XM Radio

Kim225

A few years back I did an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Explorer out of New Jersey and brought my Sirius radio and antenna. I was on the starboard side and was able to get a single all the way down to St. Thomas. On the way back the shadow of the ship blocked my signal. I used magnetic bull nose clips to hook my home antenna to the steel lip at the top of the balcony so I could get a nice clear view of the sky. My wife thought it was overkill but I enjoyed it. Especially when I was sick with fever and sore throat in St. Thomas and could lay out on the balcony and listen to Howard Stern. I may have been sick but I had warm breezes, beautiful scenery and some good laughs. There are worse ways to be sick. Back then I heard that XM satellites coverage did not reach as far off-shore as the Sirius satellites but with them being merged now I would expect all things to be equal. I would guess that if you have an aft cabin your chances may be even better. Good luck.

Ken

Has anyone ever brought an XM radio on their cruise? Do you know if it will work i.e. will we be able to pick up a signal?

We will be on the Independence of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean.

Thanks!

I brought my portable XM with me on Oasis in late December and had no trouble picking up a signal!

Whoever said don't bother either hasn't tried recently or had bad luck.

Archived