Liberty review - Western, Feb. 7 - with photos

Badlands99

OK, PACruiser...

I just noticed the date of your cruise, so for giggles I've arrived at my recommended time for your reservation.

Sunset on April 20, at Costa Maya, going by EST or "ship time," is at 7:11 pm, so your ideal reservation time is exactly 6:41pm. Be sure to tell the maitre'd that it MUST be that exact time :D

Seriously though, if you arrive somewhere around that time, you should be able to enjoy broad daylight, dusk, and full dark while you're there. And if you go to Chops instead and are lucky enough to have a clear sky, you might get to see the actual sunset as well, depending on a few factors.

OK, now my head hurts :p

Have a great cruise!

Oops, my bad! (I work with teens, so I pick up the "lingo" sorry!) I meant Portofino....because you had a reservation at Portofino...and guess where my reservation is....you got it...Portofino! Wow, where was my head this morning?

Thank you for your detective work...very impressive! Our reservation is at 6:30. So, it sounds like it shall be just right. Your review has been great reading while looking forward to this cruise. I am very excited now...

Have you noticed how folks keep this thread going ? I think many of them are like me...we just look forward to our daily laugh !!!

Do you have a blog ? Now,I know nothing about blogging but I bet yours would be a real day brightner

I'm going to be on this exact ship and itinerary in December this year, still a while away I know, but your review has been great. This is going to be my first cruise so now I have a really good idea of what to look forward to. Thanks!

Have you noticed how folks keep this thread going ? I think many of them are like me...we just look forward to our daily laugh !!!

Do you have a blog ? Now,I know nothing about blogging but I bet yours would be a real day brightner

How kind of you.

I don't have a blog. I would totally write one if I had enough to talk about, but unless I begin cruising every other week or something, I'd quickly run out of material. It would probably turn into a place for me to b17ch about politics, or maybe something even worse, if there is such a thing.

I can recommend a blog for you, though. This guy is very good and funny. He doesn't update as often as I'd like, but you can go back and read his archives and that should keep you busy for a little while. Anyway it's called Salami Tsunami. Be warned, though. There's jackassery and impure language at times.

http://salamitsunami.com/

Say, I just noticed that you're going on a river cruise! That's cool, and I'm jealous. Which country/river? Have you been on one of those before? How does that work? Do they stop at ports daily? What is it like?

Say, I just noticed that you're going on a river cruise! That's cool, and I'm jealous. Which country/river? Have you been on one of those before? How does that work? Do they stop at ports daily? What is it like?

This will be our first river cruise..going down the Danube starting in Budapest ending in Nurmeberg then on to Prague by coach for 3 days. We do stop at a port every day. We are really looking forward to it as I have heard people who love ocean cruise really really love river cruising. I hope we dont get hooked....they cost about 3 x as much.

We will be travelling on LOS 3/21 also. The pictures are great and the information also great. My Dad and friends will be travelling with us and he is a WWII VET, Battle of the Bulge, Normandy Beach. He loves to dance so I am sure you will see him and his friends everywhere!

Thanks again for the review can't wait to see Liberty.

:):)

Jo

This will be our first river cruise..going down the Danube starting in Budapest ending in Nurmeberg then on to Prague by coach for 3 days. We do stop at a port every day. We are really looking forward to it as I have heard people who love ocean cruise really really love river cruising. I hope we dont get hooked....they cost about 3 x as much.

Judie,

I went to Budapest last year for work and got to walk around at night when I was off and it was an amazing place!

To the OP! I am going on my first cruise in November and it isn't on the Liberty but Voyager but I loved your posts and photos. I am just starting to get into photography and really appreciate your photos. I started with a Digital Rebel (the original) and just upgraded to a 50D. I hope to take it along with me and maybe I will be blessed with a couple of photos as good as yours. I also like the stopshootingauto blog it is really helped me out.

I loved your comparison photo of the dual staircase. That had me rolling but you became my HERO with the cards! I am 35 and a geek and believe it or not I just bought a cut metal Autobot emblem for the front of my truck to replace the toyota logo. (I tend to want to be the good guy).

For Johnny rockets does the $5 dollars include the shake? I can't figure that out. If not what was your total tab there if you don't mind me asking and what did you order. What items are included for the $5?

Thanks for reading!

The weather when we were in Cozumel was nearly perfect. I'd call it "mostly sunny" as the occasional cloud did block the sun at times. It was warm, with a nice soft breeze. The water was a tad cool at first, but not uncomfortably so. That was pretty darn close to a perfect beach day for us.

When you say "we leave in 2 weeks," can I take that to mean that includes me? :)

What stateroom are we staying in? :D

We are going to Nachi Cocum, but decided NOT to book our excursions like the 'glass bottom boat', or para-sailing until there. Will there be any problems getting those services when we arrive?:rolleyes:

Loved your review, and especially the pics. By the way, the disposable camera you used with the stingrays. What brand was it? Nice,clear photos.:)

We will be travelling on LOS 3/21 also. The pictures are great and the information also great. My Dad and friends will be travelling with us and he is a WWII VET, Battle of the Bulge, Normandy Beach. He loves to dance so I am sure you will see him and his friends everywhere!

Jo

Hi Jo..we will be on the same sailing. I sure hope we get to see you Dad and his friends out on the dance floor...we would love to give him a big salute !!

