I need some new ideas for Skagway, pls

CALMOM

My husband and I went to Alaska in Sept 2007 and we did the Chilkoot Rail/Bus Tour and it was great. We also knew that Skagway was pretty small and not much in town.

This year we are taking our 4 grown kids, 25, 21, 20 & 19 and they have expressed that they are not interested in that tour as they would like to do a more physical tour.

We considered Fishing in Skagway but then I found out Skagway is not the best port for fishing, there are 6 of us and even if we found a boat that could and would hold 6, only 4 could fish at a time, as to not tangle lines. The cost is roughly $1K for only 3 - 4 hrs. of fishing.

Do you have any suggestions for our family. The kids said they will see enough scenery with the ship and the other port excursions. I am unable to hike do to back problems and we definitely want to do excursions together, as this is a gift from my husband and I and I want to take pictures and videos of the kids. Please keep in mind that there is 6 of us, so excursions that run $400/pp really is not in my budget but I would be willing to go up to $300/pp, if necessary. We will be in port for 13 hrs. so we have plenty of time.

We did the rock climbing and rapelling a few year back (our kids were only in their teens) but it was a fun few hours. I did it as well (and certainly not in my teens).

We actually did the Chilkoot in the morning and this in the afternoon. Rock climbing was one of our favorites. The nice thing is that they divide you into smaller groups (ours was our family). Our group was pretty adventurous and did some of the more advanced sections.

My DW couldnt climb either but they offered a ride only option so she could come along, snap pictures, etc. The walk from the road wasnt long although did have a couple of tricky places.

pictures here

We did the rock climbing and rapelling a few year back (our kids were only in their teens) but it was a fun few hours. I did it as well (and certainly not in my teens).

We actually did the Chilkoot in the morning and this in the afternoon. Rock climbing was one of our favorites. The nice thing is that they divide you into smaller groups (ours was our family). Our group was pretty adventurous and did some of the more advanced sections.

My DW couldnt climb either but they offered a ride only option so she could come along, snap pictures, etc. The walk from the road wasnt long although did have a couple of tricky places.

pictures here

Thank you, I will run it by them. Thank you for the pictures, nice looking family.

We've done the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari several times and I think you would really enjoy it. Don't worry about your back. You don't have to paddle if you don't want to. (Let the kids do the work.:))

Not my pictures, but here's an idea of what you do on the tour:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552429029dpTqDR

We've done the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari several times and I think you would really enjoy it. Don't worry about your back. You don't have to paddle if you don't want to. (Let the kids do the work.:))

Not my pictures, but here's an idea of what you do on the tour:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552429029dpTqDR

Thank you for the pictures, there great. Yeah, your right, I can just tell my kids "Mom's back hurts" and I can sit back and enjoy the canoe ride;). Did you actually get to go up on the Glacier or just next to it? Thanks again.

We didn't get on the glacier, but paddled as close as safety permitted. I was concerned because the most exercise I get is walking the dachshunds around the block, but with 12 people in the canoe, they tell you right at the beginning that not everyone has to paddle. Each canoe is equipped with a motor so the guide can use it if he/she feels like it.

Once you're away from the town, you feel like you're in the "real" Alaska. The guides actually live out there in the woods during the summer. They were wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...
Calmom, did your adult kids enjoy the Yukon bus/rail tour the 1st time they did it? We're traveling in June with our 24, 22, & 17 yr olds & I was planning on doing that tour. Also looking into the ATV tour which I think they might like.

Our first cruise in Sept 2007, we did not take the kids. This will be their first cruise to Alaska in July. My husband and I did the Yukon bus/rail and enjoyed it very much. I just think my kids would not enjoy it as much, their not much of sitting, they like to get out and go for the physical type excursions.

We have actually decided to do the Takshanuj Mountain Trail by 4x4, http://www.takshanuktrail.com/Home.html , the kids said they would see enough glaciers between Prince William Sound, Hubbard, Glacier Bay and Mendenhall Glacier, so they weren't interested in canoeing to a glacier. I have seen great reviews on CC about this excursion.

We had a stop in Skagway and compromised with a little of this and that. I did not enjoy the railroad either, but my DH was frothing at the mouth. We actually took the ferry over to Haines and did a small waterway tour and it was amazing. We saw bears (momma & 3 cubs), elk, some birds that were too far away even for my zoom, and a baby eaglet - well they stay in the nest for a year, so I am not sure how old it was - but is was still dark in color. I do not remember the glacier float, but it does sound amazing. Good for you that your adult kids want to go. It's not a party place, but the scenery is amazing - as you know. Hope you guys have a wonderfule trip.

pictures here

Thanks for sharing! I was curious about this excursion. I can't wait!

Archived