Alternate insurance plans? 3rd party?

tm5to1

Hello, my family and I are taking a rather expensive cruise next year and for the first time, I'm thinking of purchasing insurance. I hear that the insurance through the cruise line is expensive and limited compared to 3rd party insurers. (I was quoted $79 per person) Anyone have experience purchasing from a 3rd party? Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated...

Hello, my family and I are taking a rather expensive cruise next year and for the first time, I'm thinking of purchasing insurance. I hear that the insurance through the cruise line is expensive and limited compared to 3rd party insurers. (I was quoted $79 per person) Anyone have experience purchasing from a 3rd party? Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated...

Trip Insurance

The Carnival Berkely Policy offers low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (but DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to Pre-Existing Condition) and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning, and cancellation coverage for Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into the Premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit (CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver). Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkley Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway and practically up to sailaway for other Polcies. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health or Homeowners Insurance and the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). If you're traveling with kids, checkout Trave-lEx and Travel-Insured, who insure Kids free with insured adults.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns:

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flite Delay.

TravelInsured includes kids insured free with insured adult.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages included.

You can run sample premiums for your specific age,destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as insuremytrip.com.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA "Comfort" and "Freestyle" Policies, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect. Otherwise you can compare rates and coverages at insuremytrip.com. If you’re a USAA member, checkout their Travel-Insured Polcieis/Rates. You can check rates and such (and purchase direct) at the Insurer's sites or you can do so at InsureMyTrip.com.

Make sure you first check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country coverages and your Homeowners and Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption & Baggage Loss/Delay coverages!!!

$79pp insures $500-$600 per person.

ken

We too purchase independent travel insurance. Firstly, the cost is lower than the cruise line offers (they must be making a profit on the coverage). Secondly, the cruise line coverage "secondary", meaning that you own insurance covers first then the trip insurance you purchased kicks in for the balance, so there is alot of back and forth paperwork. You have to do research to see which independent travel policies are "Primary" coverage, meaning they cover you FIRST for the cost of the policy and you don't need to rely on your own insurance first. These are most expedient and what we always purchase.

I always buy from a third party as that covers you in the unlikely event that the cruiseline/airline etc. goes bankrupt. btw, under 17 yo should be free with the paying adults. This is true so make sure you call them directly when you purchase. A phone call is very easy and the cust. service folks I have dealt with for travel insurance are very nice and knowledgable...at least in my case. Try to buy with 14 days of initial booking however you can buy up to 3 days or so before sailing....but watch out for the pre existing stuff. Simply put...buy as soon as you can...it will save you headaches should you need to use it. Also, if others from your group can't decide...just buy for you and yours.

I always buy trip insurance - cheap for peace of mind. I call insuremytrip and talke to them - I frequently travel with folks from other states and I have a pre-existing condition now.

Archived