Ideas on jerks blocking the stairs?

kay1864

[quote name='boogerman54321']Original post (and subsequent posts by thread starter) reminds me of Arthur Mitchell (Dexter season 4). Hmmmm....[/QUOTE]

Trinity? [IMG]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/scottm4211/smilies/scared2.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='MrPete']Everyone has different pages due to their user settings. But, I'm not going back. [/quote]You're still funny! First you want examples, then you won't go look when I tell you where they are, even though you claim you've read "each and every one".

[quote]I don't call my fellow cruisers jerks[/quote]Amazing that you've never once encountered anyone being a jerk on a cruise. Or that you don't consider people deliberately blocking stairs to be jerks. Me, I'm not that charitable.

[quote]Enjoy your laugh.[/quote]Believe me, I am, each time you reply to my "imaginary" posts.

OP

My theory- and although I have never experienced what you describe (not moving)... I can totally see it happening..

I THINK referring to a thread/post that backs up your argument is just another person saying this is true.. so if some posters don't believe you, why would they believe another on this? This is not exactly a problem that comes up on the board everyday... you know, like chair hogs, smoking, screaming children - all hot button issues...

I really doubt you have anything to worry about....:)

[quote name='firefly333']News to me too, and Iv been on a lot of cruises.

I thought it was old people sitting on the stairs blocked them waiting for the dining room to open up.[/quote]
That's all I can think of either but it's due to poor design for an entrance to the dining rooms. Other than that I never saw any roadblocking teeniebobbers.

[quote name='kay1864']You're still funny! First you want examples, then you won't go look when I tell you where they are, even though you claim you've read "each and every one".
[/quote]

Now who's not reading? Your page 7 and my page seven would be different.

Read slowly.

I want YOUR source for the post.

[quote name='johnreimer']Kay1864, you can add me to the list of people who have seen this, though I tend to be uber-observant, and, FWIW, I find it a valid question, not that you need my (or anyones) validation to ask what you want. :)[/quote]Thanks John!

[quote]The suggestions on the "excuse me" approach (matter of fact but polite tone) usually have worked for me because most people aren't purposefully blocking, they're motivation is just to sit.[/quote]Agreed.

[quote]self-preservation (oh no the fat guy may step on my hand) usually outranks teenage territoriality on the list of motivations. ;)[/quote]Good point!

We had a group of 8 couples that cruised together. Each cruise passenger group brings on its own collective personality. We used to name them. We had 'the people that were lost.' Don't know why we looked like experts or something but we were CONSTANTLY interrupted by other pax asking directions to somewhere on the ship. I'm not talking about 3 or 4 times a day. I mean people LINING up to ask questions while we are all sitting at a large table in a lounge having a drink?? And it happened everywhere, everyday.

To the OP's question:

We also had, "The people that blocked the way!" On this cruise, people stood at the top or bottom of stairways in groups of 4 to 6, just talking away. They also stood in doorways doing the same. For the first day or 2 we would all just say, "Excuse me please, coming through." We got looks like we were idiots and very little and slow compliance. We got to the point where, as we approach one of these groups we would call out, "Get the He11 out of the way!!" By the end of the cruise, another 4 letter word replaced he11!!! But they did move!:D:D

Those people blocking the way were as old then as I am now!!

On the NCL Star the teen club is situated next to stairwell, as i recall aft? Anyway, when the kids were kicked out after hours they'd linger in that set of stairs. Funny enough the cabins nearby book up quickly as it's well reported that they key would then be to call down & complain about the hooligans...by the 2nd night, OBC would be forthcoming:rolleyes:.

As for guests clogging stairways, could be they are non-english speaking & confused; life is short don't stress on vacation.

[quote name='trock']I THINK referring to a thread/post that backs up your argument is just another person saying this is true.. so if some posters don't believe you, why would they believe another on this? [/quote]Good point! All those posters making up the same thing... :p

[quote]This is not exactly a problem that comes up on the board everyday... you know, like chair hogs, smoking, screaming children - all hot button issues... [/quote]Agreed. I just happened to read several cases of it on a couple of threads (along with aggressive line-breakers on the same threads), so I thought, "Hmm, how to handle people who refuse to move?"

