Tips for DIY tour in Noumea

Bella cruiser

Hi everyone I am really enjoying this forum, a wealth of information!!!:) Myself, my husband, my 7yo son and a good friend have booked on Pacific Sun out of Newcastle on 18 September 2010.

I have been on cruise ships when I was young but not for many years, so obviously it has changed heaps. The rest of the party are newbies and I hope they all love cruising as much as my family did as with luck it could become an annual event:rolleyes:.

One of our ports of call is Noumea and I've heard about a sightseeing bus tour and a 'train' tour that can be booked at the terminal. Can anyone tell me about these tours: Where do the go? How long do they go for? What do they cost? What currency is accepted? etc. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jenny

Past cruises

Tjiwangi x2 - 1971 and 1973

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Fairstar x5 - 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 & 1980

Future cruises

Pacific Sun - 18 September 2010

Hi Jenny

The Petit Train (Little or Chouchou train) gives you a great sightseeing tour of Noumea & goes to Anse Vata & up a really great lookout. When we were there we were above hang gliders!!. It can be booked in the terminal for about $15pp AUD which is a fraction of the price if booked through P&O. Australian currency is accepted in the terminal or you can use visa or m'card. Also in the terminal you can get your passport stamped fro free with a souvenir stamp at the PO.

Hi Anne & Allan

Thanks so much for your advice I think we will save money this way and my son will love a special stamp in his passport.

I just spotted your countdown clock..(I'll have to get myself a countdown clock)...Only two more days untill you go on the Pacific Sun again yourselves.......Have a great time!!!!!

Regards Jenny

On our Sun princess cruise I stayed on board but hubby went for a walk. He said all the train times were booked out and that was about 1pm. If you are planning on doing this in school holidays or full cruises, you may need to get down there early and book it.

We were there mid January.

Another easy tour to organise is a visit to the aquarium. We caught the local bus outside the market.

You can also catch the water taxi right under the tourist office hut at Anse Vata. There is also a less busy taxi at the Fun Restaurant.

You buy your tour ticket at the Noumea cruise terminal. We paid $25 ea a few months ago.

We had a choice of the train 90min "local" tour or for a little more a 2 hr countryside trip in a modern coach.

The trip on the train (road based but looks like a train) was very good and the commentary was exceptional. They make plenty of stops.

For the tour payment AU$ was fine but in local shops most prefer the Pacific Franc.

Note... remove any caps when entering restaurants there... it is a sore point with locals.

Have a great cruise.:):):)

Hi

Thanks so much everone for your great advice!!!:) I am getting excited already and our cruise is still 7 months away. :D

Thanks again

Jenny

Past cruises

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Future cruises

Hi Jenny, We have been to Numea a few times and the last time (NYE cruise) we hired a car. Just at the wharf there. I think we had it for 3 or 4 hours. We are a family of 4 and it worked out a lot cheaper plus we went where we wanted to go. They gave us maps etc...... and although Numea is very ordinary to say the least if you drive out (past lemon bay i think it was called) it is really pretty and you wouldnt even think you are in Numea. completely different scenery, shops, beaches etc..... Just a thought...mind you, it did feel strange driving on the wrong side of the road and sitting in the wrong side of the car ..lol:p Fiona

p.s...there was also motorbikes/buggy's to hire as well..

Fiona

Did the driver have an International Drivers Licence?

Reason I ask - if anyone has an accident (On most policies) and does not habe an IDL they are not covered by travelers insurance

I will be interested to hear from others re this

Di

Fiona

Did the driver have an International Drivers Licence?

Reason I ask - if anyone has an accident (On most policies) and does not habe an IDL they are not covered by travelers insurance

I will be interested to hear from others re this

Di

Di,

No, we did not have IDL. The insurance was included in hire price. They gave us all the info regarding that. Driver had to be over 25. Was that what you meant?:) Fiona

No not what I meant . I assumed the vehicle was insured but I bet YOU all weren't.

Please read your travel insurance policies thoroughly as MOST do not cover your medical etc if you do not have an IDL

Don't want to be an alarmist but I know of people out of pocket who have been injured

Di

Hi Jenny, Myself,My husband and our 6yo son are taking our first cruise on the 14.8.10 on the pacific sun to New Caledonia. I agree with you about the wealth of information these guys are way better than a travel agent any day. Have to say as excited as I am and yes its 6 whole months away, lol Im as much terrified. I have visions of these enormous seas and us hanging on for dear life for 9 days.lol. Well its nice to know I'm not alone with the tons of questions I have either. I really want to know what the weather will be like in noumea in august is it warm enough to swim there at that time of year?

Regards Leanne.

Hi Jenny, Myself,My husband and our 6yo son are taking our first cruise on the 14.8.10 on the pacific sun to New Caledonia. I agree with you about the wealth of information these guys are way better than a travel agent any day. Have to say as excited as I am and yes its 6 whole months away, lol Im as much terrified. I have visions of these enormous seas and us hanging on for dear life for 9 days.lol. Well its nice to know I'm not alone with the tons of questions I have either. I really want to know what the weather will be like in noumea in august is it warm enough to swim there at that time of year?

Regards Leanne.

You will be able to swim anywhere in the South Pacific ( I don't count QZ & NZ in that statement) Have fun it's an addictive type of holiday.

Di

Hi Jenny,

We were on PD to Noumea in January 2010.

At the cruise terminal we booked a Coach tour with Pacific Lagoon Tours.

It was a 1 hr tour of the highlights of Noumea and was interesting.

It was on a 48 seater air conditioned coach and the cost was AUD$15 each . In fact if you pay it in Pacific francs it works out a bit cheaper.

The Tour guide on our coach was extremely good, very enthusiastic, knowledgeable and passionate about her work.

I asked her for a business card and she gave me her email address as follows: vivalain@lagoon.nc

There is another company at the Cruise terminal that does the 1 hr tours at the same price - Country Tours however I noted that they operated 8 seater mini buses.

Enjoy the cruise.

Cheers

Neil

There are a number of tourist companies at the terminal so you will have a choice of tours. As one poster said, you probably need to book and pay for the petit train once you get off the ship as they do sell out after a while. We booked the 1pm train ride and a few passengers missed out as they booked but did not pay for the tickets and the operator sold their tickets.

One tip though - if you can either get your francs before you get there or go to a bank to withdraw some francs - there is an ATM not very far from the terminal - if you walk along the road at the side of the big supermarket, you will see a bank at the junction after the supermarket - it is not very far from the terminal. There is a money changer in the terminal but there is a minimum of US$50 that must be changed and you do not get a good rate and they charge a hefty commission. :)

You will be able to swim anywhere in the South Pacific ( I don't count QZ & NZ in that statement) Have fun it's an addictive type of holiday.

Di

I have this feeling that it will be a very addictive holiday and way to travel. Cant wait to sail.

Regards Leanne.

Hi Leanne

Don't worry I'm sure you will have a great time, our trip is 7 months away and I am also very excited:)

I hope you and your family have great weather, you've chosen a good time of year.

But beware cruising is addictive, my mum and dad are certainly addicted!!! (I hope my husband catches the cruise bug). I have been in love with cruising since I was a teenager and have finally talked my husband into trying it.;)

Regards

Jenny

Past cruises

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Future cruises

Archived