Free Beaches in Costa Maya

AuTiger7

Walk thru the cruise center out the back, and take a taxi to the little fishing village of Majualhual ($3/pp if I remember right). It's like, a 5 minute ride. The whole shoreline of the little town is beach...............lovely, lovely beach. It's lined with small thatched roofed restaurants, bars, massage tables, some have hammocks. Pick a spot you like, and sit down. All they ask is that you buy perhaps a drink, or some food. The water is calm, you can see the ships in the distance. It's one of our favorite places to "beach it". There are also lots of small vendor tables on the other side of the street, so you can get your shopping done, too. If you search the boards here, you'll find more info. Have fun!

Well, I supposed "family friendly" may mean different things to different people, but I didn't see any topless or nude bathing anywhere while I was there. Within walking distance of the pier is a commercial complex that includes beach and I think it was free to use the beach, but it's somewhat rocky. Most people take a $2 taxi (it's actually a bus) about 5 minutes to Majahaul, which is the local town, which has a long waterfront with many public beach spots. You may need to purchase beverages/food to use the beach in some spots since they are in front of various establishments. It is then $3 to get back to the pier. I don't recall seeing any beaches that had children's playground equipment or anything like that though. And I also think there was probably alcoholic beverages in play on most of the beaches. And people getting $20 massages.

We took our 2 kids, age 6 and 11 to Costa Maya last January and they had a blast on the beach in Mahahual. It was very quiet that day, but they ended up meeting some other little kids and building sand castles and playing in the water all afternoon. The fact that the reef pretty much blocks all of the surf, the water is calm and very shallow, which makes it great for kids. There are also tons of restaurants that will let you use their beach chairs and stuff, if you buy a few drinks or food from them.

Archived