day at Mazatlan ????

Tippy N

Our ship will dock in March at Mazatlan at 7AM and leaves at 5:Pm. After reading numerous posting on CC, we will venture to Stone Island and maybe do horseback riding and definitely eat at Victors. We have never been to Mazatlan and also want to also see the Old Mazatlan and the Golden Zone. Will we have enough time to do all this or should we skip one? Any sugguestion is appreciated.( BTW, we are in our 50's if age is a factor at all in choosing one over the other).

following is a copy of a post we recently did:

OK, don't mean to clutter the thread, but wish we had known the info below. Feel free to chime in with your experiences!

We are always up for something new

Mazatlan,

for those planning to head out on their own, some ideas. On many cruises in the past we have done this route, and had a great time.

A Mazatlan taxi can be chartered for the whole day for less than $40 (we have always rented a scooter or golf cart, but we were approached while bargaining for a golf cart inside the terminal recently and we were quoted $40 for the whole day, so you could get it for less outside the terminal). Maybe even 100 pesos and hour ($7.50/hour)

We motor strait up the coast to Playa Bruja where we get the trip started with 2 large WOW margs and chips for $10.

Then we start back and stop at the NEW GINORMOUS ELEGANT RIU HOTEL (it may cost ya to stay and swim).

Then we head south down to the El Cid, where you can stay as long as you like for FREE and pool it, or beach it, or Senor Frog it, when ordering an occasional cool drink.

Then head south for a brief browse in the golden zone shopping district (expensive),

Then head south for a in-expensive shrimp taco and cool drink at a Malacon palapa cafe.

Then head on to old town for a visit to the central market, opera house, or cathedral.

Then say farewell to the cab when he drops you off at the Stone Island water taxi (right near the cruise terminal, $2 round trip), and enjoy more shrimp tacos and cool drinks, and perhaps a horse or atv ride

Then walk back to the nearby, very nice, cruise ship terminal for the final hurrah before boarding the ship.

This is what we have done many times. Wish we had known these places years ago.

First the maps, given to us recently by a vendor in the cruise terminal

The top is north at the Playas Brujas, the bottom is south at the cruise terminal

mazatlanr.jpg

Now for a closer look, first the north half with the Playa Brujas at the top, and Golden Zone at the bottom (north)

mazatlan2r.jpg

Next a closer look at the southern half with the Palapa beach cafe's on the Malecon between the #14 and #1, and all the old town below (market, cathedral, etc.), down to the cruise terminal at the bottom. Stone island is just past the cruise terminal across the channel, just out of the map.

mazatlan3r.jpg

Now the map numbers legend

mazatlan4.jpg

Stone Island water taxi

IMG_8388.jpg

To Stone Island

IMG_8549.jpg

Stone Island

IMG_8430.jpg

Stone Island Taco Cafe with atv rentals, horses nearby

IMG_8528-1.jpg

Take a water taxi back across and walk back to the Cruise Terminal for the Sail Away party

IMG_8597.jpg

Hopes this helps some of ya

I think you might be a little pressed for time doing all that.

We did horseback riding with Randy's Happy Horses and had a good time. Randy was American before moving to Mexico. She is quite a charachter and its a nice excursion. She meets you about 9am at the port. Takes you to Stone Island. Ride the horses for about a hour and half. Lunch at Victors, she buys the first round of drinks. Then few hours on the beach and she gets you back to the pier around 2ish. You could see a bit of Old Mazatlan but if you are like me i like to be back to the pier in plenty of time.

If you want to tour Mazatlan, then i would suggest booking a tour thru Mazatlan Frank. He too is great. Speaks perfect english, very easy going and will design a tour around what you want to see.

Those would be my suggestions based on my 3 visits to Mazatlan.

Since you arrive early, you can go out the cruise terminal and there will be many taxi drivers. Agree on a price with one and tell them you would like to see Old Mazatlan and include the church, market, etc and then let them know you would like to go to the Golden Zone for an hour (or more if you are quite the shopper) to do some shopping. If you want to see the statues and beach along the malecon that connects old Mazatlan to the Golden Zone be sure and tell the taxi driver to drive along the malecon so they don't take back roads (which is a bit quicker). You should then have enough time to go to Stone Island and have lunch at Victors and do some horseback riding and then back to the ship. There are some threads on he board on where and how to catch the water taxi to Stone Island.

I would be sure to tell the taxi driver what time you would like to be back to the cruise terminal so you can plan your time on Stone Island.

enjoy your time in Mexico

If you want a really relaxing time, I would suggest Aroma spa, we went there this past Jan. and it was really good. I would suggest a massage, (that seems to be the most popular) my wife said the facials are just ok. I had a foot massage and it was good, just remember that you will need an appointment, (a lot of people were turned away the day we were there, they are really busy and they get a lot of ship employees) and you are in Mexico, that means you will not be in the lap of luxury. All the cab drivers know where it is, and make sure you get a price for the cab ride before boarding. Once you are done with the spa, Immaculate Conception Cathedral is 3 blocks away, it is beutiful.

Thanks for all of your suggestions ( especially for the photos and maps). As we are press for time, we will probably just taxi to old Mazatlan in the morning and spend the afternoon at Stone Island (with horseback riding)

Since this is our first MR cruise, we also need some advise for Puerto Vallarta.

(Don't know if I should do another thread)

We really want to do the zip line with Los Veranos but our ship docks at 10:am and from what I've read on CC, PV time will be at 11:am. If we sign up for the 11:45 tour ( taxi directly to the tour office) will we have time to go downtown for a couple of hours before our ship sail off ( 6:00pm ship time/7:00 PV time)? If so, will Los Veranos be able to drop us off there.

Thanks for any suggestion on PV. We just booked this cruise a couple of weeks ago :) and now scrambling last minute for some info on how to maximize our experience in the three ports.

I think you might be a little pressed for time doing all that.

We did horseback riding with Randy's Happy Horses and had a good time. Randy was American before moving to Mexico. She is quite a charachter and its a nice excursion. She meets you about 9am at the port. Takes you to Stone Island. Ride the horses for about a hour and half. Lunch at Victors, she buys the first round of drinks. Then few hours on the beach and she gets you back to the pier around 2ish. You could see a bit of Old Mazatlan but if you are like me i like to be back to the pier in plenty of time.

If you want to tour Mazatlan, then i would suggest booking a tour thru Mazatlan Frank. He too is great. Speaks perfect english, very easy going and will design a tour around what you want to see.

Those would be my suggestions based on my 3 visits to Mazatlan.

maxamuus: I see you have sailed multiple cruise lines in Mexico, can you tell me which you preferred? Thanks.

So I checked out Matazlan Frank's website and the tours really don't seem that much cheaper than those booked through the Cruiseline.

If I elect to go for the rent a taxi for a day option on my own, I have a question...

In your experiences, when negotiating for a rate for an all day fare do you pay in advance or at the end?

Then we head south down to the El Cid, where you can stay as long as you like for FREE and pool it, or beach it, or Senor Frog it, when ordering an occasional cool drink.

Bob and Sofi-

Read a large amount of your reviews and seen multiple pictures. I am hoping that you have the information that I need. You have mention numerous times that El Cid is free. I have heard however that when you take their free shuttles that you have to sit through a 1/2 hour time share presentation. Do you take that bus or do you take a taxi to El Cid and then just walk in like you own the place? Also, which El Cid resort is it? According to their website, they have numerous resorts in Mazatlan.

Also, do you know if the Wal-Mart/Sams Club in port is still open and will be this summer? Seems like one of the more convienent places to pick up booze and supplies.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ted

So I checked out Matazlan Frank's website and the tours really don't seem that much cheaper than those booked through the Cruiseline.

If I elect to go for the rent a taxi for a day option on my own, I have a question...

In your experiences, when negotiating for a rate for an all day fare do you pay in advance or at the end?

Pay at the end of the tour, and if he did a good job for you, include a tip.

Archived