Stockholm ?'s - Hotel, Archipelago

We are arriving in Stockholm two days prior to our cruise in July. Does anyone know anything about the Lydmar Hotel? We prefer to not stay in American hotels (Hilton, Marriott, etc). Also, we have basically two days to sightsee. Would you use one of those days to take a boat to Grinda, Sandhamm or Vaxholm? There are quite a few things we want to see in STockholm so just not sure about using that time to take a boat trip. But, we don't want to miss something that might be really cool, either.

Karen

We are arriving in Stockholm two days prior to our cruise in July. Does anyone know anything about the Lydmar Hotel? We prefer to not stay in American hotels (Hilton, Marriott, etc). Also, we have basically two days to sightsee. Would you use one of those days to take a boat to Grinda, Sandhamm or Vaxholm? There are quite a few things we want to see in STockholm so just not sure about using that time to take a boat trip. But, we don't want to miss something that might be really cool, either.

Karen

The original Lydmar closed sometime ago but has recently opened in a new location. I have not been there, but the new location is much nicer than the original, in my opinion. It is now located right near the Grand Hotel with a nice view of the Royal Palace across the water.

As far as taking a day to see the archipelago. If you just want a taste, go to Vaxholm. It is not that far and there are regular boats going back and forth and there is an old fortress there. Sandhamn is nice, but takes quite a bit longer and would probably take the whole day. If you like sailboats, Sandhamn is the place. Frankly, not that much to do once you get there. I have never been to Grinda so I can't comment, but I imagine it is a typical archipelago village.

Al

We had four days in Stockholm a few summers ago, and it was not enough. It's a great city, with a lot to see and do. You get a wonderful taste of the archipelago on your cruise out, so I don't know that I'd spend city time doing that. You MUST see the Vasa Museum. It's the best museum I've ever been to, and if you have extra time and the weather is nice, it's great to explore the island. There's a lovely garden/nursery/bakery called Rosendals on Djurgarden. It's a walk from the Vasa, but they have salads, sandwiches and pastries in a gorgeous setting, and is a local spot, not touristy. You can spend a day in Gamla Stan with the Royal Armory and changing of the guard at the palace. I also loved the modern part of the city, including the market at Hotorget (fruits and veggies weekdays, and a swapmeet on Sundays). If you like views, a hike to the top of the Stadshuset tower (City Hall) gives you a great overview of the city.

We had four days in Stockholm a few summers ago, and it was not enough. It's a great city, with a lot to see and do. You get a wonderful taste of the archipelago on your cruise out, so I don't know that I'd spend city time doing that. You MUST see the Vasa Museum. It's the best museum I've ever been to, and if you have extra time and the weather is nice, it's great to explore the island. There's a lovely garden/nursery/bakery called Rosendals on Djurgarden. It's a walk from the Vasa, but they have salads, sandwiches and pastries in a gorgeous setting, and is a local spot, not touristy. You can spend a day in Gamla Stan with the Royal Armory and changing of the guard at the palace. I also loved the modern part of the city, including the market at Hotorget (fruits and veggies weekdays, and a swapmeet on Sundays). If you like views, a hike to the top of the Stadshuset tower (City Hall) gives you a great overview of the city.

Thank you so much for all this information. I'm going to put all of this on our list of "must see's".

Thanks again.

Karen

Archived