Snorkeling "The Split" at Caye Caulker

phl2azo

I am traveling next month with my mom and we have decided that we are going to be daring and take the public water taxi to spend the day at Caye Caulker. We'd like to snorkel The Split - it sounds amazing!! (And maybe do a side tour to the reef with Star Tours)

However, I just read one review from hopefully just a very negative person....He said that when you are at The Split you have to watch out for crazy boaters/fisherman that drive really fast and could take your head off. Then he said not to wear anything shiny because there are lots of Baracuda and they are attracted to the sparkly stuff! And then he said to be careful when walking in the weed beds because there are rays that are powerful enough to kill children and seriously hurt adults! What?! Please tell me he is just trying to scare people! I think some people just thrive on putting fear into people.

Has anyone snorkeled The Split before? Did you encounter any "problems"?

Thanks!

Shannan

I am traveling next month with my mom and we have decided that we are going to be daring and take the public water taxi to spend the day at Caye Caulker. We'd like to snorkel The Split - it sounds amazing!! (And maybe do a side tour to the reef with Star Tours)

However, I just read one review from hopefully just a very negative person....He said that when you are at The Split you have to watch out for crazy boaters/fisherman that drive really fast and could take your head off. Then he said not to wear anything shiny because there are lots of Baracuda and they are attracted to the sparkly stuff! And then he said to be careful when walking in the weed beds because there are rays that are powerful enough to kill children and seriously hurt adults! What?! Please tell me he is just trying to scare people! I think some people just thrive on putting fear into people.

Has anyone snorkeled The Split before? Did you encounter any "problems"?

Thanks!

Shannan

When we were on Caye Caulker last fall, we planned to snorkel at " The Split". We walked to the end of the island and once we saw it, I said, I am not going near there. The water was not clear and I thought it was pretty run down compared to other areas.

I just posted on using the water taxi. Just be sure you can get back as the afternoon taxis are packed depending on the number of ships in port. Once they reach their maximum, no one else can board. Be careful of the schedule and be waiting on the dock early as people line up and board based on their place in line. We tried to get on the return ferry and could not along with others. We were on an excursion and returned with that boat.

• 1 month later...

Recently back from our cruise on March 28: Carnival Miracle: Exotic Western Ports. This was our second trip to Belize. 1st trip we did Cavetubingdotcom and throughly enjoyed adventure. This trip we decided to have a leisurely beach day.

Got on 2nd tender from ship to port. We then looked for the Water Taxi to Caye Caulker. It was alittle hard to find but it is right at the pier area. Ask someone to point you in the right direction. Last correspondance on CC the tickets were about $12 per person, but prices have risen and it is now about $17 per person round trip. If you have a group of 10 paid passengers, one person is complimentary. We asked some other Carnival passengers if they wouldn't mind saying we were a group with us so we could get one of the tickets free and divide the difference. Our group included 4 kids: 10-15 yrs. old.

The ride to Caye Caulker is nice and about 40 min. We walked to the Split which means that you turn right as you leave the pier. It is about a 10-15 min. walk thru the town. It reminded me of Costa Maya b/f the hurricane. When we got to the split we found a family living on a boat that rented snorkel equipment for $2.50. Some kids and adults snorkeled right in the area on the beach side. If you are a serious snorkel person you probably would want to arrange something else. We saw lots of small colorful fish, starfish, sea horses. We were able to rent beach chairs and umbrellas at this small beach. You can purchase lunch and drinks if you like. We looked for the man that sold lunch from his grill, but on our day he was not there.

A couple of hours on the beach and we were happy with our day. We returned to the pier to pick up water taxi about 1.5 hrs. b/f last tender to our ship. Give yourself time for the return walk and taxi ride. We shopped some at the port before taxi (waiting to board) and post taxi.

We liked our laid back beach day. There were several other Carnival people and CC members at the same beach with us. I would definitely do this again.

• 1 month later...
Recently back from our cruise on March 28: Carnival Miracle: Exotic Western Ports. This was our second trip to Belize. 1st trip we did Cavetubingdotcom and throughly enjoyed adventure. This trip we decided to have a leisurely beach day.

Got on 2nd tender from ship to port. We then looked for the Water Taxi to Caye Caulker. It was alittle hard to find but it is right at the pier area. Ask someone to point you in the right direction. Last correspondance on CC the tickets were about $12 per person, but prices have risen and it is now about $17 per person round trip. If you have a group of 10 paid passengers, one person is complimentary. We asked some other Carnival passengers if they wouldn't mind saying we were a group with us so we could get one of the tickets free and divide the difference. Our group included 4 kids: 10-15 yrs. old.

The ride to Caye Caulker is nice and about 40 min. We walked to the Split which means that you turn right as you leave the pier. It is about a 10-15 min. walk thru the town. It reminded me of Costa Maya b/f the hurricane. When we got to the split we found a family living on a boat that rented snorkel equipment for $2.50. Some kids and adults snorkeled right in the area on the beach side. If you are a serious snorkel person you probably would want to arrange something else. We saw lots of small colorful fish, starfish, sea horses. We were able to rent beach chairs and umbrellas at this small beach. You can purchase lunch and drinks if you like. We looked for the man that sold lunch from his grill, but on our day he was not there.

A couple of hours on the beach and we were happy with our day. We returned to the pier to pick up water taxi about 1.5 hrs. b/f last tender to our ship. Give yourself time for the return walk and taxi ride. We shopped some at the port before taxi (waiting to board) and post taxi.

We liked our laid back beach day. There were several other Carnival people and CC members at the same beach with us. I would definitely do this again.

What day of the week were you there? I really want to try the grill guy (carlos?) We will be in port on a Wednesday.

I live in San Pedro, Belize. A 15 minute boat ride to Caye Caulker. I try to spend a couple days a month on Caye Caulker.

It is very laid back even by Belize standards. Good snorkeling with no "Killer fish or rays" You will see lots of fish. there is little coral but a lot of concrete junk that has made an artificial reef. The water is clear most times. it may be murky when the sea is choppy. Belize is a poor country. Caye Caulker is a small village. The Lazy Lizard is the bar that is at the Split. You will find BELIKIN BEERS for $4 bz and some good local food and snacks. If you don't mind the logistics of getting there, I would recommend this trip to anyone.

I live in San Pedro, Belize. A 15 minute boat ride to Caye Caulker. I try to spend a couple days a month on Caye Caulker.

It is very laid back even by Belize standards. Good snorkeling with no "Killer fish or rays" You will see lots of fish. there is little coral but a lot of concrete junk that has made an artificial reef. The water is clear most times. it may be murky when the sea is choppy. Belize is a poor country. Caye Caulker is a small village. The Lazy Lizard is the bar that is at the Split. You will find BELIKIN BEERS for $4 bz and some good local food and snacks. If you don't mind the logistics of getting there, I would recommend this trip to anyone.

Not a beer drinker but am very interested in the lobster kabobs by carlos!:D Do you know when he operates(day and time)? Also is there good and easily accessible snorkeling from the Caye? We are considering the Coral Breeze tour to stingray alley and the caye.

Does anyone know how wide The Split is?

Is it swimmable?

Is swimmable a word?

We'll be heading there on the 22nd of September to do all the things that WADETHEGRINGO suggested.

Not sure when and if the Lobster guy is there...Lobster season opens next week. there is a shrimp guy that sells shrimp on a stick...5 shrimp for $5bz

The split is prob about 40-50 yards across. There is a strong current in the middle. but with fins no prob...just look out for boats..they look for you as well. you just have to be careful as you cross....On the other side of the split are mangroves which are the nurseries for fish. lots of babies.

Archived