What to do in Vancouver for the afternoon/evening time

Cheryl H

Planning to come to Vancouver 1 day early for our cruise. Looking at things to do. Need opinions. Here's some of my ideas so far. Need to choose something. We will have a 6 year old boy with us. We will be bidding on a 4* hotel downtown, so not exactly sure yet where we are staying.

How's the aquarium?

hop on/hop off trolley tour?

Is there a harbor tour?

Grouse Mountain sky ride? How far? Is it do-able by taxi?

Also about food.....I love fish and chips from the east coast (Boston). Can I find similar fish and chip meals around Vancouver? I saw a restaurant listed as Fish House in Stanley Park. Anyone know if it is good?

Thanks so much for any assistance you can offer.

Vancouver airport is the nicest airport I've ever been to, so don't be in a hurry to rush off without taking time to appreciate the sculptures.;) ( I seem to remember a waterfall coming down between escalators!

http://www.kidsvancouver.com/ might be a good place to start.

Your Grouse Mountain Admission is your ticket to a multitude of activities and entertainment happening every day at the Peak of Vancouver.

It has a link to grouse mountain, and a list of prices.:eek:

General Admission Membership

Adult (19-64 years) $32.95 $89.95

Seniors (65+ years) $30.95 $69.95

Youth (13-18 years) $18.95 $49.95

Child (5-12 years) $11.95 $29.95

Tots (4 and under) free $24.95

Couple (2 adults) N/A $169.95

Family (2 adults/2 children) N/A $189.95

The aquarium is one of the best in North America. It's in Stanley Park, so before/after it's ideal walking-around country. There's a kid's "farmyard," a miniature railroad, and several other things to do, all within walking distance of the aquarium.

The Fish House is fine but quite expensive. But nobody goes hungry visiting Vancouver. Think salmon.

The kid's petting zoo is on the cost cutting block as the Parks Board needs to balance it's budget - still a chance of a reprieve but I wouldn't count on it.

Two other choices for kids are the Kids Market on Granville Island - the young one will probably like the little ferry that can take you there - also Science World - currently the Russian Pavilion for the Olympics is another great one.

http://www.granvilleisland.com/discover-island/visitors-guide

Don't book Grouse in advance - if it is cloudy you won't enjoy the beauty from the mountain but if you do go your kid should enjoy seeing the two Grizzly bears - Coola and Grinder.

http://www.grousemountain.com - click on summer activites

There are harbour tours available but I don't think there are all that much needed - you will see a fair amount of the harbour as the ship sails from Canada Place - most of the rest of the inner harbour is industrial - if you go to Granville Island and/or Stanley Park you will see lot's more.

Hope this starts you on your way to a great visit to our City

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks everyone. That gives me a lot to research.

I think I'm really leaning towards the Aquarium and Grouse Mountain, but not sure we'll have time for both. I was surprised how much Grouse Mountain costs, but if it includes a lumberjack show, it might be worth doing. I'd love to see the scenery up there.

Planning to come to Vancouver 1 day early for our cruise. Looking at things to do. Need opinions. Here's some of my ideas so far. Need to choose something. We will have a 6 year old boy with us. We will be bidding on a 4* hotel downtown, so not exactly sure yet where we are staying.

How's the aquarium?

hop on/hop off trolley tour?

Is there a harbor tour?

Grouse Mountain sky ride? How far? Is it do-able by taxi?

Also about food.....I love fish and chips from the east coast (Boston). Can I find similar fish and chip meals around Vancouver? I saw a restaurant listed as Fish House in Stanley Park. Anyone know if it is good?

Thanks so much for any assistance you can offer.

I've only been to the Fish House for a very wonderful breakfast; but, would be surprised if all the food there wasn't great. As already said, it ain't cheap.

Vancouver has many very good food opportunities; and, is a very good walking city. We favor the west end, with Denman Street being one eating opportunity after another.

I have done both Mt Roberts and Grouse - it is really hard to compare because with Grouse you are looking down on a City of 2 million while Mt Roberts looks down on a much smaller area - in both cases weather will be your deciding factor.

Below are a couple of images from a trip up Mt Roberts in May 2006 - one from the top of Grouse in 2008 and of course then we have our friends Coola and Grinder to watch

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

315071998_AlasakCruise2006458.jpg.eea70e05e90ffb121b4d0e86de2ac1fc.jpg

1747530352_AlasakCruise2006493.jpg.194e01aba518888e164951c5a93506a9.jpg

1570917926_Grouse-variousalbums441.jpg.2b4c8091bc7fcd0bb3571c4e5465b952.jpg

2082310543_BrightandsunnyJune292008023.jpg.c5fbaa434647419fc76f47aae151269a.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I've about decided to not do the aquarium. We've been to a couple in other cities. I'd rather save time for Grouse or a trolley ride.

I'd like to know how much a taxi will run to take us to Grouse. But I do not know which hotel we'll be staying at yet.

I looked up the Fish House. Looks like they have halibut for 22.95 and fish & chips for 18.95. That's not too high for a vacation meal. Thanks for the info on Denman Street too.

I did find some videos of Grouse on youtube.

I'd like to know how much a taxi will run to take us to Grouse. But I do not know which hotel we'll be staying at yet.

No need to take a taxi. You can take the SeaBus from Waterfront Station (next to Canada Place) and transfer to a bus at Lonsdale Quay that will take you right to Grouse. It's very direct and easy to do. (I think your 6 yr old will like it too.)

SeaBus

Archived