Jo

Jo, did you head over to our Roll Call for the cruise? There's a ton of other people all gathered over there and getting excited for the trip. Come on by and say hi1

... a WWII VET, Battle of the Bulge, Normandy Beach. He loves to dance so I am sure you will see him and his friends everywhere!

Jo

Wow.

WWII Vet. Battle of the Bulge. Normandy. Loves to dance.

I love it! I wish I could be there.

Thanks for sharing that.

Jo

My dad, (now 90) was at D-Day. Captain of C company Ranger Battalions that landed on the beach...Tom Hanks played his position in Saving Private Ryan. Is still alive, but is in decline. My best to your Dad and it is a blessing that he can still party and cruise with you!

To the OP! I am going on my first cruise in November and it isn't on the Liberty but Voyager but I loved your posts and photos. I am just starting to get into photography and really appreciate your photos. I started with a Digital Rebel (the original) and just upgraded to a 50D. I hope to take it along with me and maybe I will be blessed with a couple of photos as good as yours. I also like the stopshootingauto blog it is really helped me out.

I loved your comparison photo of the dual staircase. That had me rolling but you became my HERO with the cards! I am 35 and a geek and believe it or not I just bought a cut metal Autobot emblem for the front of my truck to replace the toyota logo. (I tend to want to be the good guy).

For Johnny rockets does the $5 dollars include the shake? I can't figure that out. If not what was your total tab there if you don't mind me asking and what did you order. What items are included for the $5?

Howdy and thanks for the comments.

The 50D is an AWESOME camera. I have an associate who shoots all of his assignments with one of those. The line between pro and consumer cameras has been smeared to the point of being indistinguishable. I haven't seen that blog, but I like the idea of it. DEATH TO THE GREEN BOX! :D

And I'm thrilled that you liked my contact cards. I was convinced I had wasted my time doing that. I also have a Toyota truck and I'd go with the Autobot logo for that, too, I think. Good choice. I used the Decepticon on the card because that's SO similar to the crown and anchor logo of RCCL.

As for Johnny Rockets, it's $4.95 per person as a cover charge. That gets you any food on the menu that you want. It does not include shakes, sodas, floats, etc. Those you have to pay for, in addition to the cover charge. We had a coupon for buy-one-get-one milkshakes, and I think they're about $5 also, so our total bill was around $15 I guess. The coupon was from a booklet that is given to repeat customers. Our booklet (the lowliest version, since we had only cruised 3 times previously) was mostly useless, but we did use the b1g1 milkshake coupon, and the $5 internet access credit (x2, since we each got a booklet).

At JR, they start bringing fries and onion rings as soon as you're seated. My wife had a big hot dog with some toppings and junk, and I had a specialty burger of some sort, with all kinds of good stuff on it. I could easily make a meal out of the shake and a basket or two of onion rings. Yummy.

Have a great cruise!

Wow - I just came across this post, and what perfect timing...going on the exact same cruise this coming Sunday! Thanks so much for all the tips! I also followed Trainman's blog from the Oasis and will definitely be trying the breakfast sandwich!

I think the captain may have had a couple of "drinks of the day" because, as you can see, we skidded sideways and nearly smacked into Cuba...

IMG_2212.jpg

I love this channel. At one point on the last sea day, this graphic indicated a relative wind speed of 56 MPH. They should have kites on hand for days like that.

This post made me laugh out loud!

We are going to Nachi Cocum, but decided NOT to book our excursions like the 'glass bottom boat', or para-sailing until there. Will there be any problems getting those services when we arrive?:rolleyes:

Loved your review, and especially the pics. By the way, the disposable camera you used with the stingrays. What brand was it? Nice,clear photos.:)

Hola Garibaldi. I didn't explore any excursions at Nochi except for splurging $5 on that kayak, so I can't say for sure about those other things. I CAN tell you that when I inquired about the kayak, the guy asked if I'd be interested in any other activities, and even offered to negotiate the rates on some things. Based on that, I would think that you'd be fine arranging for those things after you get there.

That disposable camera was a Fuji brand item from WalMart. Those things do an OK job. Those underwater shots of the rays were just "blind" grab shots, meaning I just held the camera underwater, like out in front of my navel, and pointed in the general direction of passing rays. I was lucky enough to get a couple frames with some rays in them :o

Have a great cruise!

My dad, (now 90) was at D-Day. Captain of C company Ranger Battalions that landed on the beach...Tom Hanks played his position in Saving Private Ryan. Is still alive, but is in decline. My best to your Dad and it is a blessing that he can still party and cruise with you!

Are your dad's initials R.E.G.?

I'm thrilled that this discussion has become an opportunity for me to say thanks to people like your dad. Please tell him that he is my hero. Ranger Battalion? Captain? That's amazing! You are a descendant of royalty.

Thanks for telling us about him.

Are your dad's initials R.E.G.?

I'm thrilled that this discussion has become an opportunity for me to say thanks to people like your dad. Please tell him that he is my hero. Ranger Battalion? Captain? That's amazing! You are a descendant of royalty.

Thanks for telling us about him.

Yes...that's my Daddy!

I will tell My Dad about all the good wishes people have sent him. I'm proud of your Dad as I am of mine. My Dad was in C BATTERY. I will have to ask him what the company was. Most times he stays up later they my husband and I. His lady friend is 88 and she's out dancing with him too. I'm glad he can still do the things he enjoys.

Jo:):)

Archived