Reliable cabs and suggestions for Newark Airport

fat lass

Hi

I have emailed Royal Caribbean regarding left luggage facilities when we disembark from our cruise in March at Cape Liberty.

They have informed me that is a facility at the airport with Continental Airlines.

Suggestions please, for the cheapest and most reliable cab to take us to the airport and also any tips on how to fill our time once we get there and leave our luggage. We will have about 5 hours to kill. We do not really fancy Jersey Gardens

Thank you:):):):)

Hi

I have emailed Royal Caribbean regarding left luggage facilities when we disembark from our cruise in March at Cape Liberty.

They have informed me that is a facility at the airport with Continental Airlines.

Suggestions please, for the cheapest and most reliable cab to take us to the airport and also any tips on how to fill our time once we get there and leave our luggage. We will have about 5 hours to kill. We do not really fancy Jersey Gardens

RCCL misinformed you UNLESS you are flying Continental.

Luggage storage with NBS (Newark Baggage Service) is ONLY available to Continental passengers and even that is IFFY. The luggage MUST be stored offsite per TSA/airport rules and the offsite facility only picks up a few times per day. So unless you are a top tier FF, flying first class or other VIP on CONTINENTAL, do not count on luggage storage facilities.

If you are NOT flying Continental, you MAY be able to leave your luggage at one of the major airport hotels with the concierge-Marriott or Sheraton-for a nice tip.

With only 5 hours, you really don't have a lot of options. Not a lot to see around the airport other than the malls. Going to Liberty State Park is an option, but you really will be close on time. And you would have to take 3 taxi's by my calculations-one from the port to the airport to drop off luggage, one to Liberty State Park, then one to return to the airport. About $100-120 in taxi fares/shuttles. IMHO, not worth it for 5 hours. Taxis in NJ are NOT cheap.

You COULD rent a car-luggage storage and transportation all in one, which would cut the cost considerably, especially if you used Priceline BIDDING for your car. Good luck!!!

? Do you mean the ship sails 5 hours after you land? If so you have NO time to do anything but get to the ship. You have to be on the line to check in no later than 2 hours before the ships sails. So after you pick up your luggage....go outside take a cab which will be about $40 to the port plus tolls and tip.... The best thing you can do is get on the ship eat and get ready to cruise IMO....

enjoy your cruise...

? Do you mean the ship sails 5 hours after you land? If so you have NO time to do anything but get to the ship. You have to be on the line to check in no later than 2 hours before the ships sails. So after you pick up your luggage....go outside take a cab which will be about $40 to the port plus tolls and tip.... The best thing you can do is get on the ship eat and get ready to cruise IMO....

enjoy your cruise...

5 hours from disembarkation to their flight home. Not a lot of time to do anything interesting given the cost of taxis and the constraints of luggage.

5 hours from disembarkation to their flight home. Not a lot of time to do anything interesting given the cost of taxis and the constraints of luggage.

you still need to get to the airport 2 hours early. Given the normal hassle at getting off....which unless you carry you own luggage can be anywhere from a half hour to 3 hours, all they will have time for is to catch a cab and get to the airport....assuming EWR....

can't you still check in the luggage on the same day almost at any time? its the hand luggage that they will have to carry- no place to leave it at the airport...

you still need to get to the airport 2 hours early. Given the normal hassle at getting off....which unless you carry you own luggage can be anywhere from a half hour to 3 hours, all they will have time for is to catch a cab and get to the airport....assuming EWR....

can't you still check in the luggage on the same day almost at any time? its the hand luggage that they will have to carry- no place to leave it at the airport...

I took the OP to mean 5 hours between off the ship and time to check in at the airport. If they only have 5 hours TOTAL between off the ship and flight departure, they can go nowhere EXCEPt the airport.

As for checking in luggage early, ain't going to happen in this day and age. Most airlines only allow luggage check in 4 hours pre flight (some 3). Sure can't drop off your luggage in the morning for an evening flight-no space, too much confusion and lost luggage and of course, the always touted security concerns. I currently sit in Heathrow with all my luggage in the Admirals Club waiting from my Gulf Air flight.

Even though AA/Gulf Air have codeshare flights and are airline partners, AA absolutely WOULD NOT check my luggage all the way through to Kuwait City due to the length of the layover (11 hours), the Bahrain stop and the need for a Kuwait visa. And Gulf Air, even with my high AA FF status and a business class ticket, would not take my luggage when I first got off the plane this morning. So I sit, luggage and all-thank goodness this AC is very nice. About 2 more hours until the flight leaves. I am getting tired and cranky.

Hi Everyone

We disembark at 9.30 a.m. at the latest apparently (as emailed by Royal Caribbean) and our flight from EWR departs at 7.00 p.m.

Although it will be very boring to wait at the airport, I gather from your replies that it would be too risky to attempt to do anything else. Also, although Royal Caribbean informed me that, as I was flying with Continental, there would be a left-luggage facility, this looks a no-no too.

Many thanks, once again for taking the time to help me.

Kind regards:):):):):)

Hi

Hi there,

When in March are you cruising? we are cruising 7th march booked our flight through RC and they gave us dayroom at the Rennaisnce airport hotel.

We also have about five hours to spare thinking of just spending it in the hotel.

Hi Everyone

We disembark at 9.30 a.m. at the latest apparently (as emailed by Royal Caribbean) and our flight from EWR departs at 7.00 p.m.

Although it will be very boring to wait at the airport, I gather from your replies that it would be too risky to attempt to do anything else. Also, although Royal Caribbean informed me that, as I was flying with Continental, there would be a left-luggage facility, this looks a no-no too.

Many thanks, once again for taking the time to help me.

Kind regards:):):):):)

Since you are flying Continental, you can certainly TRY to check your luggage. The service has been sporadic in its availability but you may hit it at the right time.

You can also get a day pass to the Continental President's Club for a more pleasant wait-$45.00pp

You could book an airport hotel-use Priceline BIDDING and you can probably get a hotel room for under $75.00.

And if you REALLY want to go someplace to sightsee, you could take a taxi to Liberty State Park or into Hoboken/Jersey City (lots of kitchy little shops, a couple of art galleries, a look inside the old Lackawanna terminal + lunch at the Hyatt on the Hudson-fantastic views of NYC). Will cost about $80 for transport to and from the airport. Enjoy!!!

Hi Sandian

We are on the same cruise, but have three nights in Manhattan pre-cruise. We did not book directly with Royal Caribbean; so do not have the room facility.

Have an amazing trip:):)

Hi Greatam

Thank you so much for all the information. We have decided to go straight to the airport, find out if we can leave our luggage and then either go to Hoboken (Which I really would like to see) or pay for the comfort of the lounge.

Kinds regards and thank you again

:):)

Archived