Do you need fins on snorkeling excursions?

Jaymee287

I'll be on my first cruise in June and I'm a SERIOUS germ-a-fob so I will be purchasing my own snorkeling gear. It won't be TOP of the line but it won't be terribly cheap. I'm thinking 30-40 will be a decent set. But do I really need the fins?

What's your opinion on this. Thanks for the help!

Fins are simply nice for their efficiency in getting you around in the water. While scuba diving, they're a must since you are generally moving around quite a bit and without fins you'll breath harder and use up your air faster.

From a safety standpoint fins are necessary if you get separated from your group and need to get back, or if there are strong currents that you might have to fight. But generally anywhere that a tour is going to take novice snorkelers is going to be quite safe.

Here's an option: Get yourself a set of tight fitting water shoes, which are nice to have anyways around the pool/showers/beaches. Then get a pair of fins from your outfitter that are large enough to accomodate your foot and water shoe.

I'm assuming you used them then. I'm checking into prices on snorkel gear now, do you know a good website?

Do you have a Target nearby? They sell mediocre snorkling gear that's well priced and will work fine for your needs.

I'll be on my first cruise in June and I'm a SERIOUS germ-a-fob so I will be purchasing my own snorkeling gear. It won't be TOP of the line but it won't be terribly cheap. I'm thinking 30-40 will be a decent set. But do I really need the fins?

Fins are critical if you want to safely snorkel in open ocean. Keep in mind that all snorkel excursions provide equipment. Just use their fins, there is no reason to buy them. (You don't have to use their masks and snorkels)

If you are a serious germ-a-phobe then you might to ignore my post as I am with a previous poster and say just use theirs. All the ones I have been on they give you a new tube sealed in plastic and you can either keep and take home as a souvenier or toss it. The mask you can wipe out yourself with lysol wipes and same with the fins (a must as far as I am concerned too) they give you a lot of control and speed. We had 4 people and it would have taken another suitcase just to take our own gear. Have a great time.

Do you have access to a local CostCo? They have a complete snorkel set similar to this for $38.99

Don't forget about CostCo's generous return policy.

Bedford Park

7300 S. Cicero Ave, Bedford Park, Illinois, IL, 60629 (708) 552-9010 Map | Directions

Bloomingdale

505 W. Army Trail Road, Bloomingdale, Illinois, IL, 60108 (630) 351-3059 Map | Directions

Chicago (Lincoln Park)

2746 N. Clybourn Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, IL, 60614-1006 (773) 360-2053 Map | Directions

Glenview

2900 Patriot Blvd, Glenview, Illinois, IL, 60026 (847) 730-1003 Map | Directions

Lake in the Hills

250 N. Randall Rd., Lake in the Hills, Illinois, IL, 60156 (847) 960-9909 Map | Directions

Lake Zurich

680 S. Rand Road, Lake Zurich, Illinois, IL, 60047 (847) 540-3053 Map | Directions

Mount Prospect

999 N. Elmhurst Road, Mount Prospect, Illinois, IL, 60056 (847) 660-2000 Map | Directions

Naperville

1324 S. Route 59, Naperville, Illinois, IL, 60564 (630) 328-2900 Map | Directions

Niles

7311 North Melvina Ave, Niles, Illinois, IL, 60714 (847) 972-3003 Map | Directions

Oak Brook

1901 West 22nd Street, Oak Brook, Illinois, IL, 60523 (630) 928-0235 Map | Directions

Orland Park

9915 W 159th St, Orland Park, Illinois, IL, 60462 (708) 645-5336 Map | Directions

Schaumburg

1375 North Meacham Rd, Schaumburg, Illinois, IL, 60173 (847) 969-0790 Map | Directions

St. Charles

221 S. Randall Rd, St. Charles, Illinois, IL, 60174 (630) 549-2022 Map | Directions

I have had my own snorkeling gear for a number of years, including fins. I found that the fins take up a lot of space in luggage and are cumbersome to put on and then navigate to where you enter the water. I don't even take them with me anymore and I enjoy snorkeling just as well without them.

I love to snorkel. The first two years we went, I wore the dang fins. However, they kill my feet and I am more proficient without them.

My two oldest sons were high school and college swimmers and they love the fins.

So you can snorkel with or without fins. It is a personal choice whether to us them.

Have fun!!

I saw that you can take the lysol wipes or the alcohol wipes, but I we are doing some sort of snorkling at each stop. I would much rather have my own then have to worry about forgetting the wipes!

But also remember that not only will they take up precious packing space, but then you also have to carry them around for the rest of your time, like shopping etc.

We took our own stuff the first time we cruised and it was just a pain to keep up with. THis time we're just taking the mask and snorkle - easy to throw in the beach bag.

We purchase our gear at Academy Sports. My husband loves his fins and I hate mine. We got new ones this year and I still am not happy. So it is personal preference. We always take the mask and snorkel, but the fins depend on where we are going. This time we will go off of beaches so we will pack the fins. We also take foam Noodles if we are going on our own. Yes they take up room, but make it so easy to snorkel from a beach.

Archived