Response from Mr. Goldstein's office re: Explorer 1/14/10 Embarkation

chopper825

I think one of the complaints he had was not being allowed into dinner! I too would be upset about that. There is no reason, under such circumstances, that dinner cannot be extended by 30 min or so.

A drink coupon would have done a lot in terms of acknowledging this person's complaint and would have cost RCI nothing. From a customer service point of view, businesses are not always judged by the crisis that happens, but rather how they respond to it.

Another issue that the OP had was a phone call from RCI regarding his complaint when they didn't appear to have even read his complaint. I too had a similar experience with this. If you aren't going to take the time to read my complaint, then don't bother calling.

My reference to the airlines is that many people here seem to give RCI a pass on everything because of all the little disclaimers. My point is that I'm sure many of these same folks would not give the airlines the same pass for weather etc. even though it is in their disclaimers.

I'm not saying RCI owes anyone anything in this case. However, if I were in charge, I would have made some kind of gesture to show appreciation for everyone's patience and cooperation with the delay. Not everyone will ask for it, but those who do, could have been given a drink coupon or something similar.

Was food available in the terminal??? This would have been another nice, and easy thing to do.

I think one of the complaints he had was not being allowed into dinner! I too would be upset about that. There is no reason, under such circumstances, that dinner cannot be extended by 30 min or so.

Was food available in the terminal??? This would have been another nice, and easy thing to do.

No, I would not have been happy about not getting a regular dinner. Especially this one as the prime rib was one of the best I've ever had on a ship. (sorry OP). Don't know why the dining room could not have opened up after muster at 7.

Food was available in all the other usual places

I know I've gotten flamed for this before, but really, do you expect that Mr. Goldstein is reading every letter and e-mail that is addressed to him? Do you think that when you write to your Senator, he/she reads it? There are expectations and then there are realistic expectations. It sounds like this cruise was a nightmare, but these things happen. I had a horrible flight on my way home from my Majesty cruise. I sent a letter to the CEO of Delta, but did I expect anything more than a canned response? Of course not! I know it never got to him. I'm not a RCI cheerleader, but it's amazing to me what people expect.

Yes actually, I did expect that someone in his office should actually have read the letter. Certainly not him. But if someone takes the time to write a letter than they are either really upset or really happy and it should be read. And yes, I would hope that they would respond to what my letter said and not everybody elses.

And to me it's amazing that you would think that's a lot to expect.

A drink coupon would have done a lot in terms of acknowledging this person's complaint and would have cost RCI nothing. From a customer service point of view, businesses are not always judged by the crisis that happens, but rather how they respond to it.

Another issue that the OP had was a phone call from RCI regarding his complaint when they didn't appear to have even read his complaint. I too had a similar experience with this. If you aren't going to take the time to read my complaint, then don't bother calling.

My reference to the airlines is that many people here seem to give RCI a pass on everything because of all the little disclaimers. My point is that I'm sure many of these same folks would not give the airlines the same pass for weather etc. even though it is in their disclaimers.

I'm not saying RCI owes anyone anything in this case. However, if I were in charge, I would have made some kind of gesture to show appreciation for everyone's patience and cooperation with the delay. Not everyone will ask for it, but those who do, could have been given a drink coupon or something similar.

Thank you. Finally someone who gets it. You may have even said it better than I did.

There were cookies and coffee in the terminal.

Thanks again for listening.

We also had a bad experience embarking on the EOS in Bayonee last April. The problem was RCCL transfer from hotel to port. We were picked up at 11:00 am and at the port about 11:30, then sat on the bus in a parking lot until 2:30 when he finally drove around to the terminal. Driver got off bus and these longshoremen got on bus telling us how much tip we should give them to unload our luggage. The EOS was departing at 4:00 and we were still on the bus. Finally got thru terminal which was quick because everyone was already on the ship. We went to the WJ after getting on, got our food, sat down and then were told we had to leave because of the muster drill. They were closing the WJ. Went to muster and then to room and ordered room service while we watched sailaway. Bad experience but wonderful cruise. The only thing I blame RCCL is their ship transfers. Disembarkation was wonderful.

