Ideas on jerks blocking the stairs?

kay1864

Not sure why so many people here are defending punk teenagers that block stairs after being asked to move.

Myself, I am with the OP... i would ask twice politely (loud the second time) and if the group did not move, I would GO THROUGH - I might not aim to step on a hand, but if a hand got stepped on, I would be lying if I said I wouldn't chuckle about it.

Good point! All those posters making up the same thing... :p

Agreed. I just happened to read several cases of it on a couple of threads (along with aggressive line-breakers on the same threads), so I thought, "Hmm, how to handle people who refuse to move?"

Odds are, probably not, (although as I've said, I'm not exactly "worried"--more "curious/contemplative") but after reading multiple cases, I wondered how others might handle it. Amidst all the silliness on this thread, there've actually been several reasoned replies (yours among them).

Thanks!

The reality is, if I said excuse me twice, and no one is moving.. I am walking through, on and over them and dont give a damn who's hands are there...

;)

Not sure why so many people here are defending punk teenagers that block stairs after being asked to move.

I don't think I have seen anybody post that. :confused: I certainly would NOT condone that.

I have yet to see someone say they asked to get through, was heard, and was ignored.

We already know it wasn't the OP.

Are you looking for a reason as to why Carnival won't be as good as the other lines you've been on? What exactly is your point in dwelling on it?

IF, by some miracle you notice that some teenagers are blocking YOUR staircase (because apparently you own all the staircases you choose to use and get to dictate what other people are allowed to do on said staircases) and they DON'T respond to you asking them nicely to move will your entire cruise be ruined. IF you have to be inconvenienced to go around or take the elevator will the rest of your cruise be in shambles? What if it happens on the first day of your cruise? Will you use your vacation guarantee to leave and go home at the first port because of all the "inconsiderate behavior" of your fellow Pax? Why exactly do you have more right to those stairs than they do? Why was the fare you paid to get on the ship more important than theirs. It's their vacation and if they feel the most comfortable place for them to experience their vacation is sitting on YOUR stairs, then what authority do you have to command them to move. YES, stairs are typically designed for ascending or descending to different levels of a structure, but they are also conveniently designed with wide enough steps to accomodate a sitting person. You seem very entitled to me and not grateful for the fact that the circumstances in your life have allowed you to take a cruise vacation.

What do you do at the grocery store when you want to go up an aisle and there is a person with their cart DIRECTLY in the middle of the aisle while they are looking for their product? What happens if they don't respond to you saying "excuse me"? Do you carry around tomato juice to "spill" on them while you have to wiggle your way around them? do you knock them over and pretend it was an accident? Or are you SOOOO important that nobody would dare block your way or inconvenience you in any way when you're at home in your every day life?

Are you looking for a reason as to why Carnival won't be as good as the other lines you've been on? What exactly is your point in dwelling on it?

IF, by some miracle you notice that some teenagers are blocking YOUR staircase (because apparently you own all the staircases you choose to use and get to dictate what other people are allowed to do on said staircases) and they DON'T respond to you asking them nicely to move will your entire cruise be ruined. IF you have to be inconvenienced to go around or take the elevator will the rest of your cruise be in shambles? What if it happens on the first day of your cruise? Will you use your vacation guarantee to leave and go home at the first port because of all the "inconsiderate behavior" of your fellow Pax? Why exactly do you have more right to those stairs than they do? Why was the fare you paid to get on the ship more important than theirs. It's their vacation and if they feel the most comfortable place for them to experience their vacation is sitting on YOUR stairs, then what authority do you have to command them to move. YES, stairs are typically designed for ascending or descending to different levels of a structure, but they are also conveniently designed with wide enough steps to accomodate a sitting person. You seem very entitled to me and not grateful for the fact that the circumstances in your life have allowed you to take a cruise vacation.

What do you do at the grocery store when you want to go up an aisle and there is a person with their cart DIRECTLY in the middle of the aisle while they are looking for their product? What happens if they don't respond to you saying "excuse me"? Do you carry around tomato juice to "spill" on them while you have to wiggle your way around them? do you knock them over and pretend it was an accident? Or are you SOOOO important that nobody would dare block your way or inconvenience you in any way when you're at home in your every day life?

I am sorry, but why would the supposedly loitering stair people have the right of way? Stairs are not for hanging out, they are for passage and in case of an emergency the only way up or down. There are more than enough lounges and out of the way places for these kids to hang. The stairs are not one of them, and the OP's proper use of them does supersede those sitting there...

Sorry I don't get it... and again I will preface this with I have never seen it happening..

The only case of stair locking I have come across has been during a VERY busy time in the lobby where a large family group was having photos taken ON THE FLIPPING stairs! They blocked the stairs for at least five minutes and people were NOT please at having to wait. This was all happening at 6pm, right when everyone is trying to get to the dining rooms. No, they couldn't wait until later, they had to do it now. They did not even recognize that there was quite a number of people waiting to go up to the next level...

I am sorry, but why would the supposedly loitering stair people have the right of way? Stairs are not for hanging out, they are for passage and in case of an emergency the only way up or down. There are more than enough lounges and out of the way places for these kids to hang. The stairs are not one of them, and the OP's proper use of them does supersede those sitting there...

Sorry I don't get it... and again I will preface this with I have never seen it happening..

I don't really think they do have the right of way and I would be upset for having to go around too, but I'm illustrating his sense of entitlement to THOSE stairs. I don't the think the OP's needs or desires supercedes ANYONE elses. The fact that he thinks he has more right to the stairs makes him seem like an ungrateful entitled jerk.

You really don't want to know what I do:D

The only case of stair locking I have come across has been during a VERY busy time in the lobby where a large family group was having photos taken ON THE FLIPPING stairs!

I'm certainly guilty of that. :o

The lightbulb goes on for that PHOTO OP!

But I wouldn't take 5 minutes to get it.

Ask twice? Heck, forget about that! How bout just a swift punch in the face. If that doesn't work, go for the groin.

Myself, I am with the OP... i would ask twice politely (loud the second time) and if the group did not move, I would GO THROUGH - I might not aim to step on a hand, but if a hand got stepped on, I would be lying if I said I wouldn't chuckle about it.

I'm not sure I do. LOL

Typically, if they haven't heard me say excuse me, or ignore me, I will push their cart out of my way and proceed.

You're too kind.

If you're in the juice aisle, grab a 32oz bottle of Campbells Tomato juice and throw it at their feet.

The Sacamento 46oz can won't break, but could make a loud noise and startle them. At the same time, it could dent. So, pick it up and take it to the courtesy desk for a mark down.

You're too kind.

If you're in the juice aisle, grab a 32oz bottle of Campbells Tomato juice and throw it at their feet.

The Sacamento 46oz can won't break, but could make a loud noise and startle them. At the same time, it could dent. So, pick it up and take it to the courtesy desk for a mark down.

Well, if you can't tell by the nickname of Sassy, "too kind" isn't something I'm called all that often.

LOL I DO like the idea of throwing the CAN at their feet. It's a win-win. They move their butts out of my way AND I get discount.

I don't really think they do have the right of way and I would be upset for having to go around too, but I'm illustrating his sense of entitlement to THOSE stairs. I don't the think the OP's needs or desires supercedes ANYONE elses. The fact that he thinks he has more right to the stairs makes him seem like an ungrateful entitled jerk.

But he does have more of a right to use them than those sitting.. that's what they are for..Forget whatever it is we perceive of his personality.. he should not have to be inconvenienced due to a bunch of wise butts.. :)

I'm certainly guilty of that. :o

The lightbulb goes on for that PHOTO OP!

But I wouldn't take 5 minutes to get it.

The ship's photographer sometimes uses the stairs in the main lobby for group shots.

thats why there are 2 staircases there. :p

Ask twice? Heck, forget about that! How bout just a swift punch in the face. If that doesn't work, go for the groin.

Dingo in need of a little cruise to work out that pent up aggressiveness?

I'm willing to share the Captain............... Morgan that is;):p

Cheers, Carole

But he does have more of a right to use them than those sitting.. that's what they are for..Forget whatever it is we perceive of his personality.. he should not have to be inconvenienced due to a bunch of wise butts.. :)

I don't think he does have more right. I think he has the right to get to the place he wants to be. But if the way he wants to go is blocked, I don't think he has the right to threaten to step on peoples hands and cause physical harm. He has the right to ask them to move. He has the right to call security and ask them to remove the people from the stairs. He has the right to go around them or choose a different way up. He has openly said he won't do anything except say excuse me 2X and then start stepping on hands. I think that's more inconsiderate than a bunch of teenagers sitting around talking amongst themselves on the stairs. I think I suppose we will agree to disagree.

Mostly I'm curious as to what would happen to the rest of his cruise, should he be inconvenienced.

I don't think he does have more right. I think he has the right to get to the place he wants to be. But if the way he wants to go is blocked, I don't think he has the right to threaten to step on peoples hands and cause physical harm. He has the right to ask them to move. He has the right to call security and ask them to remove the people from the stairs. He has the right to go around them or choose a different way up. He has openly said he won't do anything except say excuse me 2X and then start stepping on hands. I think that's more inconsiderate than a bunch of teenagers sitting around talking amongst themselves on the stairs. I think I suppose we will agree to disagree.

Mostly I'm curious as to what would happen to the rest of his cruise, should he be inconvenienced.

Well where does his right end ?? Do those hangin on the stairs have more right to do so?

I really doubt this happens, but let's say it does... I say excuse me twice and nicely and they don't move? I am walking on hands too- because quite honestly.. any group of teens hanging on stairs and not responding politely, are looking for trouble... it's rude

i've read about groups of people (often teenagers) sitting on the stairs, blocking anyone from going up or down.

Any clever ideas to handle this?

I don't like "call ship security" as (a) i don't have time to wait for security to arrive when all i want to do is get from the pool to the deck above and (b) it certainly doesn't prevent the same people from doing it again, ad infinitum.

"take the other stairs" is not an option for me either. I see no need to walk all the way around the pool just because a group of people thinks it's okay to block one set of stairs.

My own inclination is to say "excuse me" twice (the second time a little louder in case the noise from the pool prevented them from hearing). If still no results, i step on the nearest hand, clearing a path for me to walk up the stairs.

I realize that can result in an altercation (or maybe even a lawsuit) but honestly i'm at a loss as to how one should deal with such inconsiderate behavior.

A poster mentioned carrying a glass of tomato juice while in the buffet line, so someone who rudely jostles you to cut in line will get tomato juice on them. So...anything clever that will work on the stair-blocking problem?

crop dust

I really doubt this happens, but let's say it does... I say excuse me twice and nicely and they don't move? I am walking on hands too

Toni...

Toni...

You only said excuse me once on the Victory before stepping on MY hands. :eek::(

AND I WAS STANDING!!!!!!!!

Ha! Just being silly! Snow is makin me kooky!

Honestly, I have never been witness of these gangs. Do they wear their "colors" to identify which gang they are loyal to? Wear red if you claim port side stairs, blue for starboard.

Has anyone seen Tupac?

Dingo in need of a little cruise to work out that pent up aggressiveness?

I'm willing to share the Captain............... Morgan that is;):p

Cheers, Carole

Archived