credit cards in Mexico

SheriAZ

Someone told my usband we should only use cash in Mexico because are credit card is very likely to get hi-jacked in Mexico. What is your opinion? For what it's worth, we were hijacked without even leaving our house! I would rather not carry a bunch of cash.

Hi!! My recommendation will be to bring your credit card with you and use it without fear. Bad things can happen anywhere in the world. Just make you sure you write the information of your credit card on a separate piece of paper where you can have it handy in case is stolen. I have traveled all over Mexico and have never had a problem. When you go to restaurants make sure you get a receipt, this way you can prove you charged the amount only once. When you pay for items it is usually done right in fron of you. Do not be afraid to use it, but I will also recommend you bring some cash with you. Dollalrs are accepted anywhere in Mexico,

just make sure you chek the exchange rate at every port. It varies on daily basis so calculate around 10.00 pesos for every $1.00 dollar. It is less but this way you can convert faster, just take one cero off the amount in pesos. Hope this helps....Enjoy and have a nice cruise:)

We just got back from Mexico on the Spirit, and we used our credit card with no problems. I have checked online since our return, and yes, there is a small foreign transaction fee, but no unauthorized charges. Also, by using your credit card, you get the best rate of exchange. Most stores and restaurants in Acapulco want to give you a 10:1 exchange if you use dollars, even though the exchange is closer to 13:1. Some will give you the prevailing rate if you press them. I think we had a combination of all scenarios while we were there!:D

I actually had my credit card "skimmed" in Cozumel a few years back ... as far as I can determine, it happened at Senor Frog's. About $7000 was racked up in a matter of a couple of days, and all over Mexico (the thieves sell the information). The best advice I received came from the credit card company: do not let the card out of your sight! If you use it at a restaurant or bar, accompany the server to the cashier's station and watch the transaction. Take the card back as soon as it's run through. Since my one bad experience, nothing further has occurred ... and I've probably spent a few thousand dollars there. I guess they figure that I'm more astute than the average tourist.

Capitol One is indeed the only credit card comopany that does not charge a fee for transactions in foreign countries. I used it all over Europe on our transatlantic cruise last November ... and the rate of exchange was good.

Use a little caution and common sense ... you'll be fine.

Al

I have better advice. Use your credit card with care no matter where you are in the world.

igraf

Hi!! My recommendation will be to bring your credit card with you and use it without fear. Bad things can happen anywhere in the world.

I spend alot of time in Cabo each year and only use my credit card to check out of my resort. They still print the entire number on the receipts there, not just the last 4 digits like here so it is very easy for someone to get your number. Take an ATM card and withdraw pesos as needed. You will get a much better exchange than using US dollars.

Another point to add is always check your credit card receipt carefully and make sure there aren't any other charges or increases in prices. Especially at a busy restaurant. Happened once in Cancun to us. Not by much $$...but they tacked on about $20 for a couple of extra meals and drinks that we didn't order. But, then again, this stuff happens ALL over the world. I still feel safer in the Yucatan than alot of places in the U.S.

I spend alot of time in Cabo each year and only use my credit card to check out of my resort. They still print the entire number on the receipts there, not just the last 4 digits like here so it is very easy for someone to get your number. Take an ATM card and withdraw pesos as needed. You will get a much better exchange than using US dollars.

This is very important information to be aware of. Your CC number will be on most register receipts and your card can be in serious trouble by the time you get back from vacation. Is it likely that someone will hijack your number? Probably not. But you are safer to use an ATM machine, get pesos and spend them. No extra numbers floating around Mexico is a good plan.

Archived