[quote] I really doubt you have anything to worry about....:)[/quote]Odds are, probably not, (although as I've said, I'm not exactly "worried"--more "curious/contemplative") but after reading multiple cases, I wondered how others might handle it. Amidst all the silliness on this thread, there've actually been several reasoned replies (yours among them).

Thanks!

The OP seems to be talking about the stairs near the pool, which the waiters use all the time, so not sure how long anyone would be able to just block them, without Security making them leave.
Carnival might not care about everything, but if you impede their drink servers from getting from the bar to the patron, they will definitely jump into action.:D

I think the OP got bored on the HAL/Disney boards and wanted to stir the pot over here.

[quote name='DaytonCruiser']I think the OP got bored on the HAL/Disney boards and wanted to stir the pot over here.[/quote]Actually the OP was reading posts on the Carnival board, and decided to ask about something he read.

i've seen kids doing this, but never had a problem with them not moving. i just politely say excuse me and start walking where i need to go.
if they did refuse to move i would probably say excuse me and just walk right over them and comment how these are stairs and not chairs. they are kids afterall. and the more they know they get at you...the more they may continue to do this.

OOO, I have a kids sitting on the stairs story....I just remembered! They had to be like 10/13 a boy and a girl. We were on the Freedom and the way the night club is there is a window you can look through on the stairway on the backside and see people dancing......if you were sitting down or at the bottom of the stairs b/c it was a short/long window. This girl and guy were sitting there watching people dance....I guess b/c they couldn't go in themsleves. Anyway, I was more concerned over the poor guy who was obviously crushin on this girl and saying stupid things then I was about them blocking the stairs. They weren't using the entire stairway either. There was still room for a couple to walk together on the other half. Although I did have to admit that it was kinda weird knowing that these tweens were being such voyeurs at such a young age and probably critiquing how I "dropped it like its hot"

[quote name='kay1864']Again, just because you have not personally encountered the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Several other posters feel that it does.[/quote]

Why don't you relax Jack! Do you always go on vacation looking for what [I]might happen[/I]:confused: If that is your picture I would think you are old enough to handle this situation if indeed it ever happens.........

[quote name='kay1864']I've read about groups of people (often teenagers) sitting on the stairs, blocking anyone from going up or down.

Any clever ideas to handle this?

I don't like "call ship security" as (a) I don't have time to wait for security to arrive when all I want to do is get from the pool to the deck above and (b) it certainly doesn't prevent the same people from doing it again, ad infinitum.

"Take the other stairs" is not an option for me either. I see no need to walk all the way around the pool just because a group of people thinks it's okay to block one set of stairs.

My own inclination is to say "Excuse me" twice (the second time a little louder in case the noise from the pool prevented them from hearing). If still no results, I step on the nearest hand, clearing a path for me to walk up the stairs.

I realize that can result in an altercation (or maybe even a lawsuit) but honestly I'm at a loss as to how one should deal with such inconsiderate behavior.

A poster mentioned carrying a glass of tomato juice while in the buffet line, so someone who rudely jostles you to cut in line will get tomato juice on them. So...anything clever that will work on the stair-blocking problem?[/quote]

my friend , all i can say is wow ,

are you really on vacations ???? yeah , I have see a few of u on the ships :D

[quote name='conchead'][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Firefly[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]you must protect yourself..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]he is a Disney Cruiser... and pooof there is a mouse in your house[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]I don't know about you, but I am going to make one of those aluminum foil hats.....[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B]Look Nunu did already[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x233/SDZD/anunutin-foil-hat.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=lime]Disclaimer: This is all done in the name of good fun[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]
This is the most clever post I have ever read on CC (except for some from NuNu) :D

[quote name='boogerman54321']LMAO....this is actually a thread? Dude,...you need a vacation! ;)

Have a big onion, some beer,....let it fester a bit and at the "right moment" approach the stair dwellers and let 'er rip! That should clear them out.

Mother of pearl, I can't believe I actually replied to such a ridiculous thread. "Oooooo,...the stair-people, AND they're teenagers!" How do you sleep at night?[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]That was sort of already suggested, but some tried to say that[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]people can not fart on command..[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]........little do they know, some guys thrive on it..maybe some women too[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Archived