I know "stuff happens" and it's how you handle that "stuff" that makes the difference. My "inflated" expectation would have been that I should have at least been able to have dinner that day and not be turned away from the dining room at almost 8:00 at night when we finally did board. I am pretty sure you would expect at least dinner. Actually a drink at dinner the next night would have been enough of a gesture at that time.

And by the way, Princess has screwed up but was professional enough to compensate us in a fair and responsible manner and accept responsibility for their error.

So, why not ask them to address your issues when they called? Did they refuse to discuss them? When you went to the dining room, did you try to sit down at early seating or did you ask if you could go late for that one night? Did you ask to be seated in MTD for one night?

If you send a reasonable, calm letter, you usually receive the same in response. If you send a demanding letter, you are going to have RCI on the defensive to begin.

So, why not ask them to address your issues when they called? Did they refuse to discuss them? When you went to the dining room, did you try to sit down at early seating or did you ask if you could go late for that one night? Did you ask to be seated in MTD for one night?

If you send a reasonable, calm letter, you usually receive the same in response. If you send a demanding letter, you are going to have RCI on the defensive to begin.

It was open seating because of the mess.

Yes actually, I did expect that someone in his office should actually have read the letter. Certainly not him. But if someone takes the time to write a letter than they are either really upset or really happy and it should be read. And yes, I would hope that they would respond to what my letter said and not everybody elses.

And to me it's amazing that you would think that's a lot to expect.

Maybe I'm just cynical from experience, but I know that with a company that big, it's just not going to happen. Did you follow what's been happening with Kevin Smith and Southwest? He only got things changed because he's famous. If that had happened to me, they would not have cared. I know that these big companies don't have the resources to deal with the little folks. I don't think it's right, at all, but it's reality.

I couldn't agree more. What ever happened to customer service? In most cases, it takes so little to make a customer who feels they have been wronged, feel good again. An apology and dinner where he could sit down and be waited on, is basically all he is looking for. Shouldn't RCI serve the man a dinner he's allready paid for? You people are riddiculous.

I am getting ready to go on my first cruise (Serenade of the Seas) this weekend!!!! , :D and after reading this thread, I am going to be completely terrified to badmouth anything on the cruise.

If I see someone forgot to lift the seat on the toilet in a public restroom and I tell a ship worker there is pee on the seat, am I going to get blasted by pro RCI cruisers??? :eek:

They guy had a valid complaint. You pay a lot of $$ for cruises. If they were good enough to call him back, they could have went the little step further and addressed the problem that he was actually complaining about... People remember the bad things a lot longer than they remember the good things.....

My experience with this was when I tried to explain or address my original complaints, the person on the phone would revert back to a canned response that had little to do with my individual complaints. I tried over and over to get him to respond to my complaints before I finally gave up after seeing it was going nowhere.

I am getting ready to go on my first cruise (Serenade of the Seas) this weekend!!!! , :D and after reading this thread, I am going to be completely terrified to badmouth anything on the cruise.

If I see someone forgot to lift the seat on the toilet in a public restroom and I tell a ship worker there is pee on the seat, am I going to get blasted by pro RCI cruisers??? :eek:

They guy had a valid complaint. You pay a lot of $$ for cruises. If they were good enough to call him back, they could have went the little step further and addressed the problem that he was actually complaining about... People remember the bad things a lot longer than they remember the good things.....

There is nothing wrong with voicing your displeasure if you have issues on your cruise. The Explorer was late coming back from a 10 day drydock because of weather. People were advised that boarding wouldn't begin until 3pm but still got to the pier early. The seapasses are printed on the ship so there was no way to check any early people in completely if the sea passes weren't there yet so they got a number and had to wait. Waiting 5 hrs was ridiculous but it happened.

I still don't see how the OP was denied dinner if it was open seating due to the late departure. If they had to "calm themselves down" that could explain why they were turned away.

Running around demanding compensation is going to get you no where. I well written, calm letter will go a long way not that I think the OP is entitled to compensation anyway.

If they aren't happy, they should move on to Princess or whichever other cruiseline makes them happy. Life is too short to get this worked up over a cruiseline not offering a free drink.

