Money Questions

Choinski

- Does the ship charge in American Dollars when in Europe, or does it switch to Euros? (For things like beverages, cash tipping, etc)

- Does the ship have a currency exchange on board, and are the fees reasonable? (For those single day trips to non-Euro countries)

- Do they take credit cards for minor purchases or do they put it on your tab? What's the preferred method?

- I assume, like hotels, you can access room charges through your television set?

Thanks

- Does the ship charge in American Dollars when in Europe, or does it switch to Euros? (For things like beverages, cash tipping, etc)

- Does the ship have a currency exchange on board, and are the fees reasonable? (For those single day trips to non-Euro countries)

- Do they take credit cards for minor purchases or do they put it on your tab? What's the preferred method?

- I assume, like hotels, you can access room charges through your television set?

Thanks

Per HAL's website:

Currency & Exchange

On board our ships, U.S. dollars is the only currency accepted. We also accept U.S. travelers checks. A currency exchange service will be available for selected itineraries, such as our European and World Cruise programs. In most ports of call you may easily exchange your U.S. dollars into the local currency at banks, airports and major hotels. In many countries, you can use your ATM card to obtain local currency. Most locations will accept major credit cards and some will even accept U.S. dollars. If you choose to use U.S. dollars, carry smaller denominations--ones, fives, tens and twenties.

Are the fees reasonable? You would do better at an ATM, ok for small amounts.

All ships purchases are on your card.

I assume, like hotels, you can access room charges through your television set. Not yet on HAL.:mad:

... (For things like beverages, cash tipping, etc)

On our two European cruises I have tipped our stewards partially with "left over" Euros at cruise end when the ship was going to continue doing more cruises in Europe after I debarked. They do get shore leave periodically, and can use the Euros then, or can exchange them with friends who are going ashore. Of course 1 Euro is worth approximately $1.50, so a 20 Euro bill is better than a $20 in that regard! ;)

You can also exchange foreign currencies back to $US at the front desk after leaving a country. Bills only - no coins.

Archived