Response from Mr. Goldstein's office re: Explorer 1/14/10 Embarkation

chopper825

I have got to ring in here. I was on the same sailing as the original poster. What I was told from some of the staff onboard was that RCL was not happy with some of the welds that had been done on the hull during dry-dock. Weather was not an issue (they did over 26 knots on the way back). So the problem WAS somebody's fault (the dry-dock company). However, if the welds were suspect then I'm sure everybody that had to wait for Explorer's arrival would be glad that their safety was not jeopardized in order to sail at a certain time. I'm not a cheeleader but better to take precautions than to gamble with a much bigger problem.

I'd be skeptical that Mr. Goldstein was the individual that replied to my emails that I sent him about the great experiences I had on my GOS and NOS cruises.

I had gone on about how great the staff were and mentioned specific names in the various venues, Portofinos, etc. I know for a fact that this was passed on to the individuals as I saw the staff on subsequent cruises on NOS. The crew were very appreciative. I also received a phone call from "a staff member from Mr Goldstein's office" but I don't recall the name. So, the emails/letters do get read and responded to. By Adam, well, someone responded under his email but that very well could have been one of the many staff members. Bottom line though is that those emails do get passed on and addressed/followed up on. At least the good ones that I sent!

Well, right. I wouldn't expect that Mr. Goldstein himself took the time out to send something himself. Maybe because I worked somewhere where we signed someone's name with an autopen--and that was common practice all around--I don't expect that the head honcho is reading my e-mails. If I were a stockholder, I'd expect that he would delegate to people. I hope that SOMEONE is reading the mail and responding to it. I just don't expect that it's the CEO.

I have got to ring in here. I was on the same sailing as the original poster. What I was told from some of the staff onboard was that RCL was not happy with some of the welds that had been done on the hull during dry-dock. Weather was not an issue (they did over 26 knots on the way back). So the problem WAS somebody's fault (the dry-dock company). However, if the welds were suspect then I'm sure everybody that had to wait for Explorer's arrival would be glad that their safety was not jeopardized in order to sail at a certain time. I'm not a cheeleader but better to take precautions than to gamble with a much bigger problem.

If this is indeed what happened, then yes RCI should take the blame. I thought that I did read somewhere that there were some delays during the dry-dock. This seems to always happen during dry-dock. RCI, knowing that, should allow a few extra days for this sort of thing when scheduling a dry-dock.

If this is indeed what happened, then yes RCI should take the blame. I thought that I did read somewhere that there were some delays during the dry-dock. This seems to always happen during dry-dock. RCI, knowing that, should allow a few extra days for this sort of thing when scheduling a dry-dock.

Right. Something like that is foreseeable and predictable, particularly if it's happened before. Weather, while obviously variable, is not something that is "foreseeable." If that's the case--I don't fully know what happened either--then there should be some recompense or something.

If this is true than Mr. Goldstein's office out and out lied to me to avoid taking any further responsibility. Actually makes me think even less of them.

If this was directed at me... how do I know what?

As I stated in my post I wasn´t there, so I don´t know a thing about what happened and in my post I didn´t even say I know something but it was - as I thought - quite clearly a post of my thoughts aka opinion.

I just went by the OP´s statement of saying they didn´t try to get dinner after the Muster drill, but you are right I don´t know if that was the truth:rolleyes:

Again I wasn´t there and therefore don´t know but I have a hard time believing (opinion!) that after Muster Drill all eating venues onboard kept being closed.

You have to keep in mind that muster was not over until well after 8:00. We had barely been to our rooms yet and still did not unpack. We ate pizza before muster because we were starving so we were not that hungry after muster and unpacking took precedence. So I don't know what was open at that point. There were no announcements made and based on what went on it would have been helpful to know our options regardless.

If this is true than Mr. Goldstein's office out and out lied to me to avoid taking any further responsibility. Actually makes me think even less of them.

Why make the call and not address the OP's questions? Sounds like RCI was trying to distract from the real reason of the delay.

MARAPRINCE

Archived