Mobile-Atlanta-St. Louis

cruisinbearcat

I have a few options for a flight after my cruise. One flight leaves from Mobile at 1 p.m. and has 45 min layover in Atlanta. It is a Delta flight. Is this layover enough to not have to worry about missing the connecting flight? I've never been to the Atlanta airport, hence the worries. Thanks

I'm from the Mobile area. I usually fly out of Gulfport because it's a little cheaper than Mobile, but either way, I always end up going through Atlanta. I try not to book anything with less than an hour between connecting flights. I have done it in as little as 40min., but we were running to the next gate. I would give myself more time if at all possible.

I'm assuming your going on the Fantasy or Elation. We'll be on the Fantasy in April.

Enjoy your cruise!

You could easily make an earlier flight out of Mobile. Anything after 11:30 would not give you any problem. I have not been in the port in quite a while but the airport is not too far away and there will be cabs readily available.

45 minutes is a legal connection in Atlanta. I fly in and out of there quite a bit...just last week for example and six times since the first of December.

If you are on a regional jet you could end up at the end of one of five concourses. For example, gate D34 may house four planes and you will have to go to gate D19 to take the escalator down to the train to your next concourse. There is always the chance that your connection could be on the same concourse but I never have that luck. In addition the gates with multiple flights involve outside stairs. Elevators are available for wheelchair or needy passengers.

The train takes just a few minutes from concourse to concourse but if you go from D to T it takes about 15 minutes.

Since you have never flown through Atlanta I have to presume you are not a Delta medallion frequent flyer and cannot grab a seat closer to the door. Exiting any plane is never fast.

I am not trying to scare you. I think Hartsfield-Jackson is really a user friendly airport but I would never book a 45 minute connection. I had almost two hours Thursday night and would have missed my connection but it too was delayed because of the stormy weather in the South.

I hope this has helped and you have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for the advise, I was leaning away form the 45 min layover in Atlanta. My other options include a 11:25 am flight that goes through Memphis, and a 2:30 that goes through Atlanta, but has a 4 hour layover. I'm leaning towards the 11:25 am flight because I really don't want a 4 hour layover, as once in St. Louis I have an additional 3 hr car ride back to my home. I'm am only worried about not getting to the airport on time after debarkation, but was told I can make special arrangements to be one of the first off the ship.

Personally, I like the Memphis airport and it is usually pretty friendly for changing planes. Although I've flown a lot through Atlanta, Memphis is definitely smaller.

If you do decide to go through Memphis and aren't too pressed for time, be sure to drop by Interstate Bar-b-que. It is well worth it!!

Thats funny that you mention Interstate BBQ. I actually planned my flight to Mobile to go through Memphis because of Interstate BBQ. I've seen it on the travel channel, and have always wanted to visit it and try their BBQ spaghetti. I've grown accustomed to Kansas City BBQ since I live close and yet to find something that beats the Original Arthur Bryant's. I can't wait to try Memphis's version.

Archived