Canterbury from Victoria Station?

Wiinblad

We will be staying near Victoria Station post cruise, and would like to go to Canterbury for a day. Is this feasible? Does anyone know how or where I can research buses or trains (possibly from Victoria Station)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I apologize if this is a repeat question as I did try to find previous posts.

Thank you in advance.

We will be staying near Victoria Station post cruise, and would like to go to Canterbury for a day. Is this feasible? Does anyone know how or where I can research buses or trains (possibly from Victoria Station)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

There are trains between Victoria and Canterbury about every 30 minutes that take about 90 minutes to canterbury - so its an easy day trip.

National Express coaches also go to Canterbury from Victoria, these are normally cheaper but slower and go about once an hour.

I'd recommend the train as well. When you plan your day in Canterbury, you might want to note that the trains from Victoria go to Canterbury East.

There is now also a train that goes from London St Pancras to Canterbury West about once an hour. It's about half an hour faster than the train from Victoria, I think because it runs in part on the same high speed line as the Eurostar does.

As you are staying near Victoria station, it doesn't make any sense to haul yourself over from your hotel to St Pancras just to get the fast train, as that will take you half an hour or more in extra time. But if you are starting elsewhere than from your hotel and you can get to St Pancras quickly, that might well be an option.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, as handfordr and Globaliser have noted, trains run frequently between Victoria Station to Canterbury East. The journey takes about an hour and a half each way.

You can check train times and fares here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

And note that you may be able to save a little money by traveling on off-peak trains. Check http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/offpeak.html for more information.

On a personal note--this was one of the first day-trips I did on my first solo visit to London, more than thirty years ago. I still have vivid memories of the train journey and of Canterbury itself.

Enjoy your visit!

• 5 months later...

I was just reviewing the great info from everyone and had one last question please. If we take the train from Victoria Station to "Canterbury East"...is it difficult or far to get to the main "downtown" area and Cathedral? What is in the Victoria East station area? Last time we went we were on a tour, so it is kind of a blur! Thanks in advance for any information.

Both Canterbury East and Canterbury West stations are about the same distance from the cathedral - perhaps 10 minutes' walk without hurrying. See this map.

You'll also see why I have always been baffled by why they're called Canterbury East and Canterbury West - South and North might have been better names!

Archived