Pompeii from Amalfi or Sorrento?

It is a few miles shorter to get from Sorrento to Pompeii than it is from Amalfi to Pompeii. Also, the route from Sorrento would take you along the breathtakingly beautiful Amalfi coast drive, which is all the more reason to go from there. And finally (if you need one more reason :)) Amalfi is close to Positano and Ravello, two of the most lovely & magical spots on all of the Amalfi coast, so if I were you I'd take that day at Amalfi and visit the immediate vicinity, rather than spend the day at Pompeii.

Hope this helps!

LeeAnne

Just to add to LeeAnne's helpful post, you will take the local Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento north (back towards Naples) to the Pompei Scavi stop. It's about a 30 minute trip, and the train runs about every 30 minutes. You can check the schedule here: http://www.vesuviana.it/orario_ol/orari.asp I think it costs about 2E each way.

Amalfi is roughly 30 miles south of Sorrento. I agree with LeeAnne, what a lovely day you'll have exploring the gorgeous cliff-hanging towns down there!

That part of Italy is intoxicating...have a wonderful visit!

Perfect plan, Ventura! You'll have a great time. Wish my upcoming Med cruise was stopping near the Amalfi coast...but not this time. I'll just have to console myself with my day in the Cinque Terre (like that would be a hardship!).

Btw, are you by any chance from Ventura, CA? If so, I'm just down the 101 in Thousand Oaks. :)

LeeAnne

Lee Ann,

The reason we chose this cruise was because of the itinerary....it went to all the places we wanted to see!

No, I'm not from Ventura....I'm a FL girl. Ventura is the name of my sailboat. I just like the way it sounds.

If my cruise went to all the places I wanted to see, I'd be on it for two months! ;) I had to pick one that at least mostly visited locations I haven't been to yet. But it's definitely going to be painful to know that I'll be so close to the Amalfi Coast and not actually be able to go there. Oh well, next time...

LeeAnne <-----fellow sailer and former owner of a Catalina 30 :)

Archived