There is nothing wrong with voicing your displeasure if you have issues on your cruise. The Explorer was late coming back from a 10 day drydock because of weather. People were advised that boarding wouldn't begin until 3pm but still got to the pier early. The seapasses are printed on the ship so there was no way to check any early people in completely if the sea passes weren't there yet so they got a number and had to wait. Waiting 5 hrs was ridiculous but it happened.

I still don't see how the OP was denied dinner if it was open seating due to the late departure. If they had to "calm themselves down" that could explain why they were turned away.

Running around demanding compensation is going to get you no where. I well written, calm letter will go a long way not that I think the OP is entitled to compensation anyway.

If they aren't happy, they should move on to Princess or whichever other cruiseline makes them happy. Life is too short to get this worked up over a cruiseline not offering a free drink.

Nicely stated.

You can certainly express any opinion you ahve about your cruise. However, the op has been all over the forums stating that something is owed to them. The ship was late, and yes, people were told not to arrive until after 3, if you arrived earlier then you knew you had to wait.

I find it hard to believe food could not be found. If you had the early seating dinner and did not arrive until 8 i'm sure you would be denied, only because this would hold up the late sitting dinner. I full understand that. Should sandwiches have been served in the terminal - yes, it would have been nice. But they weren't! Time to move on. I certainly would not let the boarding procedure ruin my entire trip. And I certainly would not spend the next month worrying about what is owed to me due to conditions beyond control.

What should be happening?? - enjoy the fact that you were able to take a vacation. There are many that can not afford it or can not for a variety of other reasons. We should be lucky that we are able to cruise!!!

Remember the good things and try to let the bad things go, life will be much happier!!

Chopper,

I have also written a letter to Royal Caribbean about a problem on our last cruise where we didn't get an apology and where they didn't follow through on compensation promised on board. I have addressed it to Alan Goldstein, but i'm not sure of an address to send it to. What address did you send your letter to?? I really would prefer to not send it by email. This was my first RCL cruise also (Princess previously), and I would really like to put the problems behind us and give them another try, but I want their management to know of the problem with had.

Thanks.

Umm- his name is Adam, not Alan.

Try agoldstein@rccl.com that will reach his office.

Why does everyone think this is all about missing dinner? We boarded at 7:30 and went immediately to the dining room. There were many very angry people there ahead of us already arguing with the staff because they would not seat them. We were told they were closing due to the muster drill. We ran to the Windjammer only to be turned away from there also. Now we know they have to do muster, we are not idiots. Then we were told to go to our rooms to see where our muster drill station was, which we did. Could we have ordered room service after muster drill. I don't know, I thought it was not available on your first day.

Most of you just don't get this. This is the point. We went to the port later as directed. RCI knew the ship was going to be late and still was not equipped to handle the amount of people there in a fair and expeditious manner. We waited 5 1/2 hours to board as we watched people who just arrived board hours before us. How would you feel if you had been already waiting for hours with #54 and they went from calling numbers in the low 20's to numbers in the 60's. Don't tell me any of you would not be furious. At one point a riot almost erupted. Not only were we treated unfairly, but we did not get what we paid for.

READ THE REVIEWS OF THIS CRUISE in the review section. Many many people were livid.

As some on these RCI boards will attest, I am not a RCI loyalist. But in this case I cannot figure out what they did wrong.

Compensation, a little gesture. For what? Even the OP acknowledges the fact that the ship was delayed by the weather. What exactly is it that he or you expect RCI do do. There had to be another 2,500+ people that day going through the same process. Again, what exactly is it you would have had them do to alleviate the problem . . . . . . which was 2500+ people being delayed boarding the ship because of weather related problems.

In my opinion, his only possible gripe was his assumption that some who arrived later boarded earlier. IF that was the case, it was wrong, but doesn't he even bear a little responsibility for that happening, i.e. . . . "excuse me, sir/madam, we were here ahead of these folks", might have alleviated that problem.

It is obvious from your post that you are totally unaware of what happened that day. I am not going to go through the whole thing again. There was no "assumption" of people boarding before us. It happened. Hundreds of them. They were totally ill equipped to handle a situation that they were aware of well in advance which resulted in us and many many other people watching as they boarded the new arrivals first after we had been waiting for hours and hours. Read the reviews in the review section.

