port early, 7:30 am. When they got to their cars someone had smuggled a Lido Deck tray off the ship that they passed down the line using it as a shovel. Fellow cruisers helped push other's cars out over that last hump that's always left when the plows come through and she was home (South central PA) by 11:30 am. She said they had a wonderful time, the ship was clean and the food was great!

A few years ago there was a bad storm that left the Dulles Airport parking lot a mess for returning travelers. They were using floor mats to dig out and it was written up in the travel section of the Washington Post. Since then, I've always kept one of those small, retractable handled snow shovels and ice melt in the trunk for just-in-case situations, but it's hard to be prepared for everything that Mother Nature tosses our way. :)

Ms B

Archived