distance rotorua to taupo

jackiedanny

hi, can anyone tell me the time it would take to drive to taupo from rotorua on route 5? we will be going to wai-o-tapu thermal park and i would like to see huka falls and craters of the moon

thanks

jackiedanny:)

Kia ora,

If you are on a cruise ship it will take you about an hour to drive from the port to Rotorua (on the left hand side of the road. Wai-o-tapu, which is a favourite with me, is then a further 20 minutes drive from Rotorua. If you time it right in the morning you can see the geyser erupting. Huka falls & Craters of the moon are not far from Taupo itself (Rotorua side of Taupo). I would allow about an hour to drive from Rotorua to Taupo. Huka falls is on the Waikato river, which is used to generate much of the North Island's electricity. If you are there when the control gates are opened it is a spectacular sight. Craters of the Moon has some fascinating boiling mud pools and is near the place where much of our geo-thermal electricity is generated (a renewable resource like hydro-electricity). You can see hot pools etc at wai-0-tapu and Rotorua itself if you don't have time to get to Taupo.

Aquarians

thanks aquarians, i was hoping you would reply, as you have to previous questions i have posted,you have been an invaluable source of information for me for this trip to your area of new zealand, i see i will have time to drive to huka falls and maybe into taupo itself althought the last time i was there (on a tour bus ) the town was absolutely packed and full of traffic jams but some festival or event was on at the time so we didnt get to see much

thanks again

thanks aquarians, i was hoping you would reply, as you have to previous questions i have posted,you have been an invaluable source of information for me for this trip to your area of new zealand, i see i will have time to drive to huka falls and maybe into taupo itself althought the last time i was there (on a tour bus ) the town was absolutely packed and full of traffic jams but some festival or event was on at the time so we didnt get to see much

thanks again

Thanks, Just noticed you are from WA so driving on LHS won't be any trouble. Happy to help with any queries. We have family in Perth & always enjoy our visits there. Which part of WA are you in? You can fly direct from Perth to Auckland on Air NZ.

Like Rotorua, Taupo tends to get busy if there is a major event on. Our events tend to be in the weekend & here in Rotorua tend to involve one of the lakes (sailing, fishing, rowing etc) the forrest (running, mountain biking etc) road running or football, netball etc., or Maori centred events. What time of the year are you planning to be here? Christmas/new year is the busiest or when an event such as the marathon is on.

Aquarians

hi i come from safety bay which is down rockingham way, we will be cruising out of sydney and will be in tauranga on march 8 off the cruise ship volendam i have been looking up road maps on google and have decided to do wai-o-tapu then taupo on sh 5 then take alternative route back to rotorua sh 1 and 30 then onto te puke on sh 33 and back to tauranga it is really an exercise in seeing some of the nz interior but will stop for photos etc i thought 1.5 hours at wai-o-tapu then see for time, i reckon we have 6 hours to do a giant figure 8 with rotoura in the middle need to get back to car place for 1630

have you driven in australia are there any different road rules? someone said, and i don't know if this is right, that if you are going straight ahead at lights you have to give way to people turning right first ( they would be crossing your path) in australia people turning right at lights have to wait for through traffic

jackiedanny

thanks

hi i come from safety bay which is down rockingham way, we will be cruising out of sydney and will be in tauranga on march 8 off the cruise ship volendam i have been looking up road maps on google and have decided to do wai-o-tapu then taupo on sh 5 then take alternative route back to rotorua sh 1 and 30 then onto te puke on sh 33 and back to tauranga it is really an exercise in seeing some of the nz interior but will stop for photos etc i thought 1.5 hours at wai-o-tapu then see for time, i reckon we have 6 hours to do a giant figure 8 with rotoura in the middle need to get back to car place for 1630

have you driven in australia are there any different road rules? someone said, and i don't know if this is right, that if you are going straight ahead at lights you have to give way to people turning right first ( they would be crossing your path) in australia people turning right at lights have to wait for through traffic

jackiedanny

thanks

Kia ora,

You will have about 4 hours driving time if you are including Taupo but would certainly see some of the 'heartland'. Depending on how much time you have, with 1.5 hours for Wai-o tapu & a visit to attractions in Taupo you may be pushed for time if you want to visit any other spots.

I have driven in WA & had no trouble with traffic rules so you should find it OK here. The roads in this district are not fast motorways. You give way to through traffic if you are turning right across their path, through traffic wouldn't have to give way to you. At an intersection, right turning traffic has priority over left turning traffic going into the same road - if in doubt give way!

Aquarians

Archived