Bars right off the ship in Progresso? And a question about Carnival Dzibilchaltun.

car7brg

We are in Progresso with the Triumph at the end of June. I know there are little set up shops right off the ship and you take a bus to the end of the pier. This is where you start the excursions, correct? Are there little bars or a beach area right at the pier or do you have to take a bus to town? We want to do the Dzibilchaltun ruins with Carnival but maybe have a drink before we jump back on the ship. Thanks! If anyone has done this excursion, is it in the morning or early afternoon? If the museums are not open on Mondays, is it shorter?

They have a couple of open air beach bars on the pier. Very nice to have one last cold one prior to boarding. I agree with hdawson about checking out Autoprogreso for your tour. Dependable, half the price you would pay Carnival and they will get you back to the ship in plenty of time.

• 3 weeks later...

The open air bars on the pier aren't really beach bars cause you're not actually on the beach yet but they are bars and great for getting that last minute beer before boarding the ship. When you get off of the free shuttle that takes you to town there are a couple of convenience stores across from the flea market that sell beer,chips snacks etc. Here is a map I made that might help help.

bprogreso.jpg

We are in Progresso with the Triumph at the end of June. I know there are little set up shops right off the ship and you take a bus to the end of the pier. Are there little bars or a beach area right at the pier or do you have to take a bus to town?

There are a few bars at the pier.

pro.jpg

Thank you for the map. That makes it very clear as we've never been to this port before. We're lookoing at doing a tour through Autoprogresso, so I take it that the tours are picked up at the flea market? Does the free shuttle run fairly close together on time? Is it walkable distance to the beach from the flea market and if so, now far is it? I'm trying to figure out if we do a tour that is from 10:15 - about 2:00 and the ship departs at 4:00 if there's time to do anything other than the flea market area before and/or after it.

I've never done a tour in Progreso but I would think that they would pick you up right outside the pier area where the shuttle bus picks up passengers. The free shuttle bus is also autoprogreso.

It is walking distance from the flea market to the beach. I would suggest walking to the beach and getting the $10 massage. It was wonderful.:)

The open air bars on the pier aren't really beach bars cause you're not actually on the beach yet but they are bars and great for getting that last minute beer before boarding the ship. When you get off of the free shuttle that takes you to town there are a couple of convenience stores across from the flea market that sell beer,chips snacks etc. Here is a map I made that might help help.

bprogreso.jpg

Great map: It should be made a sticky for all the first time visitors to Progreso.

Thanks for the ideas and the map. I really don't want to spend that much time at the ruins, since the museum is closed. At least there are a few things to do close to the ship. The map is great! I was wondering if anyone ever does the tour on their own, just grabs a taxi and tours on own so you don't have to wait on a group. I don't want to spend 3 hours there is avoidable.

Archived