RCI activities for 12-14 age group questions

Shonna

Hello everyone. I will be sailing with my 13 yo DS (soon to be 14 in July) on RCI Explorer of the Seas in April. We have sailed RCI before when he was 10. Back then my DH and I decided for him to not be able to sign himself in and out of he kids room. How does this work for the 12-14 yo age group? Are they able to sign in and out late at night? What kinds of organized activities will there be for him? What is the supervison like for this age group? I do not want him wondering around the ship at night. I know my son (and most children this age) wants to be independent but he is my only child and I still worry about him being out late at night on vacation. Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Teens are free to come and go as they please...and if nobody shows up for an activity, it won't happen. I've got 2 girls, one is 12 and the other 17...they say be sure to show up the first night, because if you don't it's harder to make friends. My 12 yo seemed to have more activity within her age group during the day than the 15-17 group, but both were busy at night, sometimes combined. Teen curfew is 1:00 am, and believe it or not, the fun lasted that late most nights! They usually came and went together, so coming in that late they were never alone. DH and I were in for the night long before that because we also have a 4yo, and we didn't want her out too late. As for supervision, there was always several AO staff members there, and activities varied each night, and differed from ship to ship. There were games of all sorts, foosball and Wii, x-box and the like. One activity my girls really enjoyed was a digital camera scavenger hunt...they separate into groups and wander the ship getting specific snapshots on the list, and then return to Fuel for prizes.

Archived