"old Carnival" vs "New Carnival"

ladycaveat

You know, it's funny . . . I didn't take my first Carnival cruise until 2003. Why? Because all I heard about Carnival was that it was the "drink till you puke" Party Ship. Lots of Spring Breakers, early twenty something singles that only wanted to get drunk and do whatever. Finally decided to see for myself at the ripe old age of 54 if it was true. That cruise was probably one of the best I had ever been on. No, it wasn't the "Party Ship" I had thought it to be but it definatelly was the "Fun Ship" I've come to love. Next September, I will be on my eighth Carnival cruise and I can't wait.

Just curious to see how others feel about cruising on Carnival now vs years ago. I think (unfortunately) a lot of people still view Carnival as it might have been years ago. So what say ya all . . . especially those that cruised in the 90's compared to today?

Funny, we had never thought about going on a cruise till we were invited in 2001 to go on a cruise with a group of family and their family. we went on the Fantasy the week after 9/11 and to this day I can remember how warm and comforting the crew of the Fantasy were to all us "shell-shocked" Americans who were just trying to keep on keeping on.

Alot of people think of Carnival as a real party ship, and to some degree that can be true now, but it all depends on when you plan your trip for. we stay away from holidays, and the middle of spring break (around Easter and the vacation weeks).

I have cruised as much on NCL as CCL and I like them both for different reasons, NCL is a much older crowd (at least on the Fall trips we have taken) and has the Freestyle dining, but now Carnival has that to offer as well.

This time we are going on the Freedom - its another Conquest Class ship - our 3rd true Conquest Class ship - and we are comfortable with the layout, and it should be a lot of fun for all.

So for anyone who has not tried CCL - try it, you'll like it....

Archived