cuban cigars

MamaParrotHead

DH will have no trouble finding them in shops on Bay Street. I think I recall dedicated tobacconists. If not, liquor stores abound and I think I recall cigars in some of them. Prices are not as cheap as you might hope - $5 to $10 each. But I suppose, for a once off had to try it thing that's not a big splurge.

Here's some tips-

Box Appearance

A green and white warranty seal should be visible on the left front side of box. The seal’s colour can range from forest to lime-green inside the seal is an insignia that contains a shield with a hat resting on top. The fold line of the seal should run directly through the center of the shield. On the box’s upper right corner should be a white Habanos sticker, pasted diagonally. The box should look in neat and clean condition, free of smudges and scuff marks or dull in colour.

Note: All Cohiba brands will have a green and white warranty seal on right front side of the box and a Habanos sticker will be on box’s upper left corner. This is also true on Trinidad and Q’ dorsay brand.

On the bottom of box you will find a Habanos heat stamp. Make sure it is a heat stamp impressed into the box and not an ink stamp. Below this heat stamp will be a factory code stamp in an ink colour (usually green, blue or black). This tells you the factory where the cigars were rolled and the date.

Box Contents

Upon opening the box pull back the flap, and smell the tobacco. The fragrance should be pleasing, with a rich, deep aroma. The cigars should be uniform in both colour and shape. The top face of the cigar may appear flattened, or what is known as box-pressed. This is particularly true for torpedo shape. The caps should look identical, all resting at an equal distance from the top of the box. The foot of the cigar should be cut clean and straight, and the bands should be identical and aligned perfectly.

On the top and bottom row of cigars there should be a small strip of wax paper running across the bands. Next pull a cigar out of box and feel it, by holding between your thumb and forefinger. Press together down the whole length of the cigar, it should feel firm and even (not a hard spot and then a soft spot). This is always a dead giveaway that the cigars are counterfeit.

tip.gifOverall Tips: bullet1.gifAvoid cigar stores that advertise Cuban cigars, particularly "discounted" Cubans--you're being targeted for a reason and are probably being sold a counterfeit. bullet1.gifThe easiest way to spot a fake is to inspect the ring. If it's loose or out of place, the cigar is either fake or dehydrated. Also, avoid Cuban cigars wrapped in plastic--a sure sign that they were made by machine.

Archived