QM2 5/21 Eastbound TA

mike14c

Damn, Damn, Damn, sounds like you guys will have a great time. Think of us lowly folks on the Noordam slowly crossing from Fort lauderdale to Barcelona (14 days). Maybe have a couple of bevs for the boys.

Ed/Jeff/Mark/Paul

Ed/Jeff we will lift several to you and yours. And we're taking 13 days to cross the Atlantic, well it is both ways. Looking forward to having four lovely days in London at the Summer Bank Holiday. Eating, drinking, shopping, and seeing a west end show. Sounds like a weekend in SF. should be fun. How many years has it been since we saw Victor, Victoria in Minneapolis any way Jeff?

Jeff, We're looking forward to seeing in July. Ron is going to the So. Cal geneologist meeting at the Burbank Hilton/Marriot or what ever in June. What is the name of the convention your comming down for?

You guys have a terrific time both TA and the Cote d'azur. See you soon.

Mike.

Going way back on this thread: re: cumberbunds and bow ties and studs, etc. I fear that here I am the most boring traditionalist. I stick with black, black, black, however will have at least two sets of studs and all sorts of footwear. Which is not to say I don't enjoy creativity and color in others. My reluctance to add color to black tie is, I think, the last vestiage of my Catholic upbringing (c.f. nuns), and if that's all the baggage I have, lucky me. Bring on the tartans and purples, boys!

Just a tad more than two weeks!

Hi Mike,

I've picked out a few patterned cumberbunds - black, red, silver - and even a vest! I'm beginning to think that it really be the "Queen's" Grill.......

Looks like the move to Chicago is on, hopefully our new dishwasher will add some resale value to the house.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim, lets hope fror better. I think there is hope as your leader is keeping his 1600 office.

Mike 14C, I think the velvet Albert Slippers, say your not that conservative. I have found a pair at Churches Shoes, 62 and Madison, and am going to check on them. I also found a firm in Norfolk, UK which makes them to order, 6 to 8 weeks, so not in this years crossing. But I can have my family crest ( if I can find one) embossed. Else my monogram.

I had cocktails with a friend this evening and told him about the slippers, and he said, why am I is surprized. I told him I was surprized.

Jim, stiff upper lip

Mike

Skyhigh,

I am saddened to hear that CO will bite the dust and even sadder that it will be UAL. That being said I think you will learn to love Chicago. There is so much to see, eat,do there and a really large GLBT community. I know the weather can be a bit daunting but, remember, you work for an airline.....go away a lot.

When I started at NWA in the 60's I was in MSP and then ORD but sure put the miles in on weekends etc. Of course then I started flying in 68 and for 40 years was on the road.

I like the fact the planes will be CO logo.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I actually grew up in Fremont so I didn't just want to work for any airline, i wanted to work for the "home town" carrier - United. The situation is both exciting and nerve-wracking. I'm sure Chicago will probably be fine and it will be great to be able to fly to more places in Europe and Asia nonstop than Houston (and even do a day trip back to the Bay Area for some Zachary's pizza), but its still a huge inconvenience for just about everyone. I guess i should consider myself lucky as its taken me also 14 years to work for a major carrier and not have had to go through a bankruptcy, strike or merger.

I was almost hoping for the CO globe to be transposed somehow onto the UA Tulip, but i think that sticking with the pure CO logo helps to send a true picture of a merger of "equals". You read the name United, but see the imagery of CO. It will be interesting to see which of the various products are kept from CO or UA - whether we will keep UA's first class or move to all BusinessFirst, which lounges (somebody mentioned that President's Club makes sense for an airline with so many operations in washington DC), Economy Plus (very strong opinions on both sides at CO), FFP, etc.

Jim

NY Mike, I found the Albert Slippers at Church's English Shoes, Madison at 62nd. They have them in stock in my size. I am going to pick up a pair. A bit pricer than in London, $260/pair vs GBP 100/pair in London. The Pound is 1.484 to the dollar today, so that is good news.

Two weeks from tomorrow.

California Mike.

Good find, CA Mike! Wear them well. Mine -- from Belgian Shoes -- just arrived with very silly but fun crests on them.

By the way, the way the European currencies are collapsing (seen this news this afternoon?) we may well find the GBP down to historic lows in a couple of weeks. The Euro looks like its heading to dollar parity...

Assuming, of course, the crashing Euro (and Pound) doesn't end up taking the whole global econonmy down. Again. Yikes, between that and the damn volcano, I think its just time for a glass of champagne.

Jim, At least two.

Less than two weeks today we're aboard.

I folded my shirts, yesterday and got every thing ready to pack for the White Star Service pick up next Thursday. I separated the clothes needed for NYC and London to go into the roll aboards. Just the last few items left to do. I am almost ready.

Ron's bag is packed and he is in Palm Springs getting ready to close the house for a Month (clean out the refrig. etc.) and will be back Sunday. Then all we have to do is wait, patiently. If that is possible. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Best Mike

Well, all this thread has suddenly gone way quiet. Its time for a wake up. Were looking at how we get our pal Tom back on our Sofa if necessary in the event his sister cannot get to London to accompany him back.

I am looking forward to next week.

Mike

I'll dive right in here, then!

I was talking about a committee meeting next week on TH and a speaking request the following week today to my assistant - and it dawned on me: OMG - we leave next week. :o I had to cancel the speaking request for 25MAY which I had verbally accepted via vmails today. (Actually, I just turned it over to someone else - but you get the point.) Sailing date approaches . . . !

Jim leaves for MCO this week to see the final Shuttle launching on Friday. Alas, I get the pleasure of lunching with attorneys tomorrow and engineers on Friday. I think I'll wear my seersucker suit and bowtie - in May - so there WidowClicque!;)

It hit north of 90 degrees today . . . summer approaches the TX Gulf Coast. My blood is so thin that we keep the thermostat at 76 - anything less than that I grow cold! The temperate climate of London will be a break for a few days but I can tell ya, fellas, by the third day at sea I may be spending a disproportianant amount of time in the dry sauna!

We will likely look into getting tix in London to see Enron: The Musical. The former Enron tower (now home to Chevron) literally sits between Jim's building and mine - I am at 1200 Smith, Jim is at 1600 Smith. Ah . . . the crooked E.

Big Mike - any word on specialty catering for the gathering at the Commodore Club? (I went to Vanderbilt and everytime I hear "the commodore" I think Cornelius instead Samuel . . .)

Rob't.

Robert. There has been a defening silence from Cunard as to doing anything for us except putting on additional bartenders to handle the drinks order. Oh well, you will at least have some goodies at our sail away party the evening before.

I am ordering a bottle of Gin (thinking Bombay Saphire, unless you prefer an alternate brand) I will probably have to have you come back and finish it before the end of the crossing, So make it your favorite. NY Mike, would your terrific sister like a particular drink, if so let me know.

The dining room table is full of my clothes to be packed tomorrow to allow White Star to pick it up on Thursday.

BTW. I lived in Dallas for ten years up until three years ago. I kept the a/c at 68 in the summer. I love it cool to sleep by. The same here because its hot in the summers in Pasadena. One of the reasons I don't go to Palm Springs in the summer, is that I can never get cool enough. I have to fight Ron to keep the house there cooler even in the spring when its only 90 outside.

We head for NYC a week from tomorrow.

Mike.

Hi, Guys:

Notice how just be you take a vacation, the work flow accelerates like mad? This is what is happening to me right now, with a plethora of deadlines landing on my desk...all for the 19th and 20th of May, of course! Ah well.

So I pulled out all of my clothes. The nice thing about living in New York and departing from New York is that it is easy to bring a lot of luggage on board (then ship home from UK). I've just said **** it and am going full on summer, with a lot of white pants and sersucker and bow ties. I suddenly wish I had a straw hat, but that's too much costume. I have also invested in a fab pair of pajamas since I will be sharing a room with my sister. When was the last time you bought pajamas: it's fun! Or am I getting old? Maybe I'll wear them for entertaining!

See you in a little more than a week!

Mike

I last bought jammies in 2000 and I only wear them when I stay at my sister or brothers in Houston at the holidays. But I will have them, in case Tom has to return with us in our cabin due to volcano ash.

The big bags are packed and labeled, White Star picks them up tomorrow. I brought an extra pair of shoe bags, for the new slippers, and will bring them to NYC next week.

I am really excited about this trip. Its nice to have made some friends, even before we board, that gives us a head start on the good times. We are almost ready.

Mike

Our sailaway party is one week from today. Anybody excited, I sure am. White Star picked up the big bags yesterday.

I spend the day working on the Patio, I had the hot tub removed and the lower patio fully bricked. Had to get the plants relocated, they are in moving pots, and cleaned up the outdoor furniture for the summer.

Three weeks after we return we have our annual 4th of July barbeque, with free fireworks courtesy of the Rosebowl. The more I have done before, means I can continue to bask in the glow of 13 days at sea, 4 days in London and 2 in NYC with out breaking the spirit.

Now, I am going to go soak in my deep tub, and loosen up the tired back muscles.

See you soon.

Mike

Good Morning Gentlemen,

My partner Michael and I will be joining the May 21 crossing and the June 1 return. Looking forward to great food, conversation, and the pleasure of meeting new acquaintances.

Thank you all for the wonderful tidbit's of information that you share with everyone.

See you on board,

Albert & Michael

Albert and Michael, Welcome to the crossing and our little thread. Tell us more about yourselves.

There are at least six of us so far, seven if you count NewYork Mike's amazing sister. I am traveling with my pal of 30+ years Ron, and our friend Tom from Jacksonville. We're from Southern Ca.

Robert and Jim are from Houston, and Of course, Mike 14c a.k.a. New York Mike is from NYC.

Cheers California Mike

Good Morning Gentlemen,

My partner Michael and I will be joining the May 21 crossing and the June 1 return. Looking forward to great food, conversation, and the pleasure of meeting new acquaintances.

Thank you all for the wonderful tidbit's of information that you share with everyone.

See you on board,

Albert & Michael

Welcome, Albert! I hope you and Michael have time to join the Commadore Club gathering on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. Or perhaps the FOD get-together? At any rate, see you on-board!

Rob't.

Robert and Jim are from Houston

Even though I grew up in Oak Park near Chicago, I stopped by B&N today and bought two travel guides/city guides to Chicago. Might as well bone up on our new "home town" - as this time next year I'l be house hunting up there due to the merger. :mad:

On a side note, there was some cross talk about the president of Cunard being on this voyage and I can confirm that. According to a brochure I received some time ago, the May 21 transatlantic crossing is a "President's Voyage," in which Peter Shanks (managing director of Cunard) will be available to "meet guests" and will present "a progress update on Queen Elizabeth."

Big Mike - any thoughts on this?

Archived