Best port to buy liquor

kr8z

in the Mexican Riviera. That board moves very slowly as all posts have to be approved prior to being published. We are sailing on Splendor and hitting Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. I'd like to know which one of these places has the cheapest booze to bring back home. hopefully we'll move back east eventually and can sail from FL again. St Marten has excellent prices.

Any opinions on this? Thanks so much!

I bought mine at the Sam's Club in Puerto Vallarta, the Walmart right next door has good prices also, although slightly higher. Kahlua was roughly $8 American.

I have a Costco membership. Hmm... is Sams right by the pier? I wonder if it would be worth grabbing a membership to there again.

The ships dock in the hotel zone, a few miles north of downtown. Sam's Club and Walmart are nearby, like two blocks. The Costco is downtown but if you are planning to go downtown anyway just stop there before heading back. Otherwise Walmart is probably more convenient.

Yes I might buy some liquor in Mexico but...

It just doesn't seem like you can buy much...one bottle per person? Or can you buy a couple of bottles per person and pay taxes on the extra one?

You can bring back more than the duty free limit but you are liable for duty on the overage. It's only about $4.00 per liter so for most things it is still a good value. Make sure you declare on your customs form what you are bringing back. Failure to do so can result in confiscation. It's 50/50 anyway if you will be charged duty.

Coming back in at Long Beach the Customs Agent told me I was allowed 2 bottles. I had 6 and had told him so, 3 Kahlua and 3 Tequila. He told me since I didn't have much he was allowing it toward my duty free limit. I check on US customs website and it is up to their discretion to do this. However, if you are over the duty free limit, no go.

and no go if you lie about how much you have.

Archived