Confirming Athens Tours With CC?

Whasup

My experience with Italian tour operators do not require any credit card numbers or deposits. Do all Greek tour operators want a CC #? Please share your experience. I understand that businesses want to cover their buts, but how do foreigners protect theirs. I have read that some fax 1/2 their numbers on two different faxes as not to be victims of identity theft. Makes one a little nervous.:confused: Looking for Athens tour operator that does not require cc#. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hi whasup,

Unfortunately I cannot help with a tour operator that doesn't want a c/card #. However, for the bookings I have made that require a c/card number to secure a booking I have telephoned them to give them my number. Albeit in the middle of their night!! I would not consider faxing a secure way of sending your c/card number and certainly not via email. all the best.

I use a Schwab credit card that lets you generate one time use numbers over the Internet. The unique number it generates is tied to your account but it is not your account number. For each unique number I generate, I can specify the maximum dollar amount that can be charge to that number and how many months that number will be active. Each number can only be used by one merchant. This is the only kind of credit card number I feel comfortable sending to reserve foreign tours. I also use those numbers when I purchase from some internet retailers that I don't buy from often.

By the way, the Schwab card is similar to Capital One in that neither of them charge extra fees when you use them outside the USA.

I reserved in Italy and Greece last year and this summer too. I was asked for my credit card number in both Italy and Greece. I had no problems. All the reputable tour companies required either a deposit or a credit card for insurance in case of a non-show. I would advise you to have a limited credit card that you will use only for this purpose just to be on the safe side.

Archived