Exactly how awful is the Sky?

BalconyBreeze

Much like most of you on CC....I have become a regular on the boards and enjoy reading the daily posts/member reviews. While I wish I was going on a different ship, my family is going on the Sky, simply b/c it's a 4 day itinerary and we have two little ones.

I have to tell you.....I have been reading mostly terrible reviews about the SKY. I was just on the Jewel last December and thought it was very good.

A lot of the complaints are about nickle and diming....but I know what to expect in that department and I believe that is why NCL is able to offer such a competitive base fare.

What concerns me is the reviews of the terrible food, terrible service, run down rooms, and oh yeah...the terrible entertainment.

Someone please give me hope for my April cruise!!!:confused:

All I can say is that if you go with this attitude it will probably be horrible.

The Sky is a great little ship. The food should be about the same as the rest of the fleet which in my opinion is good to very good. As for the nickel and diming, I dare you to find another line that does not have similar charges for extras.

Go and form your own opinion and then come back and tell us how it went.

PE

Much like most of you on CC....I have become a regular on the boards and enjoy reading the daily posts/member reviews. While I wish I was going on a different ship, my family is going on the Sky, simply b/c it's a 4 day itinerary and we have two little ones.

I have to tell you.....I have been reading mostly terrible reviews about the SKY. I was just on the Jewel last December and thought it was very good.

A lot of the complaints are about nickle and diming....but I know what to expect in that department and I believe that is why NCL is able to offer such a competitive base fare.

What concerns me is the reviews of the terrible food, terrible service, run down rooms, and oh yeah...the terrible entertainment.

Here is the formula I use ---- Count the negative comments, and find out the capacity of the ship. Calculate the percent of those who were unhappy vs those who didn't find anything to complain about. You will be pleasantly surprised to find that less than one percent of the cruisers are unhappy even though it seems larger than that when you read the boards.

Some people thrive on complaints and controversy. Those are the ones you want to avoid on your cruise. I always go expecting to enjoy myself, and guess what !!! It happens !!!!

If you look for flaws and problems you can find them anywhere, but if you look for good stuff, that is also everywhere.

Case in point --- DW thinks I am handsome, but in reality, I am old and fat. I think she is beautiful, but in reality, she is old and wrinkled.

Got the message ?? I sure hope she doesn't read this or I am dead meat !!! Go and enjoy your cruise. I have never failed to find a palatable meal and good fun on a cruise !!

That might be the greatest post I have ever read! I like your theory on the numbers. I try to think that the majority of the passengers had a fine time and didn't take the time to write about it. For that small percentage that didn't, I suppose it's therapuetic to write a review, detailing their frustration.

Great post! :)

That might be the greatest post I have ever read! I like your theory on the numbers. I try to think that the majority of the passengers had a fine time and didn't take the time to write about it. For that small percentage that didn't, I suppose it's therapuetic to write a review, detailing their frustration.

Great post! :)

Thanks, Breeze --- Now you are ready for your cruise !!!!

Oh - Sh## - I see Bisson was on here. Now he will tell on me !!!

We were on the Sky in December and loved it, loved it, loved it!! We thought the food was excellent. We ate at Cagney's, Le Bistro, the MDR, the buffet, and from room service, all with no complaints, and I highly recommend the room service club sandwich!

Our stateroom was in fine condition, and our room stewards did an excellent job.

We had no complaints other than having to get off so soon!! I fit the cruise in last minute as an add-on to our scuba trip, so it was better than no cruise, but in the future I think I'll stick to a week or longer. Three nights just wasn't enough!! :p

The SKY was our first cruise (last April) and we throughly enjoyed it. On the one hand, so many of the bad reviews of the SKY don't seem to be written "fairly." It seems like folks try and compare the food from a budget cruiseline to a top rated steak house or something. And comments like "I've seen better singers and dancers in high school talent shows" is preposterous.

OTOH, the SKY sure does get a lot of mixed reviews. Make of it what you will. We enjoyed the food, shows, cabin and all around "experience." When I was on the SKY, it seemed like the folks who didn't care for it were older, with a ton of cruises under their belts. What exactly that means is anyone's guess.

You're booked, go have fun. Let us know what you think.

I am older, with a lot of cruises under my belt, and I had a fantastic time on the Sky last August. I found lots of energizing and fun activities while also finding peaceful relaxing moments and areas throughout the ship. I was pleasantly surprised. I found nothing run down about my inside cabin. The television was not modern flat screen and the phone was outdated but I sure was not there to watch it or to take any calls. The staff was great.

coka

Monte, Old buddy -- You will never have to worry about having a heart attack ---- 'cause you don't have a heart !!!!:D OMG here she comes !!

SW, I hope some day you join Monte and me on a cruise. While you and Monte catch up, I will entertain your better halves. I have a many things to share with them!:D

BTW, the Pearl on May 1st still has some nice deals!!!

SW, I hope some day you join Monte and me on a cruise. While you and Monte catch up, I will entertain your better halves. I have a many things to share with them!:D

SW-I say we unite and make Sooners walk the plank--

In the meantime-I'm sending his wife an email

Please don't tell !!!! The gorilla is pretty mean, so I pay hush money willingly !!

May 1 is too close to April 10 (My trip on the Star)

The pool area on the Norwegian is great and the lounge chairs are very comfortable. If you like to sit and have a meal on the back deck, you are in luck because it is fantasic out there. The crew on the Sky is great. OP, you are going to have a great time !! :)

Archived