Why does everyone think this is all about missing dinner? We boarded at 7:30 and went immediately to the dining room. There were many very angry people there ahead of us already arguing with the staff because they would not seat them. We were told they were closing due to the muster drill. We ran to the Windjammer only to be turned away from there also. Now we know they have to do muster, we are not idiots. Then we were told to go to our rooms to see where our muster drill station was, which we did. Could we have ordered room service after muster drill. I don't know, I thought it was not available on your first day.

Most of you just don't get this. This is the point. We went to the port later as directed. RCI knew the ship was going to be late and still was not equipped to handle the amount of people there in a fair and expeditious manner. We waited 5 1/2 hours to board as we watched people who just arrived board hours before us. How would you feel if you had been already waiting for hours with #54 and they went from calling numbers in the low 20's to numbers in the 60's. Don't tell me any of you would not be furious. At one point a riot almost erupted. Not only were we treated unfairly, but we did not get what we paid for.

READ THE REVIEWS OF THIS CRUISE in the review section. Many many people were livid.

Chopper...I emphathize with your situation.

But now that I read this, I think RCI does owe you something. You missed a paid lunch and dinner. Just because the ship arrives late for whatever reason, including weather, does not relieve them of their obligation to provide what is paid for by their customers.

If you got told to go to your cabin to see where your muster station was, that wasn't very good info. Your muster station is on your sea pass card.

As far as those later arrivals boarding before you, I explained why in post 26. Why won't you accept that explanation?

I waited 5 1/2 hrs too, but I let it go long ago because when I got home I realized that I just had a great vacation.

Actually I did send a reasonable and calm letter that also stated all the things we liked about the cruise. I could not get a word in edgewise during the call. Whenever I tried to interrupt to explain to him that what he was saying was not what I was upset about, he listened, and when I was done he just continued with whatever he was saying. I did this twice and then gave up. It was obvious to me that he really did not care what I had to say. It was his job to make this call and get it over with. RCI was not defensive at all. They just really didn't care what I had to say.

We had MTD but they actually closed the dining room and Windjammer. We had pizza from the cafe as it was our only option at the time and we were starving at that point. They didn't even have sandwiches left.

If you got told to go to your cabin to see where your muster station was, that wasn't very good info. Your muster station is on your sea pass card.

As far as those later arrivals boarding before you, I explained why in post 26. Why won't you accept that explanation?

I waited 5 1/2 hrs too, but I let it go long ago because when I got home I realized that I just had a great vacation.

If you waited 5 1/2 hours what time did you board the ship? You must have gotten to the port much earlier than we were directed to by RCI. You already said that you had dinner. So what value did you lose by boarding late. None really. Would you feel differently if you boarded so late that you could not have dinner in the dining room? I wonder.

I know what happened and I know why. It never should have happened that way. I have let it go. Now I am just defending my own view point to all of you RCI cheerleaders.

Why didn't RCI extend the dining hours if the ship was delayed 5-1/2 hours? That would have alleviated any problems with eating a full dinner the first night.

MARAPRINCE

The ship was not delayed 5 hours. It was there at 2:00. It was just handled so poorly and was so disorganized that it took 5 1/2 hours to board.

Chopper, the regulars come here only to praise RCCL, and it is that attitude that perpetuates poor customer service and does the most DIS-SERVICE to their favorite cruise line.

You had every right to expect that a call about YOUR letter should, at the least, be familiar with its contents. You don't expect your car dealership to phone apologizing for gas mileage when you are telling them the brakes didn't work. That is the most careless type of arrogance!

Secondly, if "these things happen"...RCCL should be prepared with a PLAN to address these matters...including making sure you had the dinner YOU PAID FOR. If, by YOUR mistake, you miss the ship...you are left to ameliorate the situation...but some here think a huge cruise line has no obligation AT ALL in regard to THEIR mistakes.

How in the world do people become so besotted with a for profit company?

RCCL should have initiated the contact with every CUSTOMER on that cruise. You were not a "house guest" but a paying customer. You are right to be disgusted and disappointed in such shoddy treatment.

Ignore the besotted ones...this is a unfortunate common situation of this Board